• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2018/19 Winter Banter and General Discussion - We winter of YORE

Baroclinic Zone

You know when you just need a little something to go right...just a little bit, a tiny bit of anything...but life just keeps kicking you while you're down...

Well, my Guinea Pig is not doing well at all. I am doing supportive feeding every 4 hrs. So far, his spirit seems intact...though sooner or later it may progress to a quality of life issue...and while being in between jobs means i can feed him every 4 hrs, I cant stay unemployed forever...so the other option is to find a rescue or shelter and surrender him into palliative care...

Im fine with life kicking me to the ground, but I really have a hard time dealing with life being cruel to helpless animals...

What turn of events life has taken...sigh...

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, #NoPoles said:

You know when you just need a little something to go right...just a little bit, a tiny bit of anything...but life just keeps kicking you while you're down...

Well, my Guinea Pig is not doing well at all. I am doing supportive feeding every 4 hrs. So far, his spirit seems intact...though sooner or later it may progress to a quality of life issue...and while being in between jobs means i can feed him every 4 hrs, I cant stay unemployed forever...so the other option is to find a rescue or shelter and surrender him into palliative care...

Im fine with life kicking me to the ground, but I really have a hard time dealing with life being cruel to helpless animals...

Sad Di, when my daughter passed I took over care for her Chinchilla.  Little bastard loved rolling his ball and scaring the sh it out of 125 lb dog. Anyways he Buster came down with an ingrown incisor. I spent 700 bucks to save him, he died in my arms the next day. What I did find out is these and Guinea pigs are so inbred they are genetic disasters pawned on people by unscrupulous dealers.

I hope the little guy gets better but if not I would strongly suggest Euthanasia so he doesn't suffer. It sucks and is hard.

I saw a job posting for a Zip line supervisor in Sterling Ma. I know that's a long way from you but keep your spirits up. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, #NoPoles said:

That really sucks, my thoughts go out to you. Watching animals go is really difficult. I lost my 8 year old beagle to cancer 2 years ago and it was the hardest thing to see a little innocent creature being destroyed by an awful disease. I was extracting pee out of him every few hours to keep him alive in his final days but as Ginxy said, there comes a time when we have to let go, as hard as it is. He passed with in my arms with his face in a bowl of ice cream, I will never forget that. And of course I start tearing up just thinking about it. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, #NoPoles said:

This does suck.  I can't pretend to know your circumstances but don't surrender him.  You are his world and if he is going through something awful like this he would be better off in a situation that is familiar.  I hope it works out for the best. :(

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 8:58 AM, dendrite said:

The max of 13°...not the min. 

Saturday's 11° tied with T-Day for coldest max, though the earlier one came at my 9 PM obs time the night before, with afternoon high of 9.

Looked like -15 this AM - extrapolating from the indoor-outdoor which reads high, will know for sure this evening when I check the max-min.  Yesterday's high of 17 felt almost mild thanks to little wind.  With a low of -14 the day was 13° BN and pulled January down to 0.5 BN, first time the month avg has fallen below the line.

On 1/11/2019 at 7:28 AM, Ginx snewx said:

Restructuring, eliminated my Director position 25 years, the Research Directors position 35 yrs and my employee 25 yrs. 85 yrs of combined service.  Tough being thrown out to pasture at 62 years old.  Thank god my wife has insurance. On the job hunt.

Damn sorry to hear that. Come to Central NY. We have snow. ;)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, #NoPoles said:

Life finds a way...which is why we are not the only life in the universe

stuff like lichen has been found growing on the outside of the international space station and it can live on mars.  Actually microbes like bacteria grow better and last longer in zero g conditions which is a danger to astronauts.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, ajisai said:

what's the weather model website people are using these days? trop tidbits? weather.us? pivotal?

I like pivotal...tropical tidbits is good too since it updates pretty quick....pivotal has far more parameters to choose from.

Also, it's not fancy, but the good ol' fashioned PSU ewall is pretty solid for the NCEP models....they've let their international model links turn to shit though a bit. GGEM is still ok. Just mae sure you click on the "all" link and not the actual hour.

http://mp1.met.psu.edu/~fxg1/ewall.html