Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
2018/19 Winter Banter and General Discussion - We winter of YORE

Baroclinic Zone

30 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

When we relocate I will advertise exclusively on the forum and promote our neighborhood as an ideal, SNE, weather weenie snow retention neighborhood.  

We lack the elevation for marginal events but the snow retention is second to none! 

IMG_5002.PNG.2eed8d3a420160010d0bd78d86364b90.PNG

What's your elevation there?

Just hit 41mph. Sun kissed areas of the yards are melting and forming puddles despite a temp of 24F, strong winds, and wetbulbs under 20F. High risk for frozen chook feet today if they were walking through puddles and then moving into the shade. They can stay in the run today.

Wind kept me cool as I shoveled a ton or so of snow off the porch roof.  Afternoon high 17-18, but another cheap spoiler as it was 25 when I reset the instrument last evening.  We've had nearly a dozen days, starting Nov. 14, on which the previous evening's temp was higher than the next afternoon, some by as much as 16°.

Impressive snowbanks in that lines down pic.

3 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Wind kept me cool as I shoveled a ton or so of snow off the porch roof.  Afternoon high 17-18, but another cheap spoiler as it was 25 when I reset the instrument last evening.  We've had nearly a dozen days, starting Nov. 14, on which the previous evening's temp was higher than the next afternoon, some by as much as 16°.

Impressive snowbanks in that lines down pic.

The only roof shoveling going on down here might be people trying to remove some moss.

I’d rather skip this upcoming event and not have to deal with shoveling 4” of glop again. Been a great run I moved from Malden to Wilmington in 2002. Before that many historic non achieving cold useless years in the 80’s burbs growing up of course 78 is a once in a life time storm for Malden. Since moving up here the snow falls have been as advertised (we used to call the area just inside 495 north of 128 the snow belt) did not disappoint at all. Now on to my next phase in life warm beaches with a lot of “scenery” Heavy research on my place in SFLA today. Will keep a property in the Wilmington area for the summer time though. Maybe even some sort weenie time share out in the mammoth area, Although my wife may nix that idea.

Just hit 41mph. Sun kissed areas of the yards are melting and forming puddles despite a temp of 24F, strong winds, and wetbulbs under 20F. High risk for frozen chook feet today if they were walking through puddles and then moving into the shade. They can stay in the run today.
Feb sun angle ftl

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I installed a mini split heat pump a month ago and have been blown away by the heating performance. The technology is pretty nuts where you aren't creating heat your moving it at 388% efficiency.

100 percent heating capacity at 5 degrees using no fossil fuels and 388 percent efficiency....This is going to be the future of heating and cooling...

I get these are expensive to install but these units destroy every other heat source on efficiency.

ab.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Upfront costs for a heat pump make them unecomomical for contractors to put in.

They are becoming pretty common. I just built 3 houses and all 3 have hybrid heat pump/propane systems and it's awesome. The thermostat has an outdoor temp sensor, and automatically switches from heat pump to propane heat when the temperature drops below a certain level. It's awesome!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Upfront costs for a heat pump make them unecomomical for contractors to put in.

It ended up around $13,500 to put in minis, remove the boiler, another few hundred to get rid of the oil tank.  MA has a series of banks that will give you the money at 0%.   One of them was a credit union I had an account with.   It’s free $$.  I divided the total by number of months and it came out to the exact payment.   Ironically I moved but will be paying until summer of 2020 unless I want to pre pay which makes no sense.

I have gas now and as technology advances I’m looking at solar shingles without those hideous panels which is here basically.   

2 hours ago, weathafella said:

It ended up around $13,500 to put in minis, remove the boiler, another few hundred to get rid of the oil tank.  MA has a series of banks that will give you the money at 0%.   One of them was a credit union I had an account with.   It’s free $$.  I divided the total by number of months and it came out to the exact payment.   Ironically I moved but will be paying until summer of 2020 unless I want to pre pay which makes no sense.

I have gas now and as technology advances I’m looking at solar shingles without those hideous panels which is here basically.    

We put a mini in Pit2 for an attached structure that had been unheated.  I don't recall the cost, but it was pretty inexpensive. Since we had no existing system to remove, we had none of that to absorb. 

5 hours ago, dendrite said:

No fossil fuels for you since you're on solar. I know Jerry said his electric bill went sky high. You must have had quite the pricey initial fee. I'm intrigued by them though.

True on the expensive side but better then burning oil. The going cost is about 4-5k in New England for a Mitsubishi or Fujitsui installed. These were invented in Japan where the market demands reliability and efficiency and they definitely deliver on that.

I have been warm all day by not creating heat but pumping it in from outside. The technology is certainly intriguing and when you have a unit your like how is this thing pumping out crazy heat right now...

2 minutes ago, BrianW said:

True on the expensive side but better then burning oil. The going cost is about 4-5k in New England for a Mitsubishi or Fujitsui installed. These were invented in Japan where the market demands reliability and efficiency and they definitely deliver on that.

I have been warm all day by not creating heat but pumping it in from outside. The technology is certainly intriguing and when you have a unit your like how is this thing pumping out crazy heat right now...

Mine's a Fujitsu--really like it.

4 hours ago, alex said:

They are becoming pretty common. I just built 3 houses and all 3 have hybrid heat pump/propane systems and it's awesome. The thermostat has an outdoor temp sensor, and automatically switches from heat pump to propane heat when the temperature drops below a certain level. It's awesome!

Spot on. I know what to set my main oil furnace t-stat to kick on when it can't keep up. Which down on the shoreline in CT is pretty rare.

I went outside with my FLIR infared camera the other weekend when it was like -2 here. This thing was still pumping out like 115 degree temps at the ducts. I was like wtf when it showed -20. I just can't wrap my head around how it can pump out heat at that temp.

The technology is certainly intriguing.

Side note- Notice how much heat loss an uninsulated basement foundation in New England has...

02.jpg

Mine were Mitsubishi and I put in 6 of them.  A lot of work as 3 of them were in upstairs bedrooms, 2 in the living room area, and 1 in an in law apartment on the basement level.  In my current house I have a 4 season porch that has a Sanyo strictly for ac but in truth other than the hottest periods the central ac of the rest of the house allows enough cooling in this room if we leave the door open but we close it off when we leave the house so it can be toasty in there...