Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2018/19 Winter Banter and General Discussion - We winter of YORE

Baroclinic Zone

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

Any flakes flying near the peaks from the top of the clouds below? I've seen that on MWN before.

PF,  very cool picture.  That would be so neat to start out in the clear air, great vis and ski down through overcast into snow falling below.  I would guess this happens many times in the Alps or places with huge verticals...

Brian, was at Home Depot down in Tilton today looking at extension poles to see how high I could get my anemometer over ground level with my new weather station.  It comes mid week.  Still trying to figure if I can roof mount it.  Having it on a tripod in the field would give me more accurate readings on radiational cooling nights and I could probably get the anemometer at perhaps 10-12 feet AGL with a pole.  Going to have to dig through snow to level it and stake the tripod into the ground. Relay panel is another $160 if I keep the station down in the field and roof mount the anemometer which would put it at the near 10 meter height which is the correct height for wind measurements.  Decisions, decisions... 

4 hours ago, dendrite said:

Any flakes flying near the peaks from the top of the clouds below? I've seen that on MWN before.

No didn't see any of that.  

My last run at 4pm might have been some of the most beautiful undercast with pastel sunset colors on the horizon.  Hope to post some photos later, but that was about as stunningly peaceful and beautiful you can get.  

Magical world in the mountains.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Happy happy birthday Old Man Winter! @weathafella

Spectacular last beach visit of the year.  Weekapaug RI and Tyler Swifts house in Watch Hill RI. Felt great to walk about a half mile on the beach, getting better. Zaator 6 months 65 lbs, absolute sweatheart.

20181201_114729.jpg

20181201_124048.jpg

Jesus christ. Looks like July. I'd kill for that.

6 minutes ago, mreaves said:

What was that yellow shiny thing in that first pic?

We cleared out for like 15 minutes today and the atmosphere just couldn't handle it and the sky filled with low cumulus. More rain tomorrow...just when it was starting to get less wet.

9 minutes ago, dendrite said:

We cleared out for like 15 minutes today and the atmosphere just couldn't handle it and the sky filled with low cumulus. More rain tomorrow...just when it was starting to get less wet.

It was stunning there today. No wind warm sun, started as a bluebird beach day but hazed up pretty fast.