Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December Banter 2018

George BM

13 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

If your point is that this is subjective....well duh.  Some think something is funny and others thing its stupid.  I am probably guilty at times of posting "banter" in non banter threads.  But I try to not have it distract from the flow of the thread and side track the conversation.  And if I am told to stop or knock it off I respect the wishes of the moderators.  Maybe I still go too far for some but there are others who would and have completely derailed a thread if they weren't reigned in.    Someone has to moderate.  We know what kind of mess it would become if there was no moderation at all.  And moderating is subjective, but they are doing the best they can to manage the desire of all the members and best create good discussion in all the threads.  This seems like no big deal... you can still have the banter stuff just during storm mode do it in banter thread.  "But some people get away with it" seems like a weak sauce argument...what next "life isn't fair".  

My point was favoritism. My apologies for not making that more clear. And none of what I was expressing was intended to be taken as an argument -- more as an observation. An argument would assume I have an underlying belief that I can change a viewpoint or outcome -- which I do not believe is the case here.

12 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

I totally agree with your first paragraph.  So what?  Don't add to the problem (and that's not directed at you specifically.  I mean everyone).

As far as paragraph two is concerned, I feel that it contradicts paragraph one.  Is it fair that some posts stay and some posts disappear?  Who cares?  If you know your post doesn't belong in a thread, then don't post it there (and again, "you" is general).  

Not sure where you are seeing the contradiction but here's a clarification:

Paragraph 1 is an observation of favoritism and an anecdotal recount of how I've seen posts handled over the years

Paragraph 2 are my personal feelings towards posting in general and why all posts I think should be left in place even if sometimes they are slight banter. Because who wants to read post after post after post of technical weather stuff without a shred of humor or symbolism to break the monotony, sheesh.

11 minutes ago, mappy said:

would you like my log-in to see what we have hidden from everyone else? we don't willy-nilly pick and choose what to delete and what not to. nor are people's posts removed out of spite or due to having "favorites". If a banter post doesn't get removed, when others may feel it should, there probably is a reasonable explanation. No one around to see it, or when they finally do see the post its hours old and not worth removing, just as an example. We have also asked that people report posts they feel should be brought to the attention of moderators, and as far as i know, not many people do that. I removed a handful of posts yesterday, pre-storm mode. Two from a forum member cursing at others, and a few others between a couple people who were bantering back and forth and you could see it was going to get out of hand. I'm not sure I have removed any since storm mode went into effect, but have seen only a few be removed, usually very off topic and just adding clutter. 

We deal with this every year, which is a shame, as you said... you've been around for a while and have seen things over time, yet we still have this silly argument year after year after year. 

I don't think it's a shame and I appreciate the explanation of how you personally handle the process. My main point was favoritism leads to obvious problems when its used in conjunction with post censorship.

5 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

You never have to fear repercussions for speaking your mind, I (and the rest of the staff) don't and SHOULDN'T work like that.  You can call me the worst admin in history and I wouldn't do one thing to you or your account and I wouldn't let anybody else do anything to your account.    It is what it is.

And of course there is some bias at play with MINOR things like banter here and there.  But there is no censorship here, so let's stop with the maudlin cries of it.   You are free to say what you want, provided that it's in the right thread.  

I appreciate you saying this. I think that all makes sense and is fair. I just don't think censorship is too strong a word. It is censorship when you take a post and completely delete it -- again, presuming it wasn't offensive or violent. Moving posts to a different thread makes sense and I can do a better job of posting in the right place myself. 

But if the post is deleted (which Ive seen happen to mine, and were not offensive in the slightest), that is censorship... don't know what else to call it. You have a better word I'm open to hear it.

Just now, ravensrule said:

Apparently humor eludes you. I was KIDDING. My posts can't get moderated. I rarely post in the storm threads anymore. I still love you though. 

Bad humor eludes me.  Its fine tho.  This might make me throw up in my mouth but you like the Caps and it keeps me from removing ALL your posts in any thread.  See?  Favoritism.

6 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Well, I wouldn't say I doubt the chaos element...I just don't like it, lol Like...I wanna be able to see something 5-7 days and know for a fact either it will work or not. 

But really...it's the close misses that outright depress me the most. I hate seeing somewhere just above or below getting the snow we should've gotten...particularly when it happens multiple times a year! (Feels like someone intentionally robs us just because)  And the tracking leading up...I get nervous with model runs, and the bad trends are draining. (and then if it misses it takes me a day to recover...it's awful. And I get ticked when I hear about other people's snow)

And really...you mentioned having realistic expectations...well, I think, prior to 2013/14, I knew it wouldn't snow every year, but I had no clue as to how close it can come (because I wasn't following weather models until that winter).

You sound like you need a therapeutic snow chase.  I have way too much going on in life now to do it or to even get that worked up about it anymore but back in the day when I would get to where you seem to be and was about to go full tilt I would just do a snow chase.  Take a couple days off and pick the next big storm and go get myself my snow fix.  Maybe that wouldn't be a bad idea.  

3 minutes ago, H2O said:

Bad humor eludes me.  Its fine tho.  This might make me throw up in my mouth but you like the Caps and it keeps me from removing ALL your posts in any thread.  See?  Favoritism.

Yea baby. Sorry my humor is bad and not as funny as yours. Let's look at it this way, i'm Howard Stern and you are Andrew Dice Clay. I LOVE YOU. It's a shame it's not mutual love, but i'll get over it. 

• Haha 1

Just now, mappy said:

hard to remove your posts when all i see is this - go blame someone else for your posts that disappear. 

Capture.PNG

Now you have hurt me. I'm sorry you have chosen to ignore me. You have lowered my self confidence immeasurably. I hope you still love me as much as H20 does. 

3 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

You sound like you need a therapeutic snow chase.  I have way too much going on in life now to do it or to even get that worked up about it anymore but back in the day when I would get to where you seem to be and was about to go full tilt I would just do a snow chase.  Take a couple days off and pick the next big storm and go get myself my snow fix.  Maybe that wouldn't be a bad idea.  

That helps some, but it's not the same as snow in your back yard.  Fortunately, I can be in Davis in 105 minutes from my door. 

1 minute ago, PivotPoint said:

My point was favoritism. My apologies for not making that more clear. And none of what I was expressing was intended to be taken as an argument -- more as an observation. An argument would assume I have an underlying belief that I can change a viewpoint or outcome -- which I do not believe is the case here.

Not sure where you are seeing the contradiction but here's a clarification:

Paragraph 1 is an observation of favoritism and an anecdotal recount of how I've seen posts handled over the years

Paragraph 2 are my personal feelings towards posting in general and why all posts I think should be left in place even if sometimes they are slight banter. Because who wants to read post after post after post of technical weather stuff without a shred of humor or symbolism to break the monotony, sheesh.

I don't think it's a shame and I appreciate the explanation of how you personally handle the process. My main point was favoritism leads to obvious problems when its used in conjunction with post censorship.

I appreciate you saying this. I think that all makes sense and is fair. I just don't think censorship is too strong a word. It is censorship when you take a post and completely delete it -- again, presuming it wasn't offensive or violent. Moving posts to a different thread makes sense and I can do a better job of posting in the right place myself. 

But if the post is deleted (which Ive seen happen to mine, and were not offensive in the slightest), that is censorship... don't know what else to call it. You have a better word I'm open to hear it.

There will never be evenly handed out moderation of posts in a storm mode thread because the people given the task of doing so will (A)miss things due to not being there 24/7 (B)have their own ideas of what is a good/bad post and what might come as a shock (C)defer to letting posts stay when they actually shouldn't.

And to be totally honest, no one is above the law.  I hide a ton of Ji posts at times because he will be a petulant child if snow disappears.  Does he add stuff at other times?  Sure. I have had my posts hidden due to not adding much so again it happens to all of us.  Do I take it personally?  No.  It tells me I should have not posted and show better restraint next time.  The common theme tho is that we all wish posters here would self censor and think before hitting submit.  That doesn't happen. So then we step in and ask for restraint and then go to storm mode to help deal with it all because simply too many just don't listen.  Not every thought is needed.  I don't pick up a catalog for lawn equipment to see page after page of cosmetics.  Do you?

The ones here who do try to keep disco threads on topic are only trying to help and keep things manageable for all to enjoy.  Its volunteer work on our part.  Not everyone will be happy.  Sorry this bothers you to the extent it does.  

3 minutes ago, ravensrule said:

Now you have hurt me. I'm sorry you have chosen to ignore me. You have lowered my self confidence immeasurably. I hope you still love me as much as H20 does. 

this is why you are on ignore. we use to get along fine, early on when you first started coming around, but at some point you got a little too chummy with me and made some really questionable posts my way. i chose to stop engaging you to limit the amount of bickering we were doing. 

because of that, i do not moderate your posts. i ignore you, except when you mention me, and i see it in others quoted posts. 

i'm not sure why you feel like you need to come in and stir the pot over moderation, mention H2O and myself, then whine about how your posts disappear. If you have a legit complaint, please talk to Randy, or another green tag over it, I am sure they would be happy to help. Otherwise, please stop mentioning me. 

1 minute ago, mappy said:

this is why you are on ignore. we use to get along fine, early on when you first started coming around, but at some point you got a little too chummy with me and made some really questionable posts my way. i chose to stop engaging you to limit the amount of bickering we were doing. 

because of that, i do not moderate your posts. i ignore you, except when you mention me, and i see it in others quoted posts. 

i'm not sure why you feel like you need to come in and stir the pot over moderation, mention H2O and myself, then whine about how your posts disappear. If you have a legit complaint, please talk to Randy, or another green tag over it, I am sure they would be happy to help. Otherwise, please stop mentioning me. 

I WAS MAKING A JOKE. i wasn't complaining over my posts being hidden. TBH like i told H20 i haven't posted in the regular threads much at all and i don't think i have had a post hidden in ages. I am glad you can be so mature about this. Enjoy the rest of your day. 

Slightly BUT... the problems are whats going on to the northeast... its still trending worse.  Ignore everything else and just look to our northeast...and look at the trend the last 72 hours... 

Responding to this here. In banter.

That wall needed to stop backing that *** up at some point. It did not. It kept backing it up.

4 minutes ago, ravensrule said:

I WAS MAKING A JOKE. i wasn't complaining over my posts being hidden. TBH like i told H20 i haven't posted in the regular threads much at all and i don't think i have had a post hidden in ages. I am glad you can be so mature about this. Enjoy the rest of your day. 

congrats you made a funny! enjoy your life and leave me alone

28 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Well, I wouldn't say I doubt the chaos element...I just don't like it, lol Like...I wanna be able to see something 5-7 days and know for a fact either it will work or not. 

But really...it's the close misses that outright depress me the most. I hate seeing somewhere just above or below getting the snow we should've gotten...particularly when it happens multiple times a year! (Feels like someone intentionally robs us just because)  And the tracking leading up...I get nervous with model runs, and the bad trends are draining. (and then if it misses it takes me a day to recover...it's awful. And I get ticked when I hear about other people's snow)

And really...you mentioned having realistic expectations...well, I think, prior to 2013/14, I knew it wouldn't snow every year, but I had no clue as to how close it can come (because I wasn't following weather models until that winter).

then you picked a bad sport to play in pal.....

close misses are tough on the mind/heart, but that's sorta the fun of it if you think about it.  If you dont enjoy that, then I'd suggest to stop looking at weather maps.  Not being mean, but being honest.  Its just how it is sometimes.

Just now, pasnownut said:

then you picked a bad sport to play in pal.....

close misses are tough on the mind/heart, but that's sorta the fun of it if you think about it.  If you dont enjoy that, then I'd suggest to stop looking at weather maps.  Not being mean, but being honest.  Its just how it is sometimes.

Problem is...I didn't pick this hobby...I fell into it because of my love for snow...Now that I know the weather models and such exist...it's hard NOT to look at them now. I'm addicted (quite literally...especially when there is a threat. I can't stop checking this page and I get amped up on the model suite times...often at the expense of doing something more productive...and often at the expense of being in a lighter mood if things trend badly). So since I dread a miss if it's close...that's why I wish there were certainty (but I know that's not realistic). So it can be hard to simply "enjoy the chase" when it's like...if it hits you can be happy, but if it misses it depresses ya...(like an emotional wager everytime). Would love to just take the misses in stride, lol

10 minutes ago, H2O said:

See, i didn't dump a bunch of posts that I normally would have because of complaints of "censorship" and now there are valid complaints of not doing enough.  

Fun job, ain't it?

Yup. I’ve literally had discussions at the same time how I’m too draconian and not draconian enough. Can’t win. 

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic