• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2018/19 Winter Banter and General Discussion - We winter of YORE

Baroclinic Zone

I really don't give two shits about the console. I'm always looking at the data on the PC or online...not the console. But considering how much it's outdated, it really shouldn't cost as much as it does.

As for sensor specs, a Davis VP2 with FARS will blow all of those out of the water. They are long overdue for a VP3 though. I'd like to see them go a little higher end for their non all-in-1 unit line (VP2). The technology is out there for ultrasonic wind, weighing rain gauges (Davis actually has some patents out on this), visibility, etc.

19 minutes ago, Yukon Cornelius said:

Have you experienced the false lightening strike issue?  I’m looking to get a weather station and do like this one overall, but have read negative reviews about the lightening strike detector. 

They had issues with some when they first released it. It had something to do with the aspirating fan wiring routing. They caught the issue quickly and implemented the fix. If you got the early releases they were doing the wiring update and returning them quickly if you sent them the sensor. 

For the money its a great station. Mine has been working flawlessly for a few months now. I read on a weather station forum where people put them next to Davis units and plot the data on graphs. They were pretty much dead on with each other.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I really don't give two shits about the console. I'm always looking at the data on the PC or online...not the console. But considering how much it's outdated, it really shouldn't cost as much as it does.

As for sensor specs, a Davis VP2 with FARS will blow all of those out of the water. They are long overdue for a VP3 though. I'd like to see them go a little higher end for their non all-in-1 unit line (VP2). The technology is out there for ultrasonic wind, weighing rain gauges (Davis actually has some patents out on this), visibility, etc.

The weather flow station Hazey referenced before is interesting. Claims it has no moving parts and uses an ultrasonic wind speed sensor and haptic rain gauge. 

http://weatherflow.com/smart-home-weather-stations/

Pretty cool. Colorado based company. The only issue I see personally is you have to upload your data to their servers and can then view only on phone app or WU. I've been using weather display for years and upload data to my own site, which to me is better option

The weather flow station Hazey referenced before is interesting. Claims it has no moving parts and uses an ultrasonic wind speed sensor and haptic rain gauge. 
http://weatherflow.com/smart-home-weather-stations/

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

On 12/3/2018 at 8:31 PM, HoarfrostHubb said:

Congratulations Paul.  You’ve come a long way

On 12/3/2018 at 8:56 PM, WxWatcher007 said:

Congrats, Wiz! 

On 12/3/2018 at 9:02 PM, #NoPoles said:

Wizzy, congrats man, that's awesome!

On 12/3/2018 at 9:06 PM, Hoth said:

Don't do it. Hamden has some very nice areas, but this town is a fiscal crisis within a fiscal crisis and the taxes are absurd relative to neighboring towns. North Haven or Wallingford are better options for taxes, snow and severe. Congrats on the gig btw!

On 12/3/2018 at 9:06 PM, #NoPoles said:

@weatherwiz i might have a dress you can borrow

On 12/3/2018 at 9:27 PM, powderfreak said:

Well done dude... you've always wanted to be a met from your time on the boards going way back.  Great to see it happening for ya.

On 12/3/2018 at 9:32 PM, ORH_wxman said:

Congrats wiz...you've come a long way from selling hotdogs at the little league field during 6/1/11. 

On 12/3/2018 at 9:35 PM, yoda said:

Congrats Wiz.  Just remember that there is no good severe up there ;)

On 12/3/2018 at 9:40 PM, dendrite said:

Congrats Paul. Have a 40.

On 12/3/2018 at 10:44 PM, USCAPEWEATHERAF said:

Awesome job Paul.

23 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Nice Paul. That calls for a steel reserve.

14 hours ago, Cold Miser said:

Awesome news.  Me and Miley are psyched for you.

miley.jpg

4 hours ago, dryslot said:

Congrats Paul, A lot of hard work has paid off.

Thank you all so much! It really means alot. Many of you here have played a tremendous part in where I am today. The feeling is great. And I am going to have my last 40 ever next Tuesday night :lol: 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, dendrite said:

Those cheaper ultrasonics can be unreliable. I have no experience with that station though. Vaisala makes a high end all-in-1 like that, but you’re paying for it too.

This guy has a daily plot graph comparing his weather flow to his davis vp2. There is pretty decent continuity between the two.

http://ae3.homelinux.net:845/weewx/compare.html

https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=35368.0

9 hours ago, dendrite said:

Those cheaper ultrasonics can be unreliable. I have no experience with that station though. Vaisala makes a high end all-in-1 like that, but you’re paying for it too.

Well I don't necessarily mean accuracy wise. The Davis anemometer is solid, but any ultrasonic can beat it in starting threshold, response, and match it in accuracy. The problem is with rain with wind and snow or ice. If that is heated there may not be a problem, but if not, good luck in New England with that during wintry periods.

On 12/3/2018 at 8:23 PM, weatherwiz said:

It's down in Branford right off 54. Called PeriShip. Not a bad area. It's a nice drive too from West Hartford, but it's brutal from Danbury. Luckily while I've been in school I work remotely and just go in on Friday, but once school is done I'll go in every day. I think in a few years or so I will look to move down that way (though not along the coast b/c t'storm death zone) but was thinking Hamden...nice jackpot for snow and severe

Thank you. 

Congrats Wiz!

And uh, I had a tornado a mile from my house. :rolleyes: :twister:

13 hours ago, BrianW said:

I highly recommend Acurites new Atlas weather station. I have had mine for about 2 months now and love it. Its a big update from their popular pro 5 in 1 unit it replaced. The touch color display unit is awesome and can log data on a SD card. The Acurite ap is pretty solid and its simple to hook up to weather underground with rapid fire updates. For only $256 on Amazon you get the station, color display, lighting detector, and wireless hub. Another cool feature is the wireless hub can support a ton of different sensors. You can hook up soil temp probes, temp/humidty sensors, water leak sensors, etc.

61sRcknZjoL._SX679_.jpg

How is the temp sensor?  I had an accurite a number of years ago and my biggest issue was you just couldn't have it in the sun, the temp would just be so far off.  I had to put on the north side in the shade all the time for any type of accurate reading.

33 minutes ago, StormSurge said:

Congrats Wiz!

And uh, I had a tornado a mile from my house. :rolleyes: :twister:

Thank you. Just b/c one out of the 10000 events panned out at your location doesn't mean it's now not a death zone :lmao:

Does anyone know if this site is working? I've always had trouble generating the airmass trajectories. I think I've been able to do it once.

https://www.ready.noaa.gov/hypub-bin/traj1.pl

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

How is the temp sensor?  I had an accurite a number of years ago and my biggest issue was you just couldn't have it in the sun, the temp would just be so far off.  I had to put on the north side in the shade all the time for any type of accurate reading.

It has a solar powered aspirating fan. I have a few other outdoor temp sensors and it seems pretty accurate to me when compared to them and nearby stations.  

1 hour ago, BrianW said:

It has a solar powered aspirating fan. I have a few other outdoor temp sensors and it seems pretty accurate to me when compared to them and nearby stations.  

the price of these newer units is attractive. I'm going to buy a new WS this spring and will likely go Davis again, but they are so much costlier. Although, can't complain about reliability. Mine's been going for 14yrs. Had to replace a board and solar shield.

32 minutes ago, USCAPEWEATHERAF said:

Guys, Will,

This is the latest imagery from BOX radar, 30 DBZ returns are developing in a single convergent band of OES.  Could we see thundersnows?

Thundersnows in the single band of snow over Outer Cape Cod.gif

I knew in the back of my mind you might get something out of it James!:lol: