Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
2018/19 Winter Banter and General Discussion - We winter of YORE

Baroclinic Zone

2 hours ago, weathafella said:

That’s a healthy looking dog Luke!   Alas, our Golden who I posted about during her first year of life in the winter of 2008-09 is  getting old.  She will be 11 in June but I’m keeping her as active as I can be to try to extend as long as we can.

Our first Golden made it to 12 1/2. Second is now 6. Hopefully she beats her predecessor.

3 hours ago, weathafella said:

That’s a healthy looking dog Luke!   Alas, our Golden who I posted about during her first year of life in the winter of 2008-09 is  getting old.  She will be 11 in June but I’m keeping her as active as I can be to try to extend as long as we can.

Keep her joints loose, my two labs both had hip issues when the reached ten, one lived to 12, the other 14.

7 hours ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

This is for you old school sled ballers:

vinatage3.thumb.JPG.705259b41237942cf8594e7f6a1bf466.JPG

Every once in a while you see an antique like this on the trails.  I'm always amazed because there is absolutely no suspension on them  Its amazing that people rode those for miles and miles.  That was back when snowmobiling was a real adventure.

Seems there were three schools about the 'quality' of that Super Bowl product it's self ...just based upon the immediate tenor emerging. 

One ... it was an awesome game, because the Patriots won.  Period.  That's it. That's the ball-game.  There's no other sensible reality to the Patriot 'must-win-at-all-cost, super centric fan base... And to some degree, as the intensity wanes moving away from the core, that vibe is still shared.  Since the Patriots won it was an awesome game ... And there may be other dimension to why this sector absolutely needs that victory ...but that aside, having gotten what they wanted, an amazing game. 

Two ... everyone else..  Those that like football but don't really care who won/wins... they want the high-flyin' athletic display human - challenging awe and cinema on the field.  To them, this game sucked giant donkey balls.  And, to some degree, as we move away from that core, that vibe is shared.  Since the Patriots won, it really doesn't matter to them... 

Three ... there is a growing sector of those that loathe the Patriots ... no matter what the game was complexion wise... That core hated the game and don't care to even discuss the complexion of the product on the field, because as far as they are concerned, the wrong team won. 

9 hours ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Oxford Maine?  Best Grateful Dead shows I ever saw,  at the racetrack there?  I  think Little Feat opened.  Mid to late 80's maybe?

Yes, They had a few concerts back in the 80's there, I was working for a local beer company back then and they went thru a few kegs..............lol,  The restaurant is right at the the end of the parking lot of the speedway.

For those of us spring enthusiasts ... the first sign of the change:   the sun has risen at Utqiaġvik!

Sun rise at the most northern U.S. town is more than merely symbolic .. it's a physical circumstance of the Earth's tilt in relation to the sun slowly and inexorably reversing.  Moving forward, the brief showing of old sol at this far northern location, will lengthen in duration and ascent above the horizon. Meanwhile down here in middle latitudes, the next step will be passing out of the perennial solar minimum ... occurring ~ February 10 every year.  You will notice more daylight nearing the 5 pm and beyond around that date, as well as a more obvious warmth to the suns rays on clear days. 

Obviously ... these distinctions in real time and a given season's climate don't always see eye to eye.  Regardless of whether they disagree or not, however, July is still inevitably coming... so one side of that argument is definitely, eventually, going to lose.  Just a matter of time... 

1 minute ago, Typhoon Tip said:

For those of us spring enthusiasts ... the first sign of the change:   the sun has risen at Utqiaġvik!

Sun rise at the most northern U.S. town is more than merely symbolic .. it's a physical circumstance of the Earth's tilt in relation to the sun slowly and inexorably reversing.  Moving forward, the brief showing will lengthen in duration and ascent above the horizon, while down here in middle latitudes, the next step will be passing out of the perennial solar minimum ... occurring ~ February 10 every year.  

Obviously ... these distinctions in real time and a given season's climate don't always see eye to eye.  Regardless of whether they disagree or not, however, July is still inevitably coming... so one side of that argument is definitely, eventually, going to lose.  Just a matter of time... 

Damn sun angle!  There goes our chances of snow. :arrowhead: