Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2018/19 Winter Banter and General Discussion - We winter of YORE

Baroclinic Zone

13 hours ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Kind of related--I know there has been a lot of past discussion about 6 hour board clears vs once a day or only at the end of the storm.  Just a FYI, that NWS ALY had a cocorahs event a few months back and I specifically asked the METS about that, they said they want 6 hour clears for longer events---if your able to of course.  So that's the message they had to all Cocorahs members in the ALY zones.

Poster child for this was the Jan 2016 snowstorm that lasted close to 30 hours here.  Using the clear every 6 hr method I had close to 33" (32.8" to be exact) but the maximum snow depth was 30" right at the end of the storm.  Liquid equivalent was also measured to be 3.02" (11:1 ratio).

15 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

The precursor to our early January blizzard?  VERY underrated storm, I had true blizzard conditions for 6 hours straight right in the middle of the day!  ZERO visibility!

I have to live vicariously through old posts and forum topics of past storms to help ease the pain of what seems to be a dud in the making....lol

19 hours ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Kind of related--I know there has been a lot of past discussion about 6 hour board clears vs once a day or only at the end of the storm.  Just a FYI, that NWS ALY had a cocorahs event a few months back and I specifically asked the METS about that, they said they want 6 hour clears for longer events---if your able to of course.  So that's the message they had to all Cocorahs members in the ALY zones.

When I joined cocorahs in 2009, I'd been making obs at 9 PM since 1/1/1976 and had no interest in compromising that data by switching entirely to 7 AM, choosing 2-a-day obs instead.  On some major long-duration snowstorms, I've added a tweener about 2 PM.

200% above normal snowfall prediction for the mid-atlantic/northeast

200%?  Most places with average snowfall >80" have never recorded 200%.  MA sites averaging <20" are a different story - some had 400% in 2009-10.

23 hours ago, tamarack said:

Last time I watched the cocorahs snow-measure product, its instructions were to record the storm at its max depth, and other info says that a snow-melt-snow sequence within an obs day should have the sum of both peaks reported.  Thus one could easily report a lot more snowfall than the depth OG.

That is true. It's also a bit counter-intuitive when considering that in a snow-some melt-snow scenario you only report the maximum depth of new snow. Not the totals of each snow event during the day. 

21 hours ago, backedgeapproaching said:

That's interesting that they are offering that guideline in training. All guidance, including coops, is for one 24 hour clear. In reality you could measure as many times as you want during the event (without clearing), but can only report the maximum depth of new snowfall. So even if you measured every hour, by leaving the snow on the board there is settling and melting/sublimation going on. 

2 minutes ago, HimoorWx said:

We're alive!038ca12243d154402e77da4b4561880a.jpg

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

Great game. This was actually my prediction to my former boss, who is a big City fan. I knew it was going to be a tall task and City would play with a chip on their shoulder. I take comfort in the fact that it was such a tight game and Liverpool still has a 4 pt lead.

Great game. This was actually my prediction to my former boss, who is a big City fan. I knew it was going to be a tall task and City would play with a chip on their shoulder. I take comfort in the fact that it was such a tight game and Liverpool still has a 4 pt lead.
Agreed. Going to be tough to reel in Liverpool, but nearly impossible if we lost today. Was trying to watch at work, but looking forward to watching replay without stress.

20 hours ago, mreaves said:

20 hours ago, HimoorWx said:

Agreed. Going to be tough to reel in Liverpool, but nearly impossible if we lost today. Was trying to watch at work, but looking forward to watching replay without stress.

I enjoyed the match from a footballing perspective, but would've enjoyed it more if that Stone's clearance off Ederson's hands rolled another 1.12 cm farther into the net...

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

I enjoyed the match from a footballing perspective, but would've enjoyed it more if that Stone's clearance off Ederson's hands rolled another 1.12 cm farther into the net...

It would be amazing if 1.12 cm ended up deciding the Premier League this season.  But 1.12 is quite a bit . . . it is more snow than I have so far in meteorological winter!

[âIMG]

• Sad 1

58 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

38 minutes ago, HimoorWx said:

It would be amazing if 1.12 cm ended up deciding the Premier League this season.  But 1.12 is quite a bit . . . it is more snow than I have so far in meteorological winter!

[âIMG]

I think Liverpool will react well. As they were walking off the pitch, Kompany tried to joke with Van Dyke but he was not in the mood and looked pissed off.

I knew Van Dyke was good but I had no idea he’d be as good as he has been. Liverpool spent the money from Couthino wisely between VVD and Allison. I think they have the heart and guts to go all the way. 

30 minutes ago, mreaves said:

I think Liverpool will react well. As they were walking off the pitch, Kompany tried to joke with Van Dyke but he was not in the mood and looked pissed off.

I knew Van Dyke was good but I had no idea he’d be as good as he has been. Liverpool spent the money from Couthino wisely between VVD and Allison. I think they have the heart and guts to go all the way. 

Allison's ridiculously cool save one on one with Aguero is something that definitely wasn't happening in the last several seasons.

Also the Van Dijk song fans are singing now is already one of my favorites. 

7 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Does anyone have a snow blower they’d recommend in the $700-900 range?

I got a Toro when mine blew up first storm of 15: anti clog, has worked excellent in every cement storm , around 750 

https://www.acehardware.com/departments/lawn-and-garden/snow-removal-and-equipment/snow-blowers/7468523?x429=true&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&gclid=Cj0KCQiApbzhBRDKARIsAIvZue-199SxHEiTyC6R_CT2Fi-ECkSWqR-a4x66BW8p37EWA3hX74etm0IaAv0REALw_wcB

12 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

I have the same one Chris does, I believe it’s 20 or 24”? Somehow I forget, but it works great. My Dad still has a functioning Ariens from the late 70s. Lol. 

They are pretty indestructible if properly maintained.  My father in law had one that his son in Taunton uses.   We have a Craftsman that works ok but I’m not crazy about it.

Of course this year it is gathering dust...

5 minutes ago, Whineminster said:

The Craftsman's are just rebadged Troy Bilts.....go with Ariens Honda or Husqvarna....and not the Lowe's Husqvarna's. 

This is a decent source of info

https://movingsnow.com/2012/whats-the-difference/

My Crapsman still has a Tecumseh engine that runs well, but a bunch of plastic parts make me less that psyched to use it.    I used to use it a bunch...not lately though

Who makes the Huskies sold by Lowe’s?