Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2018/19 Winter Banter and General Discussion - We winter of YORE

Baroclinic Zone

10 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

We had an indoor cat years ago that escaped in late Feb and never came back... or so we thought.

We were getting the lawnmower out of the shed in mid to late April and we hear a meow from what sounds like under the shed.

We couldn’t believe it... the cat was under the shed, and we lured her out with canned food. Appeared to be in fine health too. Survived nearly two months in hostile temps and weather.

We had an indoor cat that got out, 3 months later we figured a coyote got him or he died of starvation, one night he showed up on the deck, skinny as hell, fur matted and dirty, we had him for 10 more years before he died if old age.

New Davis station arrived.   Hopefully will get it out in the field today.  Sitting in the driveway the low was 7.6F  4 feet off the ground.  Old Davis on the roof had a low of 11.4F.   30 feet vertical makes a huge difference.

Fan is working fine on the new station but will not be able to get anemometer up there til probably spring.  Roof is still snow covered.

6" of cement on the ground at my snowstake, but more in the woods.  Maybe, hopefully some bare ground next weekend for the animals.   Coming up on a month with constant snowcover

• Like 3

1 hour ago, wxeyeNH said:

New Davis station arrived.   Hopefully will get it out in the field today.  Sitting in the driveway the low was 7.6F  4 feet off the ground.  Old Davis on the roof had a low of 11.4F.   30 feet vertical makes a huge difference.

Fan is working fine on the new station but will not be able to get anemometer up there til probably spring.  Roof is still snow covered.

6" of cement on the ground at my snowstake, but more in the woods.  Maybe, hopefully some bare ground next weekend for the animals.   Coming up on a month with constant snowcover

:thumbsup:

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

:thumbsup:

Brian,  thanks for noticing my dewpoint was off.  The fan is working fine in the new station.  I should now see much lower minimums with the sensor being at 2 meters.  I decided to site the station on a flat area above my house.  At least the anemometer will get a fairly unobstructed view from the SE to the SW.  Either way, field or rooftop I don't get good wind readings from the NW to NE because of my slope.  Both stations are now working but the data logger is now on the new station.

Utube video of both stations  

• Like 5

Nice day of hiking in Glacial Park down on Shore Rd in Misquamicut.  Looking at Long Island in the distance across Block Island Sound from the Glacial Moraine. It was just below this point on the road below is where the cottages, a mile away that were located on the Barrier Beach at Misquamicut, ended up after a tidal surge of 15 to 20 feet. Great trail full of information boards and clear markings .Dogs loved it

20181209_131237.jpg

20181209_162036.jpg

• Like 2

Did u get a vp2 or Vue?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Lava Rock said:

Did u get a vp2 or Vue?

Lave, I got another vp2 with fan.  $599 on sale.  The old one doesn't have a fan. 

Both running right now with consoles next to each other on the desk.  Old vp2 above the roof peak is reading 25.0F.  New one out in the field at 2m is 23.0F.  Really interesting to see the difference with elevation.   I calibrated the new one with a digital thermometer using a ice bath so I know it is right.  Can't be sure about old one on the roof but that should be with .5F or so.

• Confused 1

34 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Hmm. I didn’t know you could calibrate a Davis Thermo? I may get a fan too. Scaled instruments I suppose had them? How does it work if you did not have a fan already?

It took you a year to take it out of the box and another year and a half to get the tripod from Gibbs to me to you . We won’t hold our  breath 

1 hour ago, wxeyeNH said:

Lave, I got another vp2 with fan.  $599 on sale.  The old one doesn't have a fan. 

Both running right now with consoles next to each other on the desk.  Old vp2 above the roof peak is reading 25.0F.  New one out in the field at 2m is 23.0F.  Really interesting to see the difference with elevation.   I calibrated the new one with a digital thermometer using a ice bath so I know it is right.  Can't be sure about old one on the roof but that should be with .5F or so.

Wait what? How did you calibrate the new one with the hum sensor? It should be ready to go out of the box.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Hmm. I didn’t know you could calibrate a Davis Thermo? I may get a fan too. Scaled instruments I suppose had them? How does it work if you did not have a fan already?

Let me get back to you on that. I need to see the difference in the mounting options. The 24hr FARS has its own batteries and solar panel. I would think the passive is disassembled from underneath the rain gauge and the FARS mounting bracket is assembled in its place. 

• Like 1

Just fixed my FARS yesterday. Fan was blocked by old hornets nest.

Let me get back to you on that. I need to see the difference in the mounting options. The 24hr FARS has its own batteries and solar panel. I would think the passive is disassembled from underneath the rain gauge and the FARS mounting bracket is assembled in its place. 

11 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

They are selling the FARS for $275. I mean you’d almost be better off buying an entirely new sensor suite with FARS for $422 which would give you spare sensors and parts...rain gauge/cone, transmitter, temp/hum, anemometer, etc. Either that or you can try the $97 daytime fan kit add-on. Basically, the fan will run as long as the sun is hitting the solar panel. It isn’t as effective as the regular FARS though. 

13 hours ago, dendrite said:

Wait what? How did you calibrate the new one with the hum sensor? It should be ready to go out of the box.

Sorry for the confusion Brian.   So I got the new vp2.  Got it setup,  put it outside on my lawn in a shady area for a day for acclimation.  Got my digital thermometer that has a probe and prepared an ice bath of ice/slush/snow..  I placed it in a slush/ice bath and took readings, several icebaths in fact.  It read consistantly 31.8F.   I  placed the probe on the vp2 and watched the  temperatures on both.  They read the same.  So I offset the outside temp up by .2F.

You can offset any reading on the Davis console.  See page 26/27 of the manual.  Select the feature and push the 2nd key and then press and hold SET.  Use the plus/minus key and for temp can offset in .1F.  

When we have a night that we are right at 32F and water is just barely starting to freeze on cars etc.  I will watch the temp to see if it is in fact 32F.  Guess I'm getting picky with tenths of a degree F

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Sorry for the confusion Brian.   So I got the new vp2.  Got it setup,  put it outside on my lawn in a shady area for a day for acclimation.  Got my digital thermometer that has a probe and prepared an ice bath of ice/slush/snow..  I placed it in a slush/ice bath and took readings, several icebaths in fact.  It read consistantly 31.8F.   I  placed the probe on the vp2 and watched the  temperatures on both.  They read the same.  So I offset the outside temp up by .2F.

You can offset any reading on the Davis console.  See page 26/27 of the manual.  Select the feature and push the 2nd key and then press and hold SET.  Use the plus/minus key and for temp can offset in .1F.  

When we have a night that we are right at 32F and water is just barely starting to freeze on cars etc.  I will watch the temp to see if it is in fact 32F.  Guess I'm getting picky with tenths of a degree F

Honestly I wouldn't calibrate the new sensor. You're trusting the digital probe to be accurate (what's the accuracy of that?) and you can't go by ice freezing on surfaces to judge a properly shielded 2m temp. 0.2F isn't a lot, but the temperature accuracy of those Davis sensors are great now. If it was me, I'd remove the offset. Sensirion and Davis calibrate these anyway. Just my $0.02.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Honestly I wouldn't calibrate the new sensor. You're trusting the digital probe to be accurate (what's the accuracy of that?) and you can't go by ice freezing on surfaces to judge a properly shielded 2m temp. 0.2F isn't a lot, but the temperature accuracy of those Davis sensors are great now. If it was me, I'd remove the offset. Sensirion and Davis calibrate these anyway. Just my $0.02.

Thanks Brian.  I can easily do that.   It is really interesting to see the old and new station consoles side by side.  With breezy conditions right now they are within a few tenths F.  Last night the new station at 3m was running about 2F colder than the old station at 10m.  On a good radiation night it will be interesting to see the difference.