Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December Discobs Thread 2018

George BM

23 minutes ago, das said:

This parade of full latitude winter storms is remarkable.  How many times have we seen this so far in the last two months?

1246549322_Dec-27-201810-27-16.thumb.gif.f56f3bdedbb4fc45fba0f697a26a3eed.gif

if it's gonna rain, i like the idea of temps in the 50s tomorrow.  wondering if this ends up being a midwest winter.  the next few weeks will speak volumes as to how this winter turns out.

50 minutes ago, das said:

Looks to be a soaking, warm-sector rains for the 12 hours leading up to Midnight on NYE as well.  Sprinting through the finish line to end the year...

It does. It will be interesting to see if the heaviest rains will be focused on the Baltimore-Washington area and nearby suburbs. It has certainly been a memorable year for precipitation.

19 hours ago, donsutherland1 said:

Through December 26, Dulles International Airport (IAD) at Sterling, VA has received 65.12" precipitation. That is the second highest yearly precipitation total on record. The record is 65.67", which was set in 2003.

Another storm will bring a moderate to possibly significant rainfall to the region Thursday into Friday evening. It is likely that enough precipitation will be recorded so that total precipitation during 2018 will surpass the 2003 record. Some implied probabilities based on sensitivity analysis applied to the 12z and 18z guidance:

0.25" or more: 90%
0.50" or more: 76%
0.56" or more: 71% (amount needed to surpass the 2003 annual precipitation record)
0.75" or more: 54%
1.00" or more: 31%

All major models have over 1" at iad now. Some have over 2". Record is pretty much a slam dunk unless some very odd dryslot forms.

• Like 1

Ahead of the upcoming rainstorm, below is a list of select locations that have set annual precipitation records this year:

Baltimore: 70.05”
Beltsville, MD: 64.80”
Charleston, WV: 66.18”
Cumberland (2), MD: 66.24”
Danville, VA: 65.93”
Emmitsburg (2 SE), MD: 75.57”
Frostburg (2), MD: 73.75”
Lynchburg, VA: 63.78”
Mechanicsville (5 NE), MD: 79.62”
Oakland (1 SE), MD: 69.77”
Roanoke: 60.84”
Washington, DC: 64.77”

In addition, Sterling, VA has received 65.12” precipitation this year. Following the upcoming storm, Sterling will very likely have surpassed the existing record of 65.67”, which was set in 2003.

• Thanks 3

13 hours ago, wxdude64 said:

So...NWS failed again on forecast here, was for a high of 49, high was 39.8 and it has fell to 39.1/27.8 currently. Wonder if we could get a little surprise sleet until the dew and temp met when precip arrives, I'll be watching. Radar is showing pinks just to my west as it advances.

Nope. Precip never made it to me until just before midnight. The DP and climbed to 31 by then, temp locked in the 39 range all night while DP continued to climb, no sleet when it started. STILL 39.9/39.4 at 7:30 this am. Another 0.44 to add to the record numbers for the year.

4 hours ago, Stormpc said:

1.08 event so far, 79.8 for the year. 

1 hour ago, MN Transplant said:

1.09”

75.21” annual

I had the same amount in S. Arlington: 1.08! System slightly underperformed (for me) because they were calling from 1.5 to 2.5 (most models). 

Temp never got close to 60 as they had also called. My high was 51. 

1.08" for the day...   sigh.  So tired of rain, especially when the temps are within 10F or so of promoting white stuff.  The ground is so saturated the water gushes up around your feet as you walk.  

Pretty darn foggy out there.  Was outside about 2 hours ago when the rain was trailing off.  Had a slight touch of wind and then you could feel the warmer temps and humidity roll in over just a couple of minutes.  Transitioned quickly from fairly good visibility post rain to dense fog in just a few minutes.  Rather surreal to be out as the conditions changed so fast.   

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic