Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2018/19 Winter Banter and General Discussion - We winter of YORE

Baroclinic Zone

28 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Man the Sierra keep getting lit up. 

Squaw Valley and Alpine Meadows got another 36" overnight with 46" in 24 hours.

They were closed today due to extreme avalanche danger and all highways into Tahoe were closed by Highway Patrol.

IMG_2207.PNG.7e195138d6a98eb3855bf821dfaf7654.PNG

IMG_2206.thumb.JPG.b6586d0b8e3b023764203c7d7f1ff031.JPG 

This is a bucket list item

36 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

They were closed today due to extreme avalanche danger and all highways into Tahoe were closed by Highway Patrol.

I very much miss this......seen these conditions first hand several times up there during my younger snow bum days skipping school at UC Davis and heading up the hill to ride......it really is incredible up there at times......the range just rings it out in copious amounts.....

Edit: However sometimes it can be the complete opposite.....look up Reno New Years Flood 1997.......we were stranded there for 4 days...lol

35 minutes ago, ice1972 said:

I very much miss this......seen these conditions first hand several times up there during my younger snow bum days skipping school at UC Davis and heading up the hill to ride......it really is incredible up there at times......the range just rings it out in copious amounts.....

Edit: However sometimes it can be the complete opposite.....look up Reno New Years Flood 1997.......we were stranded there for 4 days...lol

Oh' yeah,  can be epic but very elevation dependent.  Sierra's and Cascades are float in the pow or sink in the cement (sometimes swim in the puddles). 

Rockies = consistency.  Colorado, Utah, and Wyoming are often safer bets for conditions.

1 hour ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Oh' yeah,  can be epic but very elevation dependent.  Sierra's and Cascades are float in the pow or sink in the cement (sometimes swim in the puddles). 

Rockies = consistency.  Colorado, Utah, and Wyoming are often safer bets for conditions.

IDK.....I always found the "sierra cement" tag line mostly that.....a tag line......I can only recall maybe two or three seasons in my nearly 20 years of going to the Lake Tahoe area where it was truly cement......

33 minutes ago, ice1972 said:

IDK.....I always found the "sierra cement" tag line mostly that.....a tag line......I can only recall maybe two or three seasons in my nearly 20 years of going to the Lake Tahoe area where it was truly cement......

Well, yeah I didn't live out there so I only know "Sierra Cement" from a few trips out west. 

5 minutes ago, weathafella said:

I’ve never encountered ice while skiing in the sierras.   Think about that.  It’s almost a default condition in the east....at least for some of the pack.

Art Judson in Steamboat Springs used to jokingly say to me that he didn't know what sleet and freezing rain were.

6 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

Man even Hawai'i is piling on our winter of yore.

Mauna Kea ripped off a 191 mph wind gusts with the low pressure passing north of the islands today. And here with thought MWN's 148 mph was cool.

How much snow for the Big Island peaks? 
(Many years ago when in 2nd grade, our son got in trouble by saying that it snowed in Hawai'i.  Teacher wouldn't believe it even when shown pictures sent by my brother in law, who lives on O'ahu's north shore.)

1 hour ago, tamarack said:

(Many years ago when in 2nd grade, our son got in trouble by saying that it snowed in Hawai'i.  Teacher wouldn't believe it even when shown pictures sent by my brother in law, who lives on O'ahu's north shore.)

Snow fell as low as 6200 feet on Maui last night.  This might be a new record for snow at such a low elevation..  I belong to a couple FB groups out there.  In the video I saw it looked more like  rime ice covering trees but anything to them that is white is snow and it could have been snow, I just couldn't tell.  Mauna Kea's temp was 12F.  According to the FB group.  No observer stays up there I don't believe during big winter storms, its all automated.   Snow does fall from time to time on Mauna Loa and Mauna Kea on the Big Island. (Elevations around 13,600)  It is very rare on Maui. (Elevation 10,000) Maybe we will get some pictures once daylight returns today.

1 hour ago, wxeyeNH said:

Snow fell as low as 6200 feet on Maui last night.  This might be a new record for snow at such a low elevation..  I belong to a couple FB groups out there.  In the video I saw it looked more like  rime ice covering trees but anything to them that is white is snow and it could have been snow, I just couldn't tell.  Mauna Kea's temp was 12F.  According to the FB group.  No observer stays up there I don't believe during big winter storms, its all automated.   Snow does fall from time to time on Mauna Loa and Mauna Kea on the Big Island. (Elevations around 13,600)  It is very rare on Maui. (Elevation 10,000) Maybe we will get some pictures once daylight returns today.

That looks really low for 20-21° N.  When we visited family on Oahu in mid-March 2016, the car thermometer dropped from 72 in Honolulu to 60 at just under 1,000' (which decrease seemed impressive) then back to 68-70 at Haleiwa where my wife's brother and family live.  This was at about 8 PM with winds from the north - maybe that led to the strong apparent lapse rate.

Pattern out west has been incredible. This is pretty amazing for the sierras. They've had periods of obscene snow before but usually you don't get the snow levels so low on a consistent basis for each storm like recently. They keep getting hammered down to like 2,000-3,000 feet. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Pattern out west has been incredible. This is pretty amazing for the sierras. They've had periods of obscene snow before but usually you don't get the snow levels so low on a consistent basis for each storm like recently. They keep getting hammered down to like 2,000-3,000 feet. 

Playing catch up with the Wasatch.  Snowbird reporting 384" to date 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, tamarack said:

DzLC4T4UcAAXTDy.png:large

It definitely snowed, but the Mauna Loa ob is still reported as "M" as far as I can see.

So that means they are ahead of BOS for the season too right?

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, BRSno said:

Looks like I'm being transferred to FL this summer. So this may be my last New England winter for a few years. Sucks to go out this way 

At least you were here for an epic time for snow. After all the years of KU’s I imagine we could be entering a bit of a dry spell for while. 

5 hours ago, Whineminster said:

I think about moving there every day......nice severe and canes.. Nice weather and nice women.   Where abouts in FLA USA? 

3 hours ago, Sn0waddict said:

At least you were here for an epic time for snow. After all the years of KU’s I imagine we could be entering a bit of a dry spell for while. 

Moving to FLL. I was definitely lucky enough to be here from 06" - 19", and that includes some epic years, along with our all time ever. 06-07 was funny cause I had no real comparison, so it didn't seem so bad. I remember being 19 and waking up at 3am to watch the flakes, and having no idea that this disease was common lol. But it is a little sad to leave on this note, with 5" to the season on 2/13

On 2/10/2019 at 9:30 PM, powderfreak said:

Wow. And here I was, getting all excited for 3" of snow/sleet and an inch of rain.......:facepalm:

• Haha 2

47 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Is it me or has this winter been horrendous for sickness? I’ve been out of work since Monday with what was diagnosed as the stomach flu, and have shown virtually no improvement since.

Was planning on going back today but fever is still pushing 103 and can’t keep anything down.

Brutal 

103, is getting right there where you need to consult with your doctor. Id say try advil or tylenol but if you cant keep anything down then that wouldnt work. You also have to be careful with dehydration. You may want to call yiuour doctor and see what they say. 

Crazy out west!!

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE National Weather Service Reno NV 1107 PM PST Tue Feb 12 2019 CAZ072-073-NVZ002-141200- /O.CON.KREV.WS.W.0006.000000T0000Z-190215T0600Z/ Greater Lake Tahoe Area-Mono County- Including the city of Mammoth Lakes 1107 PM PST Tue Feb 12 2019 ...WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 10 PM PST THURSDAY ABOVE 7000 FEET... * CHANGES...Adjusted snow level bullet. * WHAT...Heavy snow possible above 7000 feet. Total snow accumulations of 6 to 10 inches for Truckee and South Lake, except 2 to 5 feet possible above 8000 feet including Mammoth Lakes. Winds could gust as high as 55 mph with ridge gusts possibly exceeding 150 mph

4 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Is it me or has this winter been horrendous for sickness? I’ve been out of work since Monday with what was diagnosed as the stomach flu, and have shown virtually no improvement since.

Was planning on going back today but fever is still pushing 103 and can’t keep anything down.

Brutal 

The hot then cold flip-flopping weather isn't good for your immune system, I've been sick half the winter 

12 hours ago, #NoPoles said:

103, is getting right there where you need to consult with your doctor. Id say try advil or tylenol but if you cant keep anything down then that wouldnt work. You also have to be careful with dehydration. You may want to call yiuour doctor and see what they say. 

Yeah... my doctor was booked solid so I went back to an urgent care facility. They basically told me same thing they told me on Monday. Fever has since subsided to near normal levels and I’ve been feeling a little better, so cautiously optimistic.

Cant really afford to miss more work, already missed 3 days this week, so hopefully good enough to go tomorrow 

14 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Brutal 

Been trying to get over something for the last 3 days (not sure if it is allergies/sinus/cold/flu/bug/what). Just adds to an already awesome winter