Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2018/19 Winter Banter and General Discussion - We winter of YORE

Baroclinic Zone

58 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Ouch, everyone ok?

The people are ok not sure yet about the cats.  The funny thing is when I took the dogs out I thought  The smoke I smelled wasn't right, didn't smell like a wood stove.   I wished I had gone over and investigated but I stopped beating myself up about it because the three minutes quicker the FD may have gotten there probably would not have lessened  the damage  since it was all in the walls.

It's still a good lesson in trusting your intuition when something seems off.

1 minute ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

The people are ok not sure yet about the cats.  The funny thing is when I took the dogs out I thought  The smoke I smelled wasn't right, didn't smell like a wood stove.   I wished I had gone over and investigated but I stopped beating myself up about it because the three minutes quicker the FD may have gotten there probably would not have lessened  the damage  since it was all in the walls.

It's still a good lesson in trusting your intuition when something seems off.

Thats so true, first instinct is usually right

13 hours ago, dendrite said:

Looks like they pulled a 32/-19 for a 51F range. 35/-17 at Lancaster and 30/-20 at Errol too.

In the same ballpark here, 31/-20.  Near -5 this morning, too, though a 40° range is more likely than yesterday's 51.  Clear and calm, deep pack, long sunny days - all favor huge diurnal swings.  Many years ago (1981) up north we had a whole late March week like that - 7 days that averaged 44/4 (one day was 51/-1) with neither cloud nor wind.  Sugar houses couldn't boil fast enough to keep up with the sap run.

On 3/8/2019 at 10:09 AM, dryslot said:

Buddy making the trek from Harrison to Rangeley, About 120 mile or so ride one way, I’m going to go tear up some of ITS 89 tommorow 

I need to get up there next year for reciprocal weekend as I only register in NH...looks mint.

Hoping to ride Baker river valley one more time next weekend but torch might say otherwise for all of us skimobilers. Looking at an RX1 tomorrow I'm done with the 2 strokes. 

On 3/6/2019 at 8:27 PM, powderfreak said:

That's insane.  I've been following the Sierra avalanche discussions and it's been pretty incredible the amount of snow/water that has been plastered into the Lake Tahoe to Mammoth Lakes zone in California.

Squaw Valley and Mammoth now open through July 4th (I think Squaw is July 9th?)... crazy stuff.

During the years I lived in California, it was normal got Mammoth to have everyone ski on the 4th of July.   I don’t know how much they had this year but similar depths were commonplace during the 15 years I lived in LA.

Some cirrus on the horizon now, but otherwise deep blue and very dry.  Was going to go ice fishing but 24"+ ice (with enough cold to freeze last weekend's holes all the way down) convinced me that getting some firewood in was a better option.  Milder week upcoming could mean less than 6" on today's/tomorrow's holes by next Saturday, much nicer.  Was hoping - in vain - the dead elm would have become split-able (some do a year or so after dying) but at least it's dry.

Took a snow sample on the 38" pack - 10.11" SWE, so it's 27% water and nowhere near ripe for melting.  (That comes when the water content approaches 40%.) 

6 hours ago, Whineminster said:

I need to get up there next year for reciprocal weekend as I only register in NH...looks mint.

Hoping to ride Baker river valley one more time next weekend but torch might say otherwise for all of us skimobilers. Looking at an RX1 tomorrow I'm done with the 2 strokes. 

Sweet, Yeah may have to trailer next weekend NW some, We will see how this week goes, Awesome day out there today, 130 miles.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dendrite said:

Yup...beautiful day. Up to 40°. It’s the first time I’ve had the birds out free ranging midday for months.

Amazing out today.

MVL hit at least 34F and MPV at least 33F.  

33-34F and sunshine felt like 50s.

No melting though, probably sublimation with dews in the single digits.

35.4° F high on my Davis today off a low of 14.7° F, which is a decent diurnal variation for my mountainside location. 

The elevation difference in the snow pack is becoming more noticeable now as it typically does with my pack between 30-35" and the valleys at 4-8" with bare spots in the sunny areas. Although this year the gradient has been larger than normal between my spot and the valleys on the west slope. I don't think North Adams and Bennington have had more than about 40-45" of snow for the season (if that) while I've had 116.3". Pittsfield has had a little more from elevation and upslope (50-55"?) though.

A lot of this difference is attributable to the elevation storms in Novie and an upslope storm in January. Likely a little of it to the SWFEs but those have been more latitude dependent than elevation dependent.

I don't think I get more than an inch or two of junk tomorrow AM as the midlevels look sketchy and lift is limited. The high res NAM is hitting the mountains with upslope Monday and into Tuesday AM, but as usual, I'm not really buying it. Maybe I get a little bit, but the northern Greens and Whites could get a few inches though.

On 3/9/2019 at 1:33 PM, weathafella said:

My favorite male cardinal is hanging out in my backyard.   Can’t get enough of that bright red with black markings against the snow and deep blue sky.

Look who I found on the internet. Excellent advice btw lol.

fella.jpg

• Like 1