Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2018/19 Winter Banter and General Discussion - We winter of YORE

Baroclinic Zone

16 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

Pretty sure that's the strongest PWM/GYX balloon wind. 

There are some higher in the record, but clearly looks like bad data (245 kt in August 1990 :huh:).

How about July 20 in (I think) 1996 - windiest summer day I can recall.   Attended a wedding with an outdoor reception (under the "big top") that day south of Augusta, and the wind would've pulled out the 4-foot-long stakes had we not gone around pounding them back down every few minutes.  I read that MWN posted a 24-hour average speed of 99 mph, their windiest summer day on record.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, tamarack said:

How about July 20 in (I think) 1996 - windiest summer day I can recall.   Attended a wedding with an outdoor reception (under the "big top") that day south of Augusta, and the wind would've pulled out the 4-foot-long stakes had we not gone around pounding them back down every few minutes.  I read that MWN posted a 24-hour average speed of 99 mph, their windiest summer day on record.

That was a windy cold day...I remember it being a month after graduating HS. I have a distinct memory of that day, sitting on the farmer's porch of our old house, and just feeling frigid even in the sun.

5 minutes ago, Hoth said:

Both a delicious scotch and one of the most gorgeous places I've ever visited. Skye was insane.

Totally agree about Skye!  Absolutely gorgeous and some insane weather at times.  Was there in June about 15 years ago and there was a storm battering the west coast and I could barely walk into the wind.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, HimoorWx said:

The Storm is definitely not as good as the traditional 10 year old, but if my wife buys me a bottle by mistake I won't send it back.  Any Highland favorites?  I've found some good Highland Parks and I also like Glenmorangie.

I'm a huge fan of Oban 14...though for a little less money, the Glenfiddich 14 is just fine. But Oban is pretty cheap here in MA...only about 50 bucks for a bottle. I couldn't believe it was almsot twice that in NY and NJ....damned vice taxes there.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I'm a huge fan of Oban 14...though for a little less money, the Glenfiddich 14 is just fine. But Oban is pretty cheap here in MA...only about 50 bucks for a bottle. I couldn't believe it was almsot twice that in NY and NJ....damned vice taxes there.

I like Oban but I'm not sure I've had the 14 year old.  Heading to England in a few weeks, and there is a great whisky bar near where I am staying.  I'll have to check it out.  Have you tried Balvenie?  They make some excellent specialty ones aged in port casks, sherry casks and rum casks.

Just now, SnowBrosForever said:

Isle of Skye was fabulous. And beautiful. Not to mention wild and rugged. And the Talisker tour is really, really cool.

Went to the distillery as well.  Was with my wife and father-in-law who don't like scotch so I go all 3 samples!  Funniest thing was while we were there a school group also cam through for a tour.  Strange to see, but whisky is such a big part of their ehos and economy.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, HimoorWx said:

I like Oban but I'm not sure I've had the 14 year old.  Heading to England in a few weeks, and there is a great whisky bar near where I am staying.  I'll have to check it out.  Have you tried Balvenie?  They make some excellent specialty ones aged in port casks, sherry casks and rum casks.

Balvenie is very good...I am a fan of it. Speyside scotches tend to be similar to a lot of the highlands I like...I tend to like the highlands that aren't very strong on the peaty/smokey flavor...but just have some of that infused in there. The Speysides tend to be a little richer, so they are nice on a cold evening after a big meal.

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

Balvenie is very good...I am a fan of it. Speyside scotches tend to be similar to a lot of the highlands I like...I tend to like the highlands that aren't very strong on the peaty/smokey flavor...but just have some of that infused in there. The Speysides tend to be a little richer, so they are nice on a cold evening after a big meal.

I only go for the peaty smokey flavor in the fall and winter; seems perfect then.  Once spring rolls around, I move onto Speyside or Highland.  Never quite sure what to have in the summer, but the Balvenie Caribbean Cask has been my choice the last couple of years.

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

Oban is my bro's jam. It is damn good. A breakfast scotch for sure.

54 minutes ago, Hoth said:

Oban is my bro's jam. It is damn good. A breakfast scotch for sure.

Oban is a great scotch to break into the hobby with...those Islays like Talisker are super harsh. Oban has a bit of the smokiness to it but not too much and it's really really smooth so it's easy to drink for a novice. Only a little bit peaty too...I'm not a huge fan of the peatier highlands. Even after drinking scotch for 4+ years now, I still love Oban as my favorite. It's not super cheap since it's a high quality scotch, but the bang for your buck is the best imho. I like it more than many other more expensive bottles. 

Ive been told I'll probably start drinking the Islays and other harsher scotches in time...definitely an acquired taste. 

I really love the Glenfiddich 14 bourbon barrel as my less indulgent scotch when I want to save my Oban. It's def a bit harsher than Oban but I love the finish. Can really taste the charred oak. I'll add that I also enjoyed The Glenlivit 12 as another non-Oban level scotch when I was given a bottle last year. It's a pretty mild Speyside...def more on the highland side of the profile. 

• Like 1