Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2018/19 Winter Banter and General Discussion - We winter of YORE

Baroclinic Zone

1 hour ago, Lava Rock said:

Starting to look and feel like deep winter. Too bad the thurs crap will take the shine off

Just when a dense snowfall w/o a rainy endgame leaves the driveway and paths with nice "white gravel" traction, rain-then-freeze looks to return things to the bumpy skating rink that's characterized the season since mid November.

49 minutes ago, Sugarloaf1989 said:

I think most of the snowcover will be gone here by Thursday night. Looks like 1.5" of rain and temperatures in the upper 40's coming up.

How much otg there?  Solid 9"+ here so I am resigning myself to the fact that my yard will be a glacier come Friday.  Hoping we can keep rain totals under 1" here. 

42 minutes ago, Sugarloaf1989 said:

About 6". We didn't get much freezing rain.

Might be tough to lose your pack....we get a mild rain, but it is going to take a ton of energy to melt that glacier. Esp since the core temp of the pack is so cold.

10 hours ago, NeonPeon said:

Newport is in a state of emergency due to a gas main freezing.  Schools closed etc.  They have a small army down here turning it on bit by bit.

Luckily my natural gas conversion is in the spring. 

My brother lost his, he has space heaters and grills as well as a brand new RV so he is all set but told me its a cluster f

6 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

Might be tough to lose your pack....we get a mild rain, but it is going to take a ton of energy to melt that glacier. Esp since the core temp of the pack is so cold.

NOHRSC melts it all at the Staffordsville Coop. I dont think it takes into account the amount of solid ice though. I have 1.5 to 2 inches of ice from top to bottom.  It took an axe to get me a core that was usuable. Came up with .77 we

Currently 13 degrees 

1 hour ago, Ginx snewx said:

My brother lost his, he has space heaters and grills as well as a brand new RV so he is all set but told me its a cluster 

It's a bad situation for the elderly.  And, with all the summer homes, absentee pipes are bursting. It's a good thing that it's getting milder quite fast.  

The way this winter is going it's looking more and more likely that the only snow day my wife gets from her professorial duties involves zero snow on the ground, and about 3" to date, thanks to gas.

On 1/22/2019 at 8:12 AM, NeonPeon said:

Newport is in a state of emergency due to a gas main freezing.  Schools closed etc.  They have a small army down here turning it on bit by bit.

Luckily my natural gas conversion is in the spring. 

They haven’t tuurned everyone off yet, then they have to go back and check every appliance , to make sure pilots are off, before they turn back on. Gonna be a while, I hear more than the week advertised. You know it’s bad when the CEO passes out from stress during a PC

• Like 1

Question: 

Last year we had our roof re-shingled and now I gave open instead of covered rain gutters.   Do you need to actually get up on ladders and clean snow out of the gutters by hand?    I have never really seen anybody doing that but how will water drainage be affected during our rain storm? I roof raked the first 2 feet of the roof edge, 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Question: 

Last year we had our roof re-shingled and now I gave open instead of covered rain gutters.   Do you need to actually get up on ladders and clean snow out of the gutters by hand?    I have never really seen anybody doing that but how will water drainage be affected during our rain storm? I roof raked the first 2 feet of the roof edge, 

Dis they go over the existing shingles or was it a complete strip job down to the sheathing?  If they did that, I assume they would have put a strip if ice & water shield at the eaves which will help mitigate ice/water intrusion.  I've personally never cleaned out a gutter from snow and the fact that you raked the first couple feet should help.

• Like 1

On 1/22/2019 at 5:10 AM, moneypitmike said:

That sh*t is great.  That first write up about the blizzard of 1888 made that storm out to be sheer misery.  When I was a kid (1982 or so) I had a family member who lived to be 106 years old.  She would tell stories of what she remembered of the Blizzard of '88 as a kid.  She even had an album with some photos. Was great stuff.   She lived in the Albany area which got hit with the worst with snowfall amounts.

As much as many of us want snow upon snow, I don't think we would want to be around during the times before modern snow clearing.  I can't see Kevin surviving an 1888 scenario. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Dis they go over the existing shingles or was it a complete strip job down to the sheathing?  If they did that, I assume they would have put a strip if ice & water shield at the eaves which will help mitigate ice/water intrusion.  I've personally never cleaned out a gutter from snow and the fact that you raked the first couple feet should help.

Yes, stripped down to the boards and there's definitely a water vapor layer under the shingles.

3 hours ago, Cold Miser said:

That sh*t is great.  That first write up about the blizzard of 1888 made that storm out to be sheer misery.  When I was a kid (1982 or so) I had a family member who lived to be 106 years old.  She would tell stories of what she remembered of the Blizzard of '88 as a kid.  She even had an album with some photos. Was great stuff.   She lived in the Albany area which got hit with the worst with snowfall amounts.

As much as many of us want snow upon snow, I don't think we would want to be around during the times before modern snow clearing.  I can't see Kevin surviving an 1888 scenario. 

IMO, that combo of snow, wind, and cold has not been matched in the Northeast since.  Feb. 1978 had the first 2, April 1982 had all 3 in northern Maine but less of each (and far fewer people affected by truly massive snowfall.)  A repeat would cause some ginormous east-west meltdowns, as Boston had a big pile of slush, CC probably a big RA event and huge beach erosion (have not read of effects there.)  The only Maine site for which I've seen data is Gardiner, 6 miles S from Augusta, and they had 8" with temps 38/32.  Slight difference from the 50"+ and near zero temps of the upper HV.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, tamarack said:

IMO, that combo of snow, wind, and cold has not been matched in the Northeast since.  Feb. 1978 had the first 2, April 1982 had all 3 in northern Maine but less of each (and far fewer people affected by truly massive snowfall.)  A repeat would cause some ginormous east-west meltdowns, as Boston had a big pile of slush, CC probably a big RA event and huge beach erosion (have not read of effects there.)  The only Maine site for which I've seen data is Gardiner, 6 miles S from Augusta, and they had 8" with temps 38/32.  Slight difference from the 50"+ and near zero temps of the upper HV.

That snowicane reminded me a little of that blizzard with the north south gradient but it was more east with the 88 blizzard.

• Like 1