Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
2018/19 Winter Banter and General Discussion - We winter of YORE

Baroclinic Zone

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

I do like IPAs, stouts, some ales etc.....but sometimes in the summer when it's 90 out...those beers can be too heavy. I'd almost rather rip back Miller Light or Coors. Miller lights are usually my trash beer of choice. 

Agreed. If Miller light is super ice cold, I'll drink it on a 90F day sometimes  

I'll usually go Corona with a lime a lot in the summer though. 

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

There was another foul beer called "Koch's" when I was in school. A quarter keg (equivalent of about 80 beers) went for 18 bucks so we got it once. That was the last time we did that. 

I actually think Genesee owned them. Maybe it was the cheap version of genesee. Considering genesee was already so cheap, I'm not sure what we were expecting....the minds of 21 year olds. 

Man--forgot about Koch's.

1 hour ago, dryslot said:

Yup 1/4 kegs and the Utica Club And Genessee beer balls became popular.

Beer balls became popular once they banned that 1/2 kegs on campus.

53 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

There was another awful one called Narragansett . Another one called American and American Light . Just terrible 

I like(d) Narragansett.  For sentimental reasons if nothing else.  Don't know those other two at all.

5 hours ago, scoob40 said:

Ah Schaefer. " The one beer to have when your having more than one ".

Cornell still sings a modified version of that jingle to the hockey head coach (Schafer) after victories. 

5 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

I think we all had our share of shit beer...lol. Beast ice was the choice for me. Funny Will mentioned Genesee because I've had that too. Keystone as well. Ugh. 

A LOT of Keystone is college. Also had the 55 packs of Molson Canadian in the shape of a mini keg. You could get one of those into the dorms in a hockey bag.

Nowadays it's mostly IPAs. On a hot summer day I reach for a Maine Island Trail Ale from Rising Tide. A 4.5% but with flavor. 

7 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

Another good one out in western NY at school was Genessee Cream Ale. That stuff was like poison but it somehow tasted better than Beast and it was super cheap. 

The bar near us also had cans of Utica Club. I remember telling someone about that and they were surprised the beer still existed. But it does...not hard to find in central/western NY. 

Granny Cream Ale lol. We got a beer ball of that once. A couple of years ago one of the craft brewers in town did a cream ale for our golf course fundraiser. It was surprisingly good. 

9 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

Milwaukees Best was $8 for a 24 rack when I was in college. We did that one night and never repeated the mistake ...except maybe one or two other times when we had no money. 

Our 40 of choice was usually old English (OE). Buck-ninetynine for one. Not sure what they run now. Prob 3 bucks. Edward 40 hands was somehow thought to be a good idea back then.  

Ha, I remember Edward 40 Hands. Someone usually wound up soiling themselves because they didn't finish fast enough and couldn't get their fly down. 

7 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

I do like IPAs, stouts, some ales etc.....but sometimes in the summer when it's 90 out...those beers can be too heavy. I'd almost rather rip back Miller Light or Coors. Miller lights are usually my trash beer of choice. 

Agreed. Sometimes an ice cold Silver Bullet goes down nicely after a hot July day.

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

There’s nothing like the feeling of ripping back a bunch. I know this sounds bad lol, but Just nice in the summer to throw multiple down. Can’t do that with IPAs.

Head to a place like OK with their 3 point beer. Watered down watered down beer. You could crush a twelve pack and still derive QC theory.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

There’s nothing like the feeling of ripping back a bunch. I know this sounds bad lol, but Just nice in the summer to throw multiple down. Can’t do that with IPAs.

The consequences of slamming multiple 8% IPAs go without saying. Nice a rip a few ice cold 4.5 percenters without fear of the following morning.

Just now, Hoth said:

The consequences of slamming multiple 8% IPAs go without saying. Nice a rip a few ice cold 4.5 percenters without fear of the following morning.

Right. For me it’s either that, or something  like a G&T.  Those are solid too.

Boy what a bunch of drunks we are. :lol:  

Something tells me Tamarack can throw down a bottle of Wild Turkey and then scale a white pine.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

oh man!  i drank 3-40oz'ers one night.  :beer::drunk:

We bought a case one night back when I was a senior lol. 4 of us finished it off ended up in a park with one of those spinning rides three out of the four lost it I was one of the unlucky!

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

Right. For me it’s either that, or something  like a G&T.  Those are solid too.

Boy what a bunch of drunks we are. :lol:  

Something tells me Tamarack can throw down a bottle of Wild Turkey and then scale a white pine.

:lol:  Sorry to disappoint - my last beer came on the Fish River in Fort Kent more than 40 years ago.  Wasn't long after that we finished a long-lasting bottle of Drambuie, after our then 2-year old dug it out of the cupboard as the new pastor was visiting.  (We'd been using it to help with teething pain after finding out that Paragoric stopped her digestive system for a week.)   That was the end of our recreational use of alcohol.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Anybody made the trip to Grand Teton/Yellowstone?

Looks like I'll be there in August, and I want to know what I shouldn't miss.

Been there a handful of times both summer and winter. Both breathtaking. Hard to give any advise - it's all incredible but I'd recommend a night or two in each side of the park, so you don't have to drive back and forth too much, including a night in Cook City MT, which is a fantastic small mountain town

25 minutes ago, alex said:

Been there a handful of times both summer and winter. Both breathtaking. Hard to give any advise - it's all incredible but I'd recommend a night or two in each side of the park, so you don't have to drive back and forth too much, including a night in Cook City MT, which is a fantastic small mountain town

Our plan right now is like 4 nights in Jackson, followed by 4 or 5 in Yellowstone.

11 hours ago, tamarack said:

:lol:  Sorry to disappoint - my last beer came on the Fish River in Fort Kent more than 40 years ago.  Wasn't long after that we finished a long-lasting bottle of Drambuie, after our then 2-year old dug it out of the cupboard as the new pastor was visiting.  (We'd been using it to help with teething pain after finding out that Paragoric stopped her digestive system for a week.)   That was the end of our recreational use of alcohol.

Many memories of Paragoric as a child...prescription opium.  

I enjoy a beer or two on weekends, maybe a glass of wine on occasion.

On the rare nights my wife and I go out to eat I might try a cocktail.