Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Winter 2018-19 Banter Thread

Ralph Wiggum

On 1/3/2019 at 10:38 AM, The Iceman said:

Very true Paul. Look at 15-2016.. I finished almost 10 inches above average because of largely one storm. In this year, I think it's a higher than normal chance for something similar to occur. Maybe not a winter of yore but snow wise, I don't think anyone can ever say in this era of climate change that there's no shot for a big snow this winter or really any winter. 15-2016 had no business being an above average winter yet it was. Like I said in the other thread, I think it's becoming more likely we see a brief period of favorable looks where we will score either in the beginning or end with minor events possible in between. Not winter of yore but not a total blank. It is clear the pattern is certainly more delayed than anticipated as it looks like late January now at the earliest. 

Justin, as you know I am not a subscriber to climate change hysteria....until we have at least 500 years of accurate data I won't bite....by then both of us will be long gone. That said I do believe in climate patterns and cycles....we have had an incredibly snowy period during the last 20 years....we will for sure revert to lower than normal and folks that prescribe to climate change will attribute the lack of snow or even no snow in a winter season which I think we see in the next 10 years to climate change. As my favorite original weather weeny Ben Franklin said - folks will always say weather is changing and it was colder when I was younger....heck my Dad always says there was always snow on the ground in the 40's and 50's...but the facts do not support that.....I am all about the facts and only thermometers outside of heat island's like PHL.

All that said while not a winter of yore....I remain confident we see some significant winter events before the Phillies start their season!!

5 minutes ago, ChescoPaWxman said:

Justin, as you know I am not a subscriber to climate change hysteria....until we have at least 500 years of accurate data I won't bite....by then both of us will be long gone. That said I do believe in climate patterns and cycles....we have had an incredibly snowy period during the last 20 years....we will for sure revert to lower than normal and folks that prescribe to climate change will attribute the lack of snow or even no snow in a winter season which I think we see in the next 10 years to climate change. As my favorite original weather weeny Ben Franklin said - folks will always say weather is changing and it was colder when I was younger....heck my Dad always says there was always snow on the ground in the 40's and 50's...but the facts do not support that.....I am all about the facts and only thermometers outside of heat island's like PHL.

All that said while not a winter of yore....I remain confident we see some significant winter events before the Phillies start their season!!

Are they even going to sign any big name players or are they holding out for Trout in 2020?

Just now, Ralph Wiggum said:

Are they even going to sign any big name players or are they holding out for Trout in 2020?

Steve - so far it has been a great off season IMHO - they have significantly upgraded at 3 of the 8 positions and a big addition to the Bullpen. LF with McCutchen; SS with Segura; 1B with Hoskins and Robertson for the back end of the pen. Now even without any other signings I believe they are now an above .500 team for the 1st time since the glory years of 2007-12. Regarding the big signings....I mean what Philly team has ever committed to spending "stupid money" to make the team better than the Phils? I have never believed they would sign either Harper or Machado....but that is certainly no fault of the Phillies. They will overpay with offers for both players....but may lose out as it has nothing to do with the Phillies willingness to spend and improve the team. If Machado wants to be a Yankee and Harper a Dodger they will not get either player...no matter how much they overpay Now some philly fans that don't understand the dynamic of baseball may say the Phils failed....and that will be the vast majority of the Philly sports fan view. I like many will be disappointed that they do not sign either one of these players....but I will not fault the Phils. They are doing all they can to get better....an I think they will be better in 2019 either way. Keep the faith!!

2 minutes ago, ChescoPaWxman said:

Steve - so far it has been a great off season IMHO - they have significantly upgraded at 3 of the 8 positions and a big addition to the Bullpen. LF with McCutchen; SS with Segura; 1B with Hoskins and Robertson for the back end of the pen. Now even without any other signings I believe they are now an above .500 team for the 1st time since the glory years of 2007-12. Regarding the big signings....I mean what Philly team has ever committed to spending "stupid money" to make the team better than the Phils? I have never believed they would sign either Harper or Machado....but that is certainly no fault of the Phillies. They will overpay with offers for both players....but may lose out as it has nothing to do with the Phillies willingness to spend and improve the team. If Machado wants to be a Yankee and Harper a Dodger they will not get either player...no matter how much they overpay Now some philly fans that don't understand the dynamic of baseball may say the Phils failed....and that will be the vast majority of the Philly sports fan view. I like many will be disappointed that they do not sign either one of these players....but I will not fault the Phils. They are doing all they can to get better....an I think they will be better in 2019 either way. Keep the faith!!

Didnt realize those signings they made. Very impressive! I was NEVER big on them spending 350$ million on a Harper or Machado. They made some significant improvements as you said....I can live with that. Another solid ace would be nice but maybe that's a pickup they make when they are on the cusp of being a contender. Was glad to see Santana go. Herrera needs to have a more consistently productive year in 2019. On the right track Phinally! Now about those Flyers lol.....

3 hours ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Didnt realize those signings they made. Very impressive! I was NEVER big on them spending 350$ million on a Harper or Machado. They made some significant improvements as you said....I can live with that. Another solid ace would be nice but maybe that's a pickup they make when they are on the cusp of being a contender. Was glad to see Santana go. Herrera needs to have a more consistently productive year in 2019. On the right track Phinally! Now about those Flyers lol.....

They still may though....I believe the Phils are 1/3 teams still in the hunt for harper.

55 minutes ago, ChescoPaWxman said:

JB with Weatherbell saying all the players are now on the field that may lead to one of the all-time greatest comeback winters.....now whether that is reality or not.....like I said stay tuned

JB swings for the fences, unlike most of his peers. That is why he has a devoted following.

Admittedly,  he has to eat crow more frequently than some as a result, but he clearly sees it as a reasonable tradeoff.

I actually think the worst loss of the season against the saints earlier this season will serve as more motivation for this defense. This D is like a Hornets nest again and we outdueled the top D in the league today. Completely different team than when the Saints played the Eagles in the regular season. I am ' cautiously optimistic' :D

38 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

Man, just realized it's approaching almost 2 months since our Nov snowstorm. Boy, we really pissed away some valuable snow potential days with nothing to show and still nothing definite looking into the future. 

Nah - multiple snow chances and increasing cold on most modeling today....to your point nothing definative and of course it never is with weather - but no change to my views on the coming cold and snow! 

11 minutes ago, penndotguy said:

Cmon I think we all see the obvious, after this ridiculous wet weather we are heading down a cold dry road to nowhere. I hope I’m wrong 

I kind of agree with this. I can easily see an extended suppressed pattern then a 7 day window of opportunity when it finally relaxes. EPS weeklies and CFS have been hinting at this. Like you, I also hope I'm wrong.