Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
2018/19 Winter Banter and General Discussion - We winter of YORE

Baroclinic Zone

Just now, OceanStWx said:

He actually caught the glow and thought he forgot to turn off the Christmas lights. :drunk:

I’ve seen a couple of fireballs in my life. Kinda freaks me out.  Regular meteors are cool enough, but when a larger one zips across it gets the adrenaline pumping faster than when James sees a shortwave in Manitoba heading for Cape Cod, MA

• Haha 1

Just now, HoarfrostHubb said:

I’ve seen a couple of fireballs in my life. Kinda freaks me out.  Regular meteors are cool enough, but when a larger one zips across it gets the adrenaline pumping faster than when James sees a shortwave in Manitoba heading for Cape Cod, MA

I don't know, this sucker was headed right for the Gulf Stream.

• Haha 2

Winters of 'Yore

This Afternoon
Snow. Steady temperature around 9. Wind chill values between -10 and -15. Windy, with a west southwest wind around 34 mph, with gusts as high as 45 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. Total daytime snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.
Tonight
Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. Low around 7. Wind chill values between -14 and -19. Windy, with a west southwest wind 30 to 40 mph increasing to 40 to 50 mph after midnight. Winds could gust as high as 65 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 10 to 16 inches possible.
Thursday
Snow. High near 21. Wind chill values between -7 and -17. Windy, with a southwest wind 48 to 50 mph, with gusts as high as 65 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 8 to 12 inches possible.
Thursday Night
Snow likely, mainly after 4am. Cloudy, with a low around 11. Wind chill values between -9 and -18. Very windy, with a southwest wind 47 to 57 mph increasing to 60 to 70 mph after midnight. Winds could gust as high as 95 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New snow accumulation of around an inch possible.
Friday
Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. High near 18. Strong and damaging winds, with a southwest wind 75 to 80 mph, with gusts as high as 105 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of 10 to 14 inches possible.
Friday Night
Snow likely before 10pm, then snow showers likely after 10pm. Cloudy, with a low around 0. Windy. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New snow accumulation of 3 to 7 inches possible.
Saturday
A 30 percent chance of snow, mainly after 4pm. Cloudy, with a high near 21. Little or no snow accumulation expected.
Saturday Night
Snow, mainly after 10pm. Cloudy, with a low around 13. Breezy.
Sunday
Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. Cloudy, with a high near 21. Breezy.
Sunday Night
Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. Cloudy, with a low around 3. Breezy.
Monday
Snow likely. Cloudy, with a high near 16. Breezy.
Monday Night
Snow. Cloudy, with a low around 9. Windy.
Tuesday
Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. Cloudy, with a high near 20. Windy.
Tuesday Night
Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. Cloudy, with a low around 9. Windy.
Wednesday
Snow likely. Cloudy, with a high near 25. Windy.

12 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

Hmm, Matip broke his collarbone at the final whistle yesterday (I thought he looked seriously hurt after going for that header). 

That leaves them with just Van Dijk and Lovren now at centerback. Holiday schedule is going to be a grind now.

Man U are certainly up against it on Sunday. +513 on three way line. Not very often that they are that big an underdog.

13 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

Hmm, Matip broke his collarbone at the final whistle yesterday (I thought he looked seriously hurt after going for that header). 

That leaves them with just Van Dijk and Lovren now at centerback. Holiday schedule is going to be a grind now.

Losing Gomez was a big blow and now Matip.  It happened on the last play of the game, the announce commented on it.  I have no real faith in Lovren but he has come up big in the past.  Not having Van Dijk in the next UCL game may prove costly.

22 minutes ago, scoob40 said:

Man U are certainly up against it on Sunday. +513 on three way line. Not very often that they are that big an underdog.

Mourinho will park the bus and it will be up to Liverpool to break them down. United has enough talent so if the keep it close they can score at any time and snatch a point or all 3.

41 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

I saw people skating on 3 different ponds in my town yesterday late afternoon.  So awesome!

No problems with being on the ice up here, Even had someone on one of the local lakes Ice Fishing and he drove his vehicle out to the spot he wanted to fish................

ASUS41 KGYX 131110
RWRGYX
WEATHER ROUNDUP FOR MAINE AND NEW HAMPSHIRE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE GRAY ME
600 AM EST THU DEC 13 2018

MEZ002-005-006-010-012-015-018-020-021-024-026-027-029-131200-
MAINE

CITY           SKY/WX    TMP DP  RH WIND       PRES   REMARKS
PORTLAND       FAIR       8   3  80 W6        30.49R
SANFORD        FAIR      -1  -4  87 SW3       30.48R
BAR HARBOR     FAIR       3   0  87 N3        30.46R
WISCASSET      FAIR       2  -1  88 CALM      30.50R
ROCKLAND       FAIR       4  -2  76 W5        30.47R
FRYEBURG       FAIR      -9 -13  83 CALM      30.46R
LEWISTONAUBURN FAIR      -2  -6  83 CALM      30.47
AUGUSTA        FAIR       4  -1  80 CALM      30.45R
WATERVILLE     FAIR       4  -2  76 MISG      30.42R
BANGOR         FAIR       0  -4  83 CALM      30.47R
GREENVILLE       N/A      5  -4  66 N12       30.31R WCI -11
MILLINOCKET    FAIR      -7 -12  79 CALM      30.44R
HOULTON        FAIR     -11 -15  82 CALM      30.40R
PRESQUE ISLE   FAIR     -21 -26  77 CALM      30.41S
FRENCHVILLE    FAIR       1  -6  72 NW10      30.35R WCI -15
CARIBOU        FAIR      -7 -13  75 CALM      30.39R

12-13 below at my place, but no wind.  Ice has choked the narrow Kennebec channel in Augusta, earliest I've seen it catch there, probably by 7-10 days though I've not been keeping records.  If we were to get some serious RA in the coming mild-up, the river could blow out the ice, but I'm guessing otherwise.  Smelt camp entrepeneurs downriver in Randolph and Pittston are gearing up for business, if they haven't already done so.

Just now, tamarack said:

12-13 below at my place, but no wind.  Ice has choked the narrow Kennebec channel in Augusta, earliest I've seen it catch there, probably by 7-10 days though I've not been keeping records.  If we were to get some serious RA in the coming mild-up, the river could blow out the ice, but I'm guessing otherwise.  Smelt camp entrepeneurs downriver in Randolph and Pittston are gearing up for business, if they haven't already done so.

I'm guessing they already have them on in Dresden and Bowdinham on The Eastern and Cathance river.

23 minutes ago, dendrite said:

BBR -25F
Estcourt -25F
Couple more -24Fs

First Lake -22F
Lk Francis -21F
Errol -20F

Coldest I saw was -26F at Island Pond.

A friend of mine house a house in Island Pond for snowmobiling.  I was up there once back in the '90s and saw -30F.  Coldest I have ever witnessed.  He has seen -40 there.  No temp scale needed.