Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
2018/19 Winter Banter and General Discussion - We winter of YORE

Baroclinic Zone

10 hours ago, dendrite said:

What a pita and waste of time in my life that would be. Off and on light snow all day that requires frequent removals that just sublimates or compacts into the snow pack anyway. I'm not completely all or nothing, but I at least want some bang for my cleanup buck and I wanted it concentrated into as little time as possible. To each their own though.

9 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

I won’t shovel. Just let it lay at that point.

Yeah, Coastal is right, you don’t have to do anything with it, and aside from measuring it and coring it… I don’t.  It was the same when we lived out in the Rockies in Montana, people know that with this kind of dry snow you can just drive over it and pack it down instead of wasting time constantly trying to clear it, because it really doesn’t offer enough substance or resistance to impede driving, walking, etc.  Since our driveway is gravel, I want to leave a certain amount of snow base on it anyway for the snow blower.  I really only need to clear the driveway after more substantial storms.  This early season has been a great example – we’ve had almost 50 inches of snow, and I’ve only had to clear the driveway for one storm, Winter Storm Bruce, which brought over two inches of liquid equivalent.  Another factor that’s not required, but is incredibly practical in this kind of environment, is having a garage.  Having an attached garage was an absolute must when we were looking for a place around here, and it makes total sense in this type of environment where you have a long winter and potentially over 100 days with snowfall.  It’s sort of ironic I guess, but the only time I actually need to get out a snow brush or ice scraper to clean snow off my car is when I park somewhere else… not at my place.  Even if you don’t have a garage, you can just turn on your windshield wipers and that snow is gone, or don’t – as soon as you drive a few feet the snow typically just blows away from all the windows.  People often think that living in this type of environment just means a lot of “nuisance snow”, but for the most part it’s fairly low maintenance eye candy.

So I made my kind-of move up to Pit2 a month ago.  When packing, one of our indoor cats managed to escape outside and vanished.  My wife came back the next night and reported it was under the deck.  I drove down the following night to coax it out.....no sign.  I stayed the rest of the week; she was gone. Then the snows and November cold set in.....we were sad, but it is what it is.

Fast forward to last night.  I came to Mass to make sure the house was still standing.  I'm watching TV enjoying the return to my wood stove, and both my dog and and I suddenly sit up because we hear meowing.  I'm like 'no way'......well, after a month Wilma had returned to a spot under the deck!  I'm so happy I came back last night--with the single-digit temps I'm sure it would have been a struggle for her to keep going much longer.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, J.Spin said:

Yeah, Coastal is right, you don’t have to do anything with it, and aside from measuring it and coring it… I don’t.  It was the same when we lived out in the Rockies in Montana, people know that with this kind of dry snow you can just drive over it and pack it down instead of wasting time constantly trying to clear it, because it really doesn’t offer enough substance or resistance to impede driving, walking, etc.  Since our driveway is gravel, I want to leave a certain amount of snow base on it anyway for the snow blower.  I really only need to clear the driveway after more substantial storms.  This early season has been a great example – we’ve had almost 50 inches of snow, and I’ve only had to clear the driveway for one storm, Winter Storm Bruce, which brought over two inches of liquid equivalent.  Another factor that’s not required, but is incredibly practical in this kind of environment, is having a garage.  Having an attached garage was an absolute must when we were looking for a place around here, and it makes total sense in this type of environment where you have a long winter and potentially over 100 days with snowfall.  It’s sort of ironic I guess, but the only time I actually need to get out a snow brush or ice scraper to clean snow off my car is when I park somewhere else… not at my place.  Even if you don’t have a garage, you can just turn on your windshield wipers and that snow is gone, or don’t – as soon as you drive a few feet the snow typically just blows away from all the windows.  People often think that living in this type of environment just means a lot of “nuisance snow”, but for the most part it’s fairly low maintenance eye candy.

I live in a different world than I used to live in now. I keep areas around the yard clear for the chickens and part of that is keeping the driveway clear so they can pick at the little rocks for grit. I used to “clear” 3” of snow by driving on it. Having that snow packed layer made it easier on the snowblower too since I never picked up rocks.

So really it’s the chickens’ fault I’ve changed. Frequent snow and rain just makes my life a lot harder...same goes for extreme temps. I’m not really trying to hate on anyone’s weather or climo.

That's great.

So I made my kind-of move up to Pit2 a month ago.  When packing, one of our indoor cats managed to escape outside and vanished.  My wife came back the next night and reported it was under the deck.  I drove down the following night to coax it out.....no sign.  I stayed the rest of the week; she was gone. Then the snows and November cold set in.....we were sad, but it is what it is.
Fast forward to last night.  I came to Mass to make sure the house was still standing.  I'm watching TV enjoying the return to my wood stove, and both my dog and and I suddenly sit up because we hear meowing.  I'm like 'no way'......well, after a month Wilma had returned to a spot under the deck!  I'm so happy I came back last night--with the single-digit temps I'm sure it would have been a struggle for her to keep going much longer.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, moneypitmike said:

Wow. Very surprised a fisher or fox or an owl didn’t get her.  Did she come inside?

36 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

That's great.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

22 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Wow. Very surprised a fisher or fox or an owl didn’t get her.  Did she come inside?

Yup--she's inside.  Somewhere I think Sarah McLaughlin is shedding a tear.

21 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Keep checking the area near WPI and Assumption.  Some beautiful old Pits

That's where this one is......a 1938 Tudor off Flagg.  By Pit standards, that's a contemporary!  Only a couple blocks from where we lived 15 years ago.  My wife will be seeing another Victorian (also on the west side) this week.  Given my new cat situation and need to adjust my living situation, I might be able to see it as well.

10 minutes ago, moneypitmike said:

Ripping snow at the airport while I slush in the lowlands.

Happy about the cat. We had a cat that showed up at my house in Ashaway RI.  As we already had 2 I asked around to see if anyone wanted one. A farmer friend living 4 miles away across 2 rivers said he wanted one. Don't cha know that darn cat showes up 2 months later. We kept her until she passed at age 11

37 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Happy about the cat. We had a cat that showed up at my house in Ashaway RI.  As we already had 2 I asked around to see if anyone wanted one. A farmer friend living 4 miles away across 2 rivers said he wanted one. Don't cha know that darn cat showes up 2 months later. We kept her until she passed at age 11

Awesome!  I'm really surprised it was able to survive with the November cold and snows.  I can't imagine there were many mice roaming around in that.  Suffice it to say, she is really happy to be in and is eating a lot!!

6 minutes ago, moneypitmike said:

Awesome!  I'm really surprised it was able to survive with the November cold and snows.  I can't imagine there were many mice roaming around in that.  Suffice it to say, she is really happy to be in and is eating a lot!!

An old-time song, with bracketed words replacing "on" and "day":

The cat came back,
She didn't want to stray.
She was sitting [under] the porch
The very next [month].

The cat came back;
She didn't want to roam.
The very next [month]
She was home sweet home.

About -5 here at 7 AM with deep blue once the sun was fully up.  No wind, so not too bad.  Nice GFS - continued cold with zero qpf thru day 8, then multiple Grinches worth 3-4" RA (though the torch-deluge shown for this coming weekend might be called a pre-Grinch.)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, tamarack said:

An old-time song, with bracketed words replacing "on" and "day":

The cat came back,
She didn't want to stray.
She was sitting [under] the porch
The very next [month].

The cat came back;
She didn't want to roam.
The very next [month]
She was home sweet home.

About -5 here at 7 AM with deep blue once the sun was fully up.  No wind, so not too bad.  Nice GFS - continued cold with zero qpf thru day 8, then multiple Grinches worth 3-4" RA (though the torch-deluge shown for this coming weekend might be called a pre-Grinch.)

LOL.  I'm going to go on a limb and say a -5 might have done her in.  

6 hours ago, moneypitmike said:

We had an indoor cat years ago that escaped in late Feb and never came back... or so we thought.

We were getting the lawnmower out of the shed in mid to late April and we hear a meow from what sounds like under the shed.

We couldn’t believe it... the cat was under the shed, and we lured her out with canned food. Appeared to be in fine health too. Survived nearly two months in hostile temps and weather.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

We had an indoor cat years ago that escaped in late Feb and never came back... or so we thought.

We were getting the lawnmower out of the shed in mid to late April and we hear a meow from what sounds like under the shed.

We couldn’t believe it... the cat was under the shed, and we lured her out with canned food. Appeared to be in fine health too. Survived nearly two months in hostile temps and weather.

There was a Golden Retriever named Murphy up here that made national news... his owner was in a car accident in Stowe that spooked the dog, and he ran off.   

The dog was seen several times in Waterbury and Stowe, VT.... it spent two years living in the wild, through harsh VT winters, occasionally seen on game cameras...then he was finally captured by a farmer in Waterbury.  

Never knew a dog like a golden retriever could survive two years in VT on its own...that's a resourceful dog.  Back with its owner now.

1 hour ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

I have an outdoor cat that was here before I moved in, so she’s at least 14 years old. She refuses to ever come inside, a tiny scrappy thing but tough as hell. I set up a little spot for her under a bump out on the back of my house. The cat literally had chunks of ice on her fur from the cold last New Years, I figured her time was getting close...yeah no...fed her this morning as usual. Pretty incredible survival skills. 

• Like 2