Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2018/19 Winter Banter and General Discussion - We winter of YORE

Baroclinic Zone

14 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

Thanks man I am reassessing and applying to a lot of jobs that fit very well with my experience.  I have options for now but not confident folks will hire someone my age.

I would try as hard as possible to not focus on the age thing. Make your look and attitude as young as possible. Act energetic and ambitious. I too have been dealing with a pile of sht. Got my hours cut for the winter after saving my employers butt during the fall. Then 2 days later broke my collar bone. Your a smart guy and will be fine. Just remember it’s not your fault. 

7 hours ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

I would try as hard as possible to not focus on the age thing. Make your look and attitude as young as possible. Act energetic and ambitious. I too have been dealing with a pile of sht. Got my hours cut for the winter after saving my employers butt during the fall. Then 2 days later broke my collar bone. Your a smart guy and will be fine. Just remember it’s not your fault. 

Got the age thing down pat just cant fix ugly. 

Sorry about what's been happening to you. Hope you heal well and you recover your hours

On 1/11/2019 at 10:53 AM, tamarack said:

Early next month it will be 2 years since we got our rescue dog thru New England Lab rescue - she's a yellow Lab mix, looks like pics of a "Dudley Lab."  When she arrived, she was extremely scrawny and would flinch badly if one moved one's hand near her head - obviously had been struck repeatedly in her first life.   Now the flinch is gone, she's a goofy and very affectionate (and a bit chubby) friend, but one thing hasn't changed - a morbid fear of getting into the car.  We have to lift her 50 lb in, and once there she quivers and salivates.  Last winter, when I re-inventoried our woodlot, I'd hoist her into the pickup cab, drive 200 yards, and then she and I would have several hours in the woods, which she loves.  I hoped that might get her to associate motor vehicles with fun times, as compared to whatever horrible experiences caused the fear.  Has not worked at all. - still has PTSD for cars.   :(

Thank you for rescuing. Have you tried the putting a couple of blocks of pavers next to the truck ,give her a big treat when she steps on and off then keep doing that then put one on the car seat, takes a while.  Do it with a leash so she feels you. Good luck. We have a pit lab mix that was thrown out of a moving car with 3 puppies,  she was injured and all the puppies died. She hates the car and throws up on occasion but its less and less as we train her. She by the way is the most docile dog we have

On 1/11/2019 at 7:28 AM, Ginx snewx said:

Restructuring, eliminated my Director position 25 years, the Research Directors position 35 yrs and my employee 25 yrs. 85 yrs of combined service.  Tough being thrown out to pasture at 62 years old.  Thank god my wife has insurance. On the job hunt.

I am truly sorry to read this terrible news. Try to hang in there.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

Thank you for rescuing. Have you tried the putting a couple of blocks of pavers next to the truck ,give her a big treat when she steps on and off then keep doing that then put one on the car seat, takes a while.  Do it with a leash so she feels you. Good luck. We have a pit lab mix that was thrown out of a moving car with 3 puppies,  she was injured and all the puppies died. She hates the car and throws up on occasion but its less and less as we train her. She by the way is the most docile dog we have

All she has to do is see the leash (we can't load her into the car w/o it), and she lies down on her bed and won't look at us.  The treat-on-seat hasn't worked, but maybe the booster step idea would help.  Thanks.

About -10 here this morning after yesterday's 11/-4, but with no wind it's not bad.  Saw -19 at BML.

• Like 1