Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December Banter 2018

George BM

3 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Well you're already a well developed disaster. 

rotflmao - Well said psu.  You'd think he'd get the hint, hint and more hints by now...   Then read more and post less,,,   or... sleep on his draft posts and then when he wakes up, delete them and save us all the from the anguish.  sigh

Just a quick aside for anyone considering going to western North Carolina to chase the storm.  Public works in the south are far different from those in the north.  Even though Boone averages 35 inches of snow a year, the state of North Carolina pays for ike 2 snowplows.  In major snowstorms, the area is totally crippled, you will be stuck for a couple days until melting commences!

7 minutes ago, Inthepines said:

Just a quick aside for anyone considering going to western North Carolina to chase the storm.  Public works in the south are far different from those in the north.  Even though Boone averages 35 inches of snow a year, the state of North Carolina pays for ike 2 snowplows.  In major snowstorms, the area is totally crippled, you will be stuck for a couple days until melting commences!

Where do I sign up?

12 minutes ago, Inthepines said:

What if it starts melting on contact...how many days then?

27 minutes ago, Inthepines said:

Love the Boone/Blowing Rock area. Beautiful and has a great micro climate.

My brother lives outside of Greensboro (like me lol, different state). His yard should do pretty well for this event, but nothing like the high country.

9 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Love the Boone/Blowing Rock area. Beautiful and has a great micro climate.

My brother lives outside of Greensboro (like me lol, different state). His yard should do pretty well for this event, but nothing like the high country.

Boone's climate is awesome for being so far south.  Cold, snowy and gorgeous (but the wind can be just too much!)

1 minute ago, supernovasky said:

I visit Blowing Rock every year, twice a year. Never been in the winter but seeing their snow forecast makes me want to!

I was there several years ago around Xmas. Left the Triad area with temps in the 40s. There had been a rain event the previous night. Up in the high country, the trees were all coated with a thin layer of ice with a couple inches of snow on top. Temps were in the low 20s in Blowing Rock with lots of wind. It was gorgeous. Looked like a Christmas card.

22 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

I will need to consult with Justin Berk on this.

One of my company's IT guys was talking to me yesterday about how the CMC showed a hit, but chances were small we would see snow. When I asked him where he heard that from (knowing he isn't really a weather guy) said "oh Justin Berk on facebook". I audibly groaned. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

For anyone considering chasing keep in mind some of the towns in western NC have a pretty severe shadow effect from the 6,000 ft mountains.  Asheville is not a great spot for big snow totals.  Boone has a much better climo for big storms.  However, if this keeps trending south they COULD be on the northern edge of where the best snowfall occurs.  I am less familiar with the climo of the specific towns further south in NC but I know once you get south of Mt. Mitchell there are some pretty extreme snowshadow effect areas.  

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic