Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
2018/19 Winter Banter and General Discussion - We winter of YORE

Baroclinic Zone

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

Milwaukees Best was $8 for a 24 rack when I was in college. We did that one night and never repeated the mistake ...except maybe one or two other times when we had no money. 

Our 40 of choice was usually old English (OE). Buck-ninetynine for one. Not sure what they run now. Prob 3 bucks. Edward 40 hands was somehow thought to be a good idea back then.  

When I started in college, bottles of Bud at our local bars were $1; you could get a pitcher for $3.  There was outrage junior year when they updated the prices to $1.50/$4.

The local place near us used to sell 30 racks of keystone light for 11 bucks. We liked it a lot better than Milwaukees best (or Beast as we called it). 

For those that don't know, keystone is a the cheap crappy version of coors. Kind of like Busch beer is the cheap version of Budweiser. 

15 minutes ago, moneypitmike said:

We could buy a case of "Milwaulkee" beer (note:  not "Old Milwaukee) for $5.99.  You knew times were tight when that was in the grocery cart.

We would trek from ULowell to the NH border to buy cases of Milwaukee’s Best 16oz cans for $9.  No deposit, then we would cash in the cans in Mass...net cost was $7.80 or so

Gross stuff... now I buy 4 cans of DIPAs for $15.    I guess I was smarter then

The local place near us used to sell 30 racks of keystone light for 11 bucks. We liked it a lot better than Milwaukees best (or Beast as we called it). 

For those that don't know, keystone is a the cheap crappy version of coors. Kind of like Busch beer is the cheap version of Budweiser. 

Yup, I worked for a Beer Dist back in the 70’s and 80’s and coors was being bootlegged in from Colorado until 1985 or so, Keystone came a few yrs later with their reg and light version, About the same time Strohs hit the market, That Coors Orignal can Had the vent button you would push on the top of the can before you popped the tab.

3 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Once I bought a case of something in little stubby bottles for $3.99. They were on clearance and had dust on them.  It was such swill...Lions Head or something.

we measured weeks by how high the stacks of empty case boxes of crap we had in the corner...ugh

7 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Yup, I worked for a Beer Dist back in the 70’s and 80’s and coors was being bootlegged in from Colorado until 1985 or so, Keystone came a few yrs later with their reg and light version, About the same time Strohs hit the market, That Coors Orignal can Had the vent button you would push on the top of the can before you popped the tab.

It was basically a substitute for shotgunning a beer. 

Of course a few hours later, it would reappear in the same fashion...

7 minutes ago, dryslot said:

"You know truckin' Coors east of Texas is bootleggin' "

20 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Once I bought a case of something in little stubby bottles for $3.99. They were on clearance and had dust on them.  It was such swill...Lions Head or something.

we measured weeks by how high the stacks of empty case boxes of crap we had in the corner...ugh

Another good one out in western NY at school was Genessee Cream Ale. That stuff was like poison but it somehow tasted better than Beast and it was super cheap. 

The bar near us also had cans of Utica Club. I remember telling someone about that and they were surprised the beer still existed. But it does...not hard to find in central/western NY. 

33 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Milwaukees Best was $8 for a 24 rack when I was in college. We did that one night and never repeated the mistake ...except maybe one or two other times when we had no money. 

Our 40 of choice was usually old English (OE). Buck-ninetynine for one. Not sure what they run now. Prob 3 bucks. Edward 40 hands was somehow thought to be a good idea back then.  

Around here during my senior year in high school (69-70) it was a 6 pack of Gennesee on Friday and Saturday nights for $1. Christ.

3 minutes ago, scoob40 said:

Around here during my senior year in high school (69-70) it was a 6 pack of Gennesee on Friday and Saturday nights for $1. Christ.

Nice. The joys of pre-1970s inflation prices. 

The place near us did have a happy hour that was $3 pitchers. Not bad for 2002-2003. 

17 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Another good one out in western NY at school was Genessee Cream Ale. That stuff was like poison but it somehow tasted better than Beast and it was super cheap. 

The bar near us also had cans of Utica Club. I remember telling someone about that and they were surprised the beer still existed. But it does...not hard to find in central/western NY. 

Back when I was a runner (of sorts), Genessee sponsored a lot of running races--as did other beers.  The Kelly Race in New London used to be called the Schaeffer Road Race.  I remember Genessee was sponsor of races I would run in GON and up in Brantingham (on the Tug).

image.png.cc2aabf7ce4fa11d2b5dcd253d478b2a.png

• Like 1

15 hours ago, moneypitmike said:

This picture of Pit2 from 2 years ago just came up on my FB memories.  We had 41" of snow so far that week and another foot was forecast.  I don't recall if we got it.

pit2.jpg

My guess is no.  We were forecast for 12-18" less than 24 hours ahead of first flakes, and with 43" pack, the sky was the limit.  Best stuff slid SW (GYX got over a foot) and my 6.2" of heavy/wet only added 3 to the depth.

Had 2.2" of 9:1 snow yesterday, with the biggest flakes of the season, then 6-8 hours of frdz.

• Like 1

That was the paint scheme on my 12 bay truck, It was painted with the Genessee Cream Ale colors and logo, There motto was Genesseing was believing, What was even better is we could by cases that were scratched and dented or ready to go overcode because the Julian date was getting close to expire for $6/cs that they couldn’t sell in the stores, I drove forklift loading and unloading trucks/rail cars so I made sure we always had $6/cs available.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, dryslot said:

Boone’s Farm And Colt 45 was the choices back in the day, Stayed away from the Mogan David, Was pretty tough playing spin the bottle with a MD 2020. Lol

Brings back bad memories - I think that stuff came out my first year at Hopkins (1964), and since it was brewed by Baltimore's own National Bohemian, we were at the front of the line.  A few years before that, Shop-Rite was selling beer under its own label, brewed by Horlacher, one of the many cheap beers from western PA.  (Iron City, Old Duke, and others)

There was another foul beer called "Koch's" when I was in school. A quarter keg (equivalent of about 80 beers) went for 18 bucks so we got it once. That was the last time we did that. 

I actually think Genesee owned them. Maybe it was the cheap version of genesee. Considering genesee was already so cheap, I'm not sure what we were expecting....the minds of 21 year olds. 

10 minutes ago, moneypitmike said:

Back when I was a runner (of sorts), Genessee sponsored a lot of running races--as did other beers.  The Kelly Race in New London used to be called the Schaeffer Road Race.  I remember Genessee was sponsor of races I would run in GON and up in Brantingham (on the Tug).

image.png.cc2aabf7ce4fa11d2b5dcd253d478b2a.png

Ah Schaefer. " The one beer to have when your having more than one ".

4 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

There was another foul beer called "Koch's" when I was in school. A quarter keg (equivalent of about 80 beers) went for 18 bucks so we got it once. That was the last time we did that. 

I actually think Genesee owned them. Maybe it was the cheap version of genesee. Considering genesee was already so cheap, I'm not sure what we were expecting....the minds of 21 year olds. 

I remember Koch’s . That stuff was awful. My how we’ve evolved. IPA’s FTW 

4 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Brings back bad memories - I think that stuff came out my first year at Hopkins (1964), and since it was brewed by Baltimore's own National Bohemian, we were at the front of the line.  A few years before that, Shop-Rite was selling beer under its own label, brewed by Horlacher, one of the many cheap beers from western PA.  (Iron City, Old Duke, and others)

George Heiliman Brewing brewed a ton of lower tier beers back then, Schlitz, Brewed by the Joseph Schlitz Brewing Co use be #1 followed by Budweiser at #2 until the mid 70’s when Schlitz had a bad batch that unseeded them from the top and never recovered to there demise, The Old Milwaukee brand kept them afloat for several more years before the eventually went out and then resurfaced again in the last 10 yrs or so.

Oh yeah. I've seen Narragansett...you can find it everywhere around here. I don't think it falls into the same category as most of these other ones like Beast, Schlitz, Koch's, etc. It's not high quality but it's kind of like bud or Miller. A typical American lager. 

Agree though with Kevin on American and American Light. That stuff is like carbonated paint thinner. It's nasty.