Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2018/19 Winter Banter and General Discussion - We winter of YORE

Baroclinic Zone

21 minutes ago, wxmanmitch said:

High of 47.8° F even with nearly full sunshine this afternoon, but we are starting to get some high cirrus now though. The valleys were in the upper 50s to near 60. It actually felt a little hot in the sun, since I was dressed for 40-42° F and overcast like it was prior to noon.

The roads are getting soft and muddy today. They were still hard this morning, but the sun and snowmelt has softened the roads to the point where you get those ruts. Therefore, I declare today the beginning of mud season.

Tentatively, I'd give this winter a C+. Novie was epic (especially with that 2 footer I had right after Turkey Day), but December was a ratter. January was decent, but nothing special. February and March have been disappointing with nothing over 6". We had no measurable snow for 2 weeks in early February, which must be a hard feat to pull off up here.

At least we've had a steady, uninterrupted snow pack and no mega February torches like the past two seasons. The hard snow pack has been good for snow mobiling, and the ski areas got a good base established early.

That storm was after thanksgiving? I thought December. Is that the one that gave 12-18 prior to upslope? I remember even adjacent Monroe MA I think had 18”. Nothing much just south. 

15 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Wow really? Even in torch spots i haven’t seen one green shoot yet. 

Yeah... its been unusually sunny but not unusually warm.  This is about normal for early bulbs down here.  There's a massive lag between the first signs of spring here, and any larger perennials doing anything though, let alone the trees.  Places a little further inland usually go zooming past us as we have weeks of damp fog.  

22 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

What's the long term average?  49" is a good amount of snow for what basically seemed like no snow for 3 months.

Logan is 44”. The guy near me  in Hingham 30 yr is near 48 I think. The thing is, I got similar amounts interior for this year, but it got washed away quite a bit. Finally had snowpack the last month or so. 

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Logan is 44”. The guy near me  in Hingham 30 yr is near 48 I think. The thing is, I got similar amounts interior for this year, but it got washed away quite a bit. Finally had snowpack the last month or so. 

That's crazy though when you really think about it.  Looking back on this winter in the sea scrolls, someone in like 50 years will be like oh, a normal snow winter.  Even in a crap winter like this you guys pull normal snowfall...it really takes a ratter to truly deliver below normal snow.  Like 2015-16 was terrible but I think you guys were near normal as well?  

Also shows why straight snowfall totals don't tell the whole story, not by a longshot.  

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

That's crazy though when you really think about it.  Looking back on this winter in the sea scrolls, someone in like 50 years will be like oh, a normal snow winter.  Even in a crap winter like this you guys pull normal snowfall...it really takes a ratter to truly deliver below normal snow.  Like 2015-16 was terrible but I think you guys were near normal as well?  

Also shows why straight snowfall totals don't tell the whole story, not by a longshot.  

We haven’t had a true ratter since 11-12. Pretty remarkable we lucked out again this year. My childish behavior paid off with 16” last Monday. 

This winter frustrated the hell out of me. To the point where I got emotions I never had before. :lol:  Perhaps because it was good fairly close by relatively speaking. Maybe we can all do 08-09 and 10-11 and all be happy. :) 

3 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

We haven’t had a true ratter since 11-12. Pretty remarkable we lucked out again this year. My childish behavior paid off with 16” last Monday. 

This winter frustrated the hell out of me. To the point where I got emotions I never had before. :lol:  Perhaps because it was good fairly close by relatively speaking. Maybe we can all do 08-09 and 10-11 and all be happy. :) 

Had a week at Camp Pitchafit?

• Haha 1

C-

With avg snowfall I start right at a C and adjust from there. Decent, sustained pack for most of the winter. Occasional good cold shots. However just way too frustrating with the cutters and the frequent light junk events...so I knock it down slightly. Still time to go obviously.

C-. Bookend winters blow, even if I got within an inch or two of climo. For a while there I think my winter rainfall exceeded my snow. Still, we pulled off an epic squall, a strong November event, a frigid Thanksgiving, a double digit snow last week and the first significant ice storm in a long time in January. We damaged trees. If not for the positive bust last week, this would've been a straight F. If we can pull off a sneaky event next week during the PNA spike, maybe this can pull a gentlemanly C. 

6 hours ago, dryslot said:

There has not been one single coastal storm that has produced 12" of snow up here in this area this season, That is rare, Huggers and runners sure, We have had some this season, You should know, You have been the beneficiary of them, But for you and scooter to get whacked on a true coastal for snow, The circulation would have to be quite broad, But i don't think anything taking a track 50-100 miles off the coast of any significance is not going to benefit your area, But would have delivered 12"+ here.

Yeah that's very unusual for up there, obviously. On a selfish note, last weeks storm that gave me 12.4", continuing my personal streak (between living in Boston and NNJ) of now 7 straight Winter's with at least one snowstorm of at least a foot. Winter 2011-2012 was my last shutout of a 12 incher. Before that clunker of a year I had at least one 12" storm every Winter since the real clunker of a Winter in NNJ in 2006-2007. That was 4 years in a row. Before that, it was 2001-2002 for another 4 consecutive years.

So 15 out of the last 18 Winter's have featured a snowstorm for me of at least a foot. That to me is remarkable! It might not sound like a lot or even that amazing to you guys in NNE or really SNE for that matter but I think it's pretty cool and quite the statistical anomaly (signs of more juiced up systems?).

Last quick note, this was the first Winter in at least the last 4 or 5 consecutive Winter's (I can't remember exactly) that I was not under a Blizzard Warning at any point. It seemed like it was a guarantee every year there for a while. And I'm talking about just having a Blizzard Warning issued for me at some point, not whether it verified or not, of which, I think less than half actually verified.

As many have said on here, it's been an amazing run for everyone basically Northeast of Trenton, NJ, especially and more so for SNE.  Regression is due/overdue

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

C-

With avg snowfall I start right at a C and adjust from there. Decent, sustained pack for most of the winter. Occasional good cold shots. However just way too frustrating with the cutters and the frequent light junk events...so I knock it down slightly. Still time to go obviously.

Oh jeez, if average snowfall is a C then this winter might be a B?  Snowfall has evened out to not that far above normal but snowpack has been deep all winter so bump it up a full grade.  Lots of mixed events and rain up here too.  But 2-3 12"+ events and a bunch of warning level storms helps.