• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2018/19 Winter Banter and General Discussion - We winter of YORE

Baroclinic Zone

Taking a peek at our southeast subforum, I'm honestly glad I don't have to feel huge emotional swings run-to-run anymore. Comparing to New England, winter forecasting is MUCH more of a headache and a huge pain as models are lacking consistency all the way to last minute that we enjoy up north. You're dealing with several factors such as the track of storm, the type of storm, extreme terrain of western NC mountains, and the strength of cold-air damming. The result? Extreme snow gradients everywhere.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, #NoPoles said:

Everything with the VA is so much more difficult...jumping through all their hoops is tiresome and frustrating...but beggars cant be choosers and im glad i atleast have something. I should be able to access everything online now, took forever to clear that up. Next time I log in, I will check all my labs. 

Not all LDL is alike. Small LDL particles are now thought to be the bigger driver to heart disease while the larger, fluffy ones are generally fine. You can have a higher LDL level, yet have a low LDL particle number too which many doctors wouldn't consider to be a big concern today. High particle number = bad...small LDL = bad

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, WxBlue said:

Taking a peek at our southeast subforum, I'm honestly glad I don't have to feel huge emotional swings run-to-run anymore. Comparing to New England, winter forecasting is MUCH more of a headache and a huge pain as models are lacking consistency all the way to last minute that we enjoy up north. You're dealing with several factors such as the track of storm, the type of storm, extreme terrain of western NC mountains, and the strength of cold-air damming. The result? Extreme snow gradients everywhere.

Usually ends in tears for the piedmont 

1 minute ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Usually ends in tears for the piedmont 

Yep, that's the biggest thing. It ALWAYS start with 15-25" medium-range model runs to get everyone hyped up only for the event to disappear because it's too warm or if the storm tracked too far north. Or if a warm nose sneaked in and turn 1-1.5" of liquid into ZR/sleetfest. The dread of disappointment is very real each event.

3 hours ago, #NoPoles said:

I scheduled myself my 6months dentist appointment and my yearly physical less than a week apart...apparently i subconsciously enjoy torturing myself. My blood work came back relatively great, my D3 is elevated. Im not taking any special supplements, only a multi vitamin so it was suggested i take it every other day instead of every day...

But somewhere between last years bloodwork and this years, my thyroid broke :(

im really not a big fan of taking pills, but this is something that can't fix itself...so for the first time in my life im on a longterm pill...kinda sad it has come to this...

I've been on thyroid hormone replacements for more than half my life (and I'm a few hours older than 'Fella.)  Have some meds for other issues as well.  So far, no significant side effects from the pills and they seem to be working - hope that will be the same for you.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, mreaves said:

Down to 19° here now.  Snowing on and off all morning.

JSpin getting farted on by the moose...he's got 3" new already and piling up since 6am.  

If that streamer continues JSpin will have a nice advisory event.

So widely variable around here...some spots in Stowe/Morrisville area with 2-3" others with D-1".  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dendrite said:

Do some digging around on thepaleomom.com

She has a lot of stuff on diet for autoimmune conditions including all of the thyroid related ones. I'm not convinced your thyroid is permanently broken. Make sure you're getting some seafood and maybe even consider some seaweed veggies (kelp or those dulce flakes). Iodine, zinc, and selenium are important for thyroid function. I used to take a multi too, but I'm not a fan anymore. Just try to get all of your nutrients from food since they tend to have other cofactors naturally with them that help to increase absorption. I don't like the Frankenstein levels of certain vitains and mineral in multis and you just piss a lot of them away anyway.

And yeah....I'd limit the gluten, sugar, and starchy carbs for awhile. What's your diagnosis? Hypo? Hashimoto's?

Just my $0.02. Good luck.

I actually know enough to know how im supposed to eat, i just dont like what im supposed to eat. Ive tried doing different things to veggies but i just gag everytime i try to eat them...i have spurts where i can do a low carb/sugar, and i always lose weight, but i cant sustain it because it makes me miserable...and then when i revert back to eating like crap, the weight always comes back + some extra pounds...im a very emotional eater...it is a constant battle...

No idea what i was diagnosed with, was just told i have a hypothyroid...supposedly i need to take levothyroxine...but i didnt see a prescription for it when i logged into my health profile on the VA website...now i just to to wait and see if anything gets mailed to me. The VA pharmacy is strictly mail order and my meds have to come from that pharmacy, i cant take a prescription and go to a regular pharmacy. So i just wait for things to show up. And then call the VA if they dont.

2 hours ago, dendrite said:

Do some digging around on thepaleomom.com

She has a lot of stuff on diet for autoimmune conditions including all of the thyroid related ones. I'm not convinced your thyroid is permanently broken. Make sure you're getting some seafood and maybe even consider some seaweed veggies (kelp or those dulce flakes). Iodine, zinc, and selenium are important for thyroid function. I used to take a multi too, but I'm not a fan anymore. Just try to get all of your nutrients from food since they tend to have other cofactors naturally with them that help to increase absorption. I don't like the Frankenstein levels of certain vitains and mineral in multis and you just piss a lot of them away anyway.

And yeah....I'd limit the gluten, sugar, and starchy carbs for awhile. What's your diagnosis? Hypo? Hashimoto's?

Just my $0.02. Good luck.

Ive been wandering around bjs looking to see what they have. Ive found thing like fajita kits that come with veggies and meat i could do, they have pre assembled shishkabob skewers, they also have prespiraled veggie noodles and also a cauliflower rice...so those might be some options that i can stomach...

I used to take kelp, but last time i went to a homeopathic type store i picked up some tri-iodine supplements

9 minutes ago, #NoPoles said:

Ive been wandering around bjs looking to see what they have. Ive found thing like fajita kits that come with veggies and meat i could do, they have pre assembled shishkabob skewers, they also have prespiraled veggie noodles and also a cauliflower rice...so those might be some options that i can stomach...

I used to take kelp, but last time i went to a homeopathic type store i picked up some tri-iodine supplements

Try those dulce flakes if you can find them. Sprinkle a little on your food here and there as a seasoning...just don't go too crazy with it. Brazil nuts have loads of selenium...1 or 2 nuts per day is good. Oysters are great for you and having them now and then will give you your zinc.

Be careful with the premade garbage (veggie noodles, etc). Try to stick to whole food if you can. The cauliflower rice is okay if there isn't anything else added to it. It's hard to change. I used to live on bread, pasta, and milk. Now I'm whole eggs, seafood, and greens. My "treats" are 95% dark chocolate and the occasional sweet potato, yucca fries, or rare fruit (I don't digest fructose well). You just need to find what works for you and what doesn't. Do you get heartburn/reflux? If so you probably really want to clean your diet up to the basics for a week or two and then slowly introduce some things back in to see what is causing inflammation. I've been able to discover that any amount of dairy will give me sinus inflammation and which foods will cause reflux (strangely bananas and those japanese sweet potatoes really bother me for that). So there can be something in your diet that you think is healthy that could be giving you issues too. We're all different so I don't believe there's one set perfect diet for everybody. We've migrated around the globe for tens of thousands of years and evolved to handle eating different foods depending on the ethnicity. The Katavans eat like 70% carbs mostly from sweet potatoes or yams while the Inuit are most fatty fish/blubber with few carbs or greens. Hopefully the pills help you in the near term.

13 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Try those dulce flakes if you can find them. Sprinkle a little on your food here and there as a seasoning...just don't go too crazy with it. Brazil nuts have loads of selenium...1 or 2 nuts per day is good. Oysters are great for you and having them now and then will give you your zinc.

Be careful with the premade garbage (veggie noodles, etc). Try to stick to whole food if you can. The cauliflower rice is okay if there isn't anything else added to it. It's hard to change. I used to live on bread, pasta, and milk. Now I'm whole eggs, seafood, and greens. My "treats" are 95% dark chocolate and the occasional sweet potato, yucca fries, or rare fruit (I don't digest fructose well). You just need to find what works for you and what doesn't. Do you get heartburn/reflux? If so you probably really want to clean your diet up to the basics for a week or two and then slowly introduce some things back in to see what is causing inflammation. I've been able to discover that any amount of dairy will give me sinus inflammation and which foods will cause reflux (strangely bananas and those japanese sweet potatoes really bother me for that). So there can be something in your diet that you think is healthy that could be giving you issues too. We're all different so I don't believe there's one set perfect diet for everybody. We've migrated around the globe for tens of thousands of years and evolved to handle eating different foods depending on the ethnicity. The Katavans eat like 70% carbs mostly from sweet potatoes or yams while the Inuit are most fatty fish/blubber with few carbs or greens. Hopefully the pills help you in the near term.

Nope i have no digestive issues and i have never had any...i have an iron stomach...yeah, i know, the pre prepped stuff can jave lots of additives...but i dont cook, and i never will...im 40, ive tried lots of things and i just dont cook nor do i want to...i like to heat and go...i do actually enjoy the cauliflower rice, ive found a mix of half cauliflower and half squash...it only has some herbs for seasonings...ive mixed some chicken in...ive tried to like sweet potatoes, but i cant...i even bought an air fryer to make my own sweet potato fries...nope, cant do it. I do eat a lot of eggs i buy pete and gerrys. (I dont have chickens) ive been thinking about ordering Barukas, and should look into brazil nuts. The veggie noodles are just veggied sent through a spiralizer, bjs does it every monring. There are no additives or preservatives or anything like that. I keep thinking about spaghetti squash...but back to that whole hating to cook thing...

Never heard of dulce flakes...will look them up...i also need to get back into using nutrition yeast...

16 minutes ago, #NoPoles said:

Nope i have no digestive issues and i have never had any...i have an iron stomach...yeah, i know, the pre prepped stuff can jave lots of additives...but i dont cook, and i never will...im 40, ive tried lots of things and i just dont cook nor do i want to...i like to heat and go...i do actually enjoy the cauliflower rice, ive found a mix of half cauliflower and half squash...it only has some herbs for seasonings...ive mixed some chicken in...ive tried to like sweet potatoes, but i cant...i even bought an air fryer to make my own sweet potato fries...nope, cant do it. I do eat a lot of eggs i buy pete and gerrys. (I dont have chickens) ive been thinking about ordering Barukas, and should look into brazil nuts. The veggie noodles are just veggied sent through a spiralizer, bjs does it every monring. There are no additives or preservatives or anything like that. I keep thinking about spaghetti squash...but back to that whole hating to cook thing...

Never heard of dulce flakes...will look them up...i also need to get back into using nutrition yeast...

Gotchya on the veggie noodles. We use the spiralizer too although it's been a few months. Cooking wise I'm kind of bland with my diet, but it doesn't bother me. I don't need a lot of different spices or tastes, but I'm probably the minority on that. I'm addicted right now to huge salads every night...an entire red bell pepper, entire avocado, almonds, some kind of meat/eggs, carrots, jicama, various greens, etc.

What about occasional sardines? Can you stomach those?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Gotchya on the veggie noodles. We use the spiralizer too although it's been a few months. Cooking wise I'm kind of bland with my diet, but it doesn't bother me. I don't need a lot of different spices or tastes, but I'm probably the minority on that. I'm addicted right now to huge salads every night...an entire red bell pepper, entire avocado, almonds, some kind of meat/eggs, carrots, jicama, various greens, etc.

Never tried sardines...i could take an educated guess and say no...

I do like zesty flavors, not overwhelming spicy heat, but nice and zesty...maybe savory? And i def prefer raw veggies over any type of cooked ones...though i keep thinking i should like roasted veggies...i cannot do mushy veggies. I made buffalo cauliflower a few times and basically burn the cauliflower because i want it to be 100% crispy...just my preference

7 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I can do bland white fish...like cod or scrod, but shellfish is a NO!

43 minutes ago, #NoPoles said:

I can do bland white fish...like cod or scrod, but shellfish is a NO!

Damn girl. What the hell are you doing in New England? ;)

I think I've read there's higher incidences of thyroid disorders in midwestern US people while asian people have some of the lowest. Many think it has to do with seafood consumption. So if you can find some seafood veggies or meats you can tolerate it may be a good idea to incorporate some in. Of course I'm not a doctor or nutritionist...just throwing out some harmless ideas I've learned over the years.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dendrite said:

He hasn't been able to get his Davis online in 10 years.

So far so good RE the accuracy without an aspirating fan, too....I have another sensor on the north side of the garage in the shade, and my WS 2000 consistently a degree below it, so I don't I do think the placement of the sensor on the bottom of the suite is eluding solar irradiance. The sensor array is also white, too, which should limit that.