Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2018/19 Winter Banter and General Discussion - We winter of YORE

Baroclinic Zone

15 hours ago, wxmanmitch said:

Snow pack depth average is around 30" with a range from 26-35". It is a solid glacier below the top 6-8" and you can walk on top of it without ever really sinking in. I have my Davis VP2 sensor suite 8' up and it is at about eye level. I'm 5' 8". The snow pack was about 4-4.5' deep last year at this time, but the pack was much softer and didn't have as much water in it. I've had at least 1" of snow OTG since November 9th, which is now 123 days straight.

The snow blower path to the propane tank is a little over 3' deep.

Looks like my path to the shed.  40" at the stake this morning, in the middle of our garden spot.  Be a while before I crank the tiller.  Continuous cover Nov. 10 on, so one day later than at your place.  We'll see how much farther into April your pack survives compared to mine.  We're about 100 miles north, but 1,800' lower elevation - only CAD makes it close for pack retention.

• Like 1

With 3.5" last night the snow depth is back up to 28" here, the season high.  With the thaw starting late this week, it looks like this may be the max.

Snow is back to level with the top of the picnic tables in town.

Big difference from east side and west side in depths...but from J.Spin's 31.5" on north/northeast it's just widespread 26-32" depths.

nji4Uba.gif

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chrisrotary12 said:

Random: Just noticed how many would be unhappy with a Blizzard of '88 redux. Anyone east of ORH basically.

snowdepthmap.jpg

You know ...it's funny you mentioned this - haha

I have thought that exact same thing since the culture of this particular type of social media became more coherent over the years... 

what a suicide pact that would be with Scott probably the Cult leader -

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Such a small geographic area would be unhappy with that one... but it's a populated and vocal area ;).

There's something about that snow distribution that is off...   I mean it's entirely legit - that's not what I mean..

But, usually ... you wouldn't see monolithic totals a mere 50 miles from nothing, like you see demarcating the Capital District of eastern NYS from that western arc of the shield.  

It just seems like that storm had ( much to the vitriol of the covenant, no doubt!) some actual spring taint involved with it.  Like it was nucleus'ed around a deep dynamic core, which is typical of spring storms.. . 

But, at the same time ... not really.  Because there was bone chilling cold that got inserted into the core of that thing where it was snowing prolifically... There was legit winter-based cold involved too.  I almost wonder ... hmm... I think it is possible that the storms thermal profile was more glopped above a low level arrival of cold that got ingested.  Such that it snowed from an "elevated" blue bomb down into a llv arctic insertion of air.. .

24 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

What a glorious system.

I'd put 1888, 1978, 2013 in the pantheon of CT blizzards with 88 head and shoulders above the other two. 

Did 2013 have winds comparable to the other 2?  And I can't think of any major EC blizzards beyond 1888 that featured temps 30° BN (mainly for the HV.)  Closest might be April 1982.  Another incredibly powerful storm I'd note, even though it affected a far tinier population, is the BGR blizzard of 12/30-31/1962 - 30-45", 60 mph winds, 16 ft drifts, temps cycling from near freezing to subzero, possibly more than once as the LP did a loop in the GOM.  The BDN was unable to publish an issue for the only time in its (now) 200+ year history.  My favorite anecdote from that storm concerned a plow truck getting stuck on outer Hammond Street (near the AP), the big 6WD grader sent to the rescue getting stuck, then a large dozer, which also got stuck.  Unsaid but probable is that all 3 operators repaired to Pilot's Grill and warmed their toes with hot toddies.

• Like 1

Also ... pointing out the obvious ...  there was no Logan airport in 1888 ... I wouldn't be shocked if the actual lat/lon point of where Logan would eventually situate, ... had far less than 12" that fateful occasion.   That 12" ... I wonder where that was measured.  

Here's what I arrogantly think happened...  A very powerful mid/U/A system with a strongly torquing NW flow at 300 mb was fisting SE out of western Quebec/Eastern Ontario toward the backside of a frontal passage that otherwise would have separated early spring mild air from rotted polar air on the west side - but probably still cold enough for parachutes in the latter ... 

The main jet ...as is typical in spring, cuts N and abandons all that mechanical momentum, which immediately closed the 500 mb surface with so much dynamic power, it drilled a hole through the 700 ...800...and instantiates unusually strong easterly anomalies off the deck ... bowing the previous day's fropa back west.. If there was ptype rad in the day, it would have looked like one of these coastal at max ...

half.jpg

At which point the storm was probably more like a proper, albeit intense ...spring blue blue ... But then something very fortuitous took place to placate and enable the gape factor for historians and drooling social medialites of the far distant future ...  an arctic air mass arrived in the last half to 1/3rd of the event, crashed temperatures, adding stack factors and also solidifying what had already fallen into a magnificent sintering mess

54 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

With 3.5" last night the snow depth is back up to 28" here, the season high.  With the thaw starting late this week, it looks like this may be the max.

Snow is back to level with the top of the picnic tables in town.

Big difference from east side and west side in depths...but from J.Spin's 31.5" on north/northeast it's just widespread 26-32" depths.

nji4Uba.gif

Man pack.  That’s solid. Pretty sweet winter there.