Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2018/19 Winter Banter and General Discussion - We winter of YORE

Baroclinic Zone

17 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

That’s why I love man snow. 11/15/18, 12/9/17, and 2/5/16 stick out. Absolutely caked. 

This is was an old face book cover photo from Feb 2016. It was S+ and caked here. Unfortunately this storm took a few lives from the wet snow. Always beware.

I think my favorite man-snow event was 12/30/16. Looked like someone nuked the suburbs north of Portland.

Cumberland-power-lines.jpg

I did the drive home at midnight from GYX, and the scenes looked like this except pitch black with no power.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, USCAPEWEATHERAF said:

My man snow of my lifetime was the great storm of Boxing Day 2004, Brewster got 18.5" officially and I got around 16", I was with my little brother and my father at home alone with the power out, when my dad was plowing, my youngest brother was only 2 at the time, he is sixteen now.

That was a good one for you guys.

6 hours ago, Cold Miser said:

...Scott always delivers with the pics.  This time he has out done himself.  Sh*t is truly magically unreal.  That shot of the top 1/4 or so of the trails heading into the cloud of doom is so awesome.

Skiing from sun into the clouds with snow falling is about as cool as it gets. Those pics are crazy good

35 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

That's an awesome pic too, you and Scott can make some money with your winter pics.

I definitely can't compete with Scott... he knows what he's doing. Most of mine are c**p taken with a cell phone. The only reason they look somewhat good is because the mountains offer lots of great picture opportunities, but every time I look at the ones I take compared to the original I realize the skill that people like Scott have. 

For those that use bufkit...I've been doing alot lately playing with those values next to the momentum transfer option (1, 10, 20, and 30). I know that they correlate to mixing strength and depth of the mixing layer, however, I don't really understand more beyond this and I've tried to find some information online. What do you want to be looking at and looking for when deciding which of the thresholds to use? The differences in terms of wind potential can be HUGE too. For example, at EWR tomorrow night...if you set the threshold at a 1 you get like no gust potential, however, if you set it at a 10 all of a sudden you're talking about 25-35 knot gusts.