Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
2018/19 Winter Banter and General Discussion - We winter of YORE

Baroclinic Zone

13 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Thanks Brian.  I can easily do that.   It is really interesting to see the old and new station consoles side by side.  With breezy conditions right now they are within a few tenths F.  Last night the new station at 3m was running about 2F colder than the old station at 10m.  On a good radiation night it will be interesting to see the difference. 

I think you're going to have plenty of interesting times looking at the difference between the two stations, may even wish you had your temp sensor at 2m years ago.

16 hours ago, dryslot said:

Glad i don't live there with those fuel prices.........lol

Those do suck!  In Brunswick, I was at $2.24 the other day.  On a side note, I'm going to be spending more time at Pit1 now.  My MIL moving into Pit2 is a good incentive.  Plus, making sure the heat/pipes are okay here it makes sense.  Discovery of the cat added to the decision.  FWIW, we have a fair bit of snow cover here--at least through this week, and the dog loves being able to run free outside.

12 hours ago, dendrite said:

Global warming. Bigger versions of animals occur in warmer climates. ;)

Imagine the impact it will have on chickens.

2 hours ago, moneypitmike said:

Those do suck!  In Brunswick, I was at $2.24 the other day.  On a side note, I'm going to be spending more time at Pit1 now.  My MIL moving into Pit2 is a good incentive.  Plus, making sure the heat/pipes are okay here it makes sense.  Discovery of the cat added to the decision.  FWIW, we have a fair bit of snow cover here--at least through this week, and the dog loves being able to run free outside.

Imagine the impact it will have on chickens.

Glad it seems like its going to work out for you, Can always come back here if it looks like Bath will get slammed.....................;)

14 hours ago, dendrite said:

Global warming. Bigger versions of animals occur in warmer climates. ;)

That's why the Key deer in south Florida are so much bigger than the critters in Maine.  :lol:

Snark aside, Bergman's Rule states that animals within a species are larger in colder climates, and with proportionally shorter appendages.  A warming climate might cause heat stress in those built-for-cold animals.  ;)

Speaking of cold, might've touched -10 this morning before some clouds arrived to bump up temps.  PQI hit -17.  Long Pond in Belgrade now fully iced over, earliest I've seen that happen.

10 minutes ago, tamarack said:

That's why the Key deer in south Florida are so much bigger than the critters in Maine.  :lol:

Snark aside, Bergman's Rule states that animals within a species are larger in colder climates, and with proportionally shorter appendages.  A warming climate might cause heat stress in those built-for-cold animals.  ;)

Speaking of cold, might've touched -10 this morning before some clouds arrived to bump up temps.  PQI hit -17.  Long Pond in Belgrade now fully iced over, earliest I've seen that happen.

Come Feb, May need to slap the extension on the auger if this continues even in some of these parts.

6 hours ago, dryslot said:

Come Feb, May need to slap the extension on the auger if this continues even in some of these parts.

My hand auger gets down 30", though one has to kneel to make the final turns, and it gets harder each year to get back up.  :lol:  
By the time temps warm up late week, Flying Pond (favored icefishing spot) will probably have 12" or more thanks to near/below zero nights, subfreezing days, and no white insulation on the ice.  That's crazy for the 2nd week of December.

• Like 1

My hand auger gets down 30", though one has to kneel to make the final turns, and it gets harder each year to get back up.  :lol:  
By the time temps warm up late week, Flying Pond (favored icefishing spot) will probably have 12" or more thanks to near/below zero nights, subfreezing days, and no white insulation on the ice.  That's crazy for the 2nd week of December.

10-4 Tom on the bending down then getting back up. Lol, Yeah, This is as early that I have seen for these thicknesses up here, We have had the perfect weather conditions to build the ice pack this early with the continuous below normal temps.

3 minutes ago, dryslot said:

10-4 Tom on the bending down then getting back up. Lol, Yeah, This is as early that I have seen for these thicknesses up here, We have had the perfect weather conditions to build the ice pack this early with the continuous below normal temps.

Even a little more challenge after this morning - was swinging two heavy bags of garbage into the pickup and Isaac Newton's action-reaction law got me.   :axe:
The action of tossing those bags one way pushed my shoulders back the other, sufficient for my feet to slip on the ice, producing a sore tailbone.  In March 2015 powder-covered ice on the porch steps led to some painful bounces down three of them, and that still hurt a year later.  Today's stunt appears to be considerably less serious.  (hope, hope)

Even a little more challenge after this morning - was swinging two heavy bags of garbage into the pickup and Isaac Newton's action-reaction law got me.   :axe:
The action of tossing those bags one way pushed my shoulders back the other, sufficient for my feet to slip on the ice, producing a sore tailbone.  In March 2015 powder-covered ice on the porch steps led to some painful bounces down three of them, and that still hurt a year later.  Today's stunt appears to be considerably less serious.  (hope, hope)

Ouch, Hope you’re ok, I’m still dealing with taking a spill in my warehouse last week with a hand truck loaded with boxes, Tripped while walking backwards and landed on my right hip, That left a mark and been a bit more sore then usual back wise so I tend to be a little more hesitant to my actions when it come to just normal stuff like you related too .