Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2018/19 Winter Banter and General Discussion - We winter of YORE

Baroclinic Zone

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yep, 2/14/16 was 7F for a high but low was -16F which was coldest reading since 1957. 

Todays high of 1F is the coldest high since January 1994 and you have to back to January 1981 to get a high colder (0F). 

Maxed out at 0.6F here today unless it climbs a bit before midnight.  With the wind mixing all day, this was a serious shot.

-6.9F morning low

That day in 2016 was the coldest I’ve felt here, even though on rad cooling I had gotten a little colder

14 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Thanks. On phone and couldn’t check. I thought that aftn was fairly decent given how the morning was. While you’re at it, look up Logan, think they hit -7 or -8.

BOS hit -9 that day. Coldest reading since 1957 like ORH. Colder than anything from 2004, 1994, or 1981. Impressive. 

12 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

BOS hit -9 that day. Coldest reading since 1957 like ORH. Colder than anything from 2004, 1994, or 1981. Impressive. 

Shoot it was. I thought that at first and then questioned it. That just seems so unattainable nowadays and 2/14 isn’t exactly a climo time to get the coldest temp in 60 years.

53 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yep, 2/14/16 was 7F for a high but low was -16F which was coldest reading since 1957. 

Todays high of 1F is the coldest high since January 1994 and you have to back to January 1981 to get a high colder (0F). 

Today was the first time I've seen my road snowpacked the day after a storm.  Last time I recall that happening was Jan '94, was thinking about that today. 

Is there a site where I can find climo data for certain hours? When will mentioned it being possibly the coldest afternoon since 1980 it got me wondering if there were some colder afternoons since then with relatively warmer midnight highs. It'd be nice to have a dataset of 18z obs.

29 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Is there a site where I can find climo data for certain hours? When will mentioned it being possibly the coldest afternoon since 1980 it got me wondering if there were some colder afternoons since then with relatively warmer midnight highs. It'd be nice to have a dataset of 18z obs.

0.0F -SN

Damnit...lost my -0.1F max.

Back down to -9.5° F after a high of -7.8° F and a low of -16.1° F. A most impressive cold day. 

The great pixie dust blizzard of 2019 is winding down now, finally after nearly 24 hours. With the wind it's impossible to tell how much it accumulated though as it blew off the snow board. My other board that I use for the snow depth had a 0.6" gain though.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

No school here. Everything a block of ice.

Good to see some widespread New England winter weather this long holiday weekend.  Finally a time when it's generally winter region wide.  Just having a white mantle and even where amounts are lower, it is a very durable mantle from high QPF.

The cold was impressive today.  When MVY is 6F in the middle of the afternoon, surrounded by the Atlantic and detached from the landmass, that is what I really find impressive.  The fact that the core of the cold seemed to hit during the daytime also means people really feel it.  Different from overnight deep cold.  Daytime cold forces society to operate in it, some higher impact stuff.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Good to see some widespread New England winter weather this long holiday weekend.  Finally a time when it's generally winter region wide.  Just having a white mantle and even where amounts are lower, it is a very durable mantle from high QPF.

The cold was impressive today.  When MVY is 6F in the middle of the afternoon, surrounded by the Atlantic and detached from the landmass, that is what I really find impressive.  The fact that the core of the cold seemed to hit during the daytime also means people really feel it.  Different from overnight deep cold.  Daytime cold forces society to operate in it, some higher impact stuff.

Just dealing with day to day activities (going to the grocery store, walking the dog, etc) was much more interesting

2 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Looks like with a high of 53F in Florida they want you to limit time outdoors and dress in layers.

This must be fake, right?

IMG_2017.thumb.JPG.5cd7d860ed07a4b5c5f9e04f19b3938e.JPG

Sadly, I don't think it is fake or photoshopped or anything. Obviously being in Florida their criteria for things is a lot different. I think I remember seeing a Wind Chill Warning once for somewhere in Florida and it was for wind chill temps in the low 30's.

Being in Central Florida these statements are kind of ridiculous for a high temp of 53, as you can see the temp this morning was 28 so it's not like these are temps that they have never felt before. Maybe they were targeting kids and their families playing on a playground all day as that seems to be the background picture. Still stupid nonetheless.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I watched the video. I think locations were seeing the coldest temps they've seen in 7 years including wind chills in the 10s and 20s that morning. The 53F high was obviously later.

Definitely true on the high temp, though I guess if you are used to wearing shorts and a t-shirt year-round then those temps could be problematic for kids being outside not realizing what's going on.  Seems a little sensationalized though.

5 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Definitely true on the high temp, though I guess if you are used to wearing shorts and a t-shirt year-round then those temps could be problematic for kids being outside not realizing what's going on.  Seems a little sensationalized though.

also homes there are built differently and dont retain heat well.