Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
2018/19 Winter Banter and General Discussion - We winter of YORE

Baroclinic Zone

7 hours ago, moneypitmike said:

Anyone have recommendations for home security (aside from Smith & Wesson)? 

Need to get one for the new digs.  Kind of a 'welcome to your new life' situation.

Get a big dog and let it bark. For security reasons, do not get a Golden- they are not a deterrent- too lovable.

43 minutes ago, alex said:

Hit 100" for the season today, a bit ahead of last year (Feb 6) and the previous (Feb 13)

If there was a cliche for winter day, today would do it.  Comfortable temperatures, steady light snow broken by periods of heavier squalls. 

This is the ASOS.  It wants to snow where it wants to snow this season, apparently.

jipN3L8.jpg

10 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Just checking out some NWS forecasts for the central part of the country...pretty intense stuff...-62F wind chills.  -35F air temps...

I was looking at the forecast for where my in-laws live in central Illinois and normally they are milder than where we are but the forecast for Wednesday has a high of -11°.  That's pretty intense stuff for that latitude.  Up in Minnesota it's highs in the minus teens and lows near -40.  I'd love to chase that if I had the time.

Yesterday's precip began with 3 hours of SN- making .5" in the afternoon, then 0.05" slushy RA 7-8 P, with a 2-minute graupel shower at 10 adding another tenth accum - about the biggest snow pellets I can recall, with some larger than 0.2".  Yet another cheap obs-time max today; "official" high will be 30 but I doubt the afternoon gets much over 15.  We've had more days with the max at/near my 9 PM obs time than any other year I can recall, also lots of late afternoon CF that only got down enough by 9 to leave the recorded max 5-10° above the afternoon temps.  Even so, I'm at 1.3° BN for January, after being BN for both Nov and Dec.  (My records here only go back into 1998; this month so far is likely AN compared to the 1981-2010 norms for local co-ops, and only a bit BN for Dec.  The 20-teens have been considerably milder than the 1980s.) 

2 hours ago, MetHerb said:

I was looking at the forecast for where my in-laws live in central Illinois and normally they are milder than where we are but the forecast for Wednesday has a high of -11°.  That's pretty intense stuff for that latitude.  Up in Minnesota it's highs in the minus teens and lows near -40.  I'd love to chase that if I had the time.

MAV keeps TVF -23F or colder for about 60hrs. Lots of -40s on MOS now with climo waning from the numbers. Someone will hit -50F...especially if N MN can radiate a bit. 

29 minutes ago, dendrite said:

MAV keeps TVF -23F or colder for about 60hrs. Lots of -40s on MOS now with climo waning from the numbers. Someone will hit -50F...especially if N MN can radiate a bit. 

I was wondering what the weighting is of MOS and the rate it diminishes from day 7/5/3 etc.

It’s such nonsense when something so extreme is modeled consistently for days 

Back to All-Time snow depth levels after the 9.5" that landed with the squalls.

Today the Mansfield stake depth is at 93"... breaking the old record of 88" from 1969.

The snow has never been deeper than it is today for late-January in the past 65 years.

The 12-foot stake is in trouble this winter if this trend continues in February and March.  2001 they put an extension on it and we may be heading that way.

50914178_3036225713069561_17903402810657

51191907_3036225649736234_21499328960502

• Like 3