Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2018/19 Winter Banter and General Discussion - We winter of YORE

Baroclinic Zone

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Started as sleet and rain at the mountain when I left at 5:30pm... now just light rain at home but holy slick ice.  

It has been so cold the ground surfaces are frigid so 35F -RN is freezing to sidewalks, driveways, etc.  The dirt roads are skating rinks.

That happens a lot after a very cold stretch, It can get quite treacherous.

6 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

MPV/Montpelier is -8.7F for the first two weeks of December...that's incredible to me.  Decent 60 year period of record there with well established norms.

Cold, cold, cold.

vW3KnLm.png

Yeah, Its been cold, Ice thicknesses are at historical all time earliest coverage here, Some that i know have been ice fishing since Black Friday where earliest they have been able to get on lakes and ponds have been 12/16, Seeing 8"+ in many instances.

4 hours ago, stadiumwave said:

Looked at every +ENSO since 1950 for October 1 - December 13. No matter if it were weak positive ENSO, weak, moderate, strong, or super El Nino. The closest matches I found were:

All of these years but 1952-53 had cold Jan-Feb.

Here's the January-February composite for those years:

Screenshot_20181214-153022.jpg

What does this mean? Maybe nothing...but interesting nonetheless.

That's not bad at all.  If you stick with the weak El Nino winters you actually get '76/'77, '77/'78, '78/'79, '02/'03, and '14/'15. Results will be much simliar.

• Like 1

Not sure if we made 40, though it was close.  Was disappointed with the gusty winds mid morn, as I had two trees to drop, the 2nd needing to be wedged directly upwind.  Then the wind backed off nicely and both trees landed where I'd hoped, rather than on the toolshed.  Temps have quickly dropped under 32 this evening, getting ready for our dusting to 2", or whatever, tomorrow night.