Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2018/19 Winter Banter and General Discussion - We winter of YORE

Baroclinic Zone

48 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Oban is a great scotch to break into the hobby with...those Islays like Talisker are super harsh. Oban has a bit of the smokiness to it but not too much and it's really really smooth so it's easy to drink for a novice. Only a little bit peaty too...I'm not a huge fan of the peatier highlands. Even after drinking scotch for 4+ years now, I still love Oban as my favorite. It's not super cheap since it's a high quality scotch, but the bang for your buck is the best imho. I like it more than many other more expensive bottles. 

Ive been told I'll probably start drinking the Islays and other harsher scotches in time...definitely an acquired taste. 

I really love the Glenfiddich 14 bourbon barrel as my less indulgent scotch when I want to save my Oban. It's def a bit harsher than Oban but I love the finish. Can really taste the charred oak. I'll add that I also enjoyed The Glenlivit 12 as another non-Oban level scotch when I was given a bottle last year. It's a pretty mild Speyside...def more on the highland side of the profile. 

I went to Glenlivet's distillery years ago and have had a soft spot for them ever since. Their 15 year is really good stuff, aged in sherry casks, if I remember rightly. Balvenie Caribbean Cask is another really tasty one. And I'm with you on the really peaty ones. Laphroaig tastes like formaldehyde to me. I do like a lighter peat profile like Oban or Lagavulin. Edit: I would be remiss if I left Auchentoshan out, too. 

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

Turning the corner to Morch.

Even 00z NAM/GFS 2m temps had me in the mid 20s/near 20 for this morning so it isn't just a MOS or lack of radiational cooling issue. But yeah, we approach the season when models start to overestimate the cold and the sun starts laughing at 2m temp progs.

8 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Even 00z NAM/GFS 2m temps had me in the mid 20s/near 20 for this morning so it isn't just a MOS or lack of radiational cooling issue. But yeah, we approach the season when models start to overestimate the cold and the sun starts laughing at 2m temp progs.

Got down to 33 but clouds and wind creeped in so was 35 when I got up. Dews low so snow iced up from evapo cooling. Speaking of ice, enjoy Sunday there.

Just now, CoastalWx said:

Got down to 33 but clouds and wind creeped in so was 35 when I got up. Dews low so snow iced up from evapo cooling. Speaking of ice, enjoy Sunday there.

Worst case scenario is an accumulation of sleet and then it all gets completely encased in glaze. It'll take weeks to melt the driveway out.

3 hours ago, dendrite said:

Wow. What a bust with MOS temps for this morning. 12z MAV yesterday had 19° for CON. I just woke up to 31° here and 33° at CON. 

Places that decoupled were quite different.  Low was about 14 here (haven't checked the max-min) after slipping 5° between 5:15 and 6:45.  PQI was well below zero.