Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2018/19 Winter Banter and General Discussion - We winter of YORE

Baroclinic Zone

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

Ginxy sea smoke right now.

Special Marine Warning for...

Moriches Inlet to Montauk Point NY out 40 NM...
  Peconic and Gardiners Bays...

* Until 130 PM EST.

* Very cold air moving out over the waters around eastern Long
  Island has already produced isolated waterspouts late this
  morning. More waterspouts may be possible into early this
  afternoon.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Hundreds of reports of ice quakes last night, heard one about 2 am was exceptional.  Dogs went nutz. Also Lol deck cracked so loud I thought a tree came through the house 

lol our decks were doing that all night, too.  The dog would bark thinking someone just walked up on the deck at 2am.  Popping sounds from the hardwoods in the yard too.  That's when you know it's cold.

5 minutes ago, Dan76 said:

Special Marine Warning for...

Moriches Inlet to Montauk Point NY out 40 NM...
  Peconic and Gardiners Bays...

* Until 130 PM EST.

* Very cold air moving out over the waters around eastern Long
  Island has already produced isolated waterspouts late this
  morning. More waterspouts may be possible into early this
  afternoon.

Pics?

Driving around today really showed just how much snow is on the ground here.  I know no one wants to hear it but it's been a while since we've had deep winter in January.  January seems to be a lower snowfall month here over the past 10 years but looks like the tables turned a bit this year in our favor.

Now you can't see around intersections, any car still buried just has their side view mirrors sticking out and nothing else visible except a lump of snow, cornices forming on roof-tops. 

Given the struggles of a series of winters up here, getting a 1.40" QPF all-snow event at 0F was fun.  Just wish things can go a bit better for SNE as its not as much fun being stoked while everyone else is at a funeral.

Dense 26" on the ground (almost wind-packed a bit now) and the black lab can only travel in shoveled pathways as the snow is now over her back.

E3bXmXC.jpg

J6ishQG.jpg

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Driving around today really showed just how much snow is on the ground here.  I know no one wants to hear it but it's been a while since we've had deep winter in January.  January seems to be a lower snowfall month here over the past 10 years but looks like the tables turned a bit this year in our favor.

Now you can't see around intersections, any car still buried just has their side view mirrors sticking out and nothing else visible except a lump of snow, cornices forming on roof-tops. 

Given the struggles of a series of winters up here, getting a 1.40" QPF all-snow event at 0F was fun.  Just wish things can go a bit better for SNE as its not as much fun being stoked while everyone else is at a funeral.

Dense 26" on the ground (almost wind-packed a bit now) and the black lab can only travel in shoveled pathways as the snow is now over her back.

E3bXmXC.jpg

J6ishQG.jpg

Winter of yore ^^^

• Like 2

I remember that lol. Hey it’s good to see you guys get the monkey off your back in a way. Honestly, I’m just happy it looks like winter. This is exactly how I felt in the winters of bore back in the 80s and early 90s. The added bonus is the ice just when it’s 3 degrees out sparkling everything. A true winter day.

• Like 1