Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
December Banter 2018

George BM

12 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

1-2" of ice is not epic... a FOOT of ice is epic. Maybe we can get a cat 5 up the Potomac AND a foot of ice in the same year. I'd retire from tracking weather if that happened.

Would hate it if that ever happened.....You retiring from tracking weather, that is.

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

1-2" of ice is not epic... a FOOT of ice is epic. Maybe we can get a cat 5 up the Potomac AND a foot of ice in the same year. I'd retire from tracking weather if that happened.

i don't know, 2" of ice (freezing rain that is) would be pretty wild lol.  i don't remember any ice like that since 94, though we've had some legit glazers since.

1 hour ago, Bob Chill said:

Just don't kill too many bunnies if we end up with just 10" of ice accretion and a cat 4 up the Potomac and we're good ;).  

Believe it or not I did just watch it (brother is a fan). He was rooting for the guy that won though, not the one you wanted.

Ah, well the guy who won was a nice guy too. Just felt that the other guy controlled the end game well. It was a great season, people are are always surprised it’s on season 37 but it’s still great! Been on (literally) my whole life and still great.

2 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

Ah, well the guy who won was a nice guy too. Just felt that the other guy controlled the end game well. It was a great season, people are are always surprised it’s on season 37 but it’s still great! Been on (literally) my whole life and still great.

Oh no doubt. That's the impression I got from watching the finale at least (didn't really watch any of the other episodes, lol).

42 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

When I read "Season 37" I thought you meant 37th year, but didn't think Survivor came out in 81.  That's only a year after CNN started and when I was a sophomore in college - yes, I'm old.  

Did a bit of research and realized there's been more than one season per year, which is misleading.  When I grew up, the term season was equal to a year.  Guess that's not the case anymore, which makes a show sound more marketable as having been on the air longer they it actually has.  According to Wikipedia, Survivor launched May, 2000, which would make this year and season 27 or 28 based on the traditional measure of what denotes a season.  But clearly that sort of traditional measure is dated (pun intended)...  sigh.    

Glad you and other enjoy it - was never a fan.  Lived overseas during most of it's early hayday and found the manipulative aspects of the game disenfranchising to the moral gut of what America stood for.  But I guess that's part of the game.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Speaking of anniversaries, 25 years today that i started my job.  Ice storm of Jan 94, worked outside in the coldest wx I've ever worked that month, walked out onto the Potomac when it was frozen over in 2001, hot summers, hurricanes.

Lots that i've seen and done in that time.  Place I work for has been good to me.  Lucky to have had this gig for this long.

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, H2O said:

Speaking of anniversaries, 25 years today that i started my job.  Ice storm of Jan 94, worked outside in the coldest wx I've ever worked that month, walked out onto the Potomac when it was frozen over in 2001, hot summers, hurricanes.

Lots that i've seen and done in that time.  Place I work for has been good to me.  Lucky to have had this gig for this long.

congrats friend on 25 years!!! 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, RDM said:

When I read "Season 37" I thought you meant 37th year, but didn't think Survivor came out in 81.  That's only a year after CNN started and when I was a sophomore in college - yes, I'm old.  

Did a bit of research and realized there's been more than one season per year, which is misleading.  When I grew up, the term season was equal to a year.  Guess that's not the case anymore, which makes a show sound more marketable as having been on the air longer they it actually has.  According to Wikipedia, Survivor launched May, 2000, which would make this year and season 27 or 28 based on the traditional measure of what denotes a season.  But clearly that sort of traditional measure is dated (pun intended)...  sigh.    

Glad you and other enjoy it - was never a fan.  Lived overseas during most of it's early hayday and found the manipulative aspects of the game disenfranchising to the moral gut of what America stood for.  But I guess that's part of the game.  

I was really confused too. Thanks for clearing up.

41 minutes ago, H2O said:

35 years ago I started pushing a broom in a grocery store for $3 an hour...there is something to be said for longevity. Congratulations on your Anniversary 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, H2O said:

The "you've chosen to ignore X poster" option is becoming more appealing by the day.

Not a big fan of the orchestra.  Rarely am I driven nuts from anyone. I'm getting close.

Congratulations on 25 years! I will have my 25 year anniversary with my vocation in 2019. I never planned on it being a career until sometime after year 12. Strange how things happen.

4 minutes ago, Stormpc said:

Not a big fan of the orchestra.  Rarely am I driven nuts from anyone. I'm getting close.

Congratulations on 25 years! I will have my 25 year anniversary with my vocation in 2019. I never planned on it being a career until sometime after year 12. Strange how things happen.

Congrats to you as well.  25 years def was not a thought i had when I first started so its really something to note when it gets to that mark.  Being so far away from the end of the road makes you just focus on the current and before you know the years of service pile up.

Its been a damn good place to work as far as stability and growth. Going from lowest person on the payroll to providing for a family.  Now if work would just let me chill the last couple years i have left.  lol

• Like 1

2 hours ago, H2O said:

Congratulations H2O!  Having a career where we consider ourselves fortunate is priceless.  Hats off for living the dream.

I too have been lucky - for 33 years now I can't wait to get to work.  Sometimes I can't wait to go home, but have been very fortunate to live in many different countries and environments, and experience some of the most dramatic weather mother nature can muster.  Gives one all the more appreciation for how great we have it in the good ole USA, and why the visa lines at our embassies are always the longest. 

• Like 3

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic