Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December Medium/Long Range Discussion

WxUSAF

7 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Yea, that gefs +ao sure looked like a blip. Abrupt shift and out of line with the eps and geps. 

If we're heading into the advertised pattern during the last week of Dec then it's all systems go for chances. Pretty nice seeing the ens showing the pattern early. Weeklies showed the same shift but 10 days or so later. Long duration Pac onslaught worries can take a back seat now. Just like we hoped, it seems to be nothing more than a temporary reshuffle. 

Tomorrow's weeklies will prob have us drooling....

Although I can’t help but think about our Xmas-new years 2017 epic overrunning pattern...:unsure:

3 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Although I can’t help but think about our Xmas-new years 2017 epic overrunning pattern...:unsure:

Yea, too much of a good thing. Definitely possible.

Last winter's early cold period was notable at least. Thickest ice I've ever seen on the illegal skating pond. Could have driven a car across it. 

27 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

You have too much anxiety...relax. 

Sorry, I'm trying....I think I'll feel better when we hit warning criteria down here (that verfies). We simply cannot waste this nino or this pattern if it verifies...who knows when we see our next weak-mod nino (unless this one will last for two years!) Don't wanna see us suppressing all winter and then getting another nina...

14 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Yea, too much of a good thing. Definitely possible.

Last winter's early cold period was notable at least. Thickest ice I've ever seen on the illegal skating pond. Could have driven a car across it. 

That's gonna really suck to have that happen two late Decembers in a row...smh (even in a nino? You would think that would diminish that possibility...)

2 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

Good thing the 16 day GEFS is so reliable. 

We are not going to have another debate about whether we should talk about long range guidance in the LONG RANGE thread. We all know any one run of any guidance at day 15 is low skill. But no one here is basing anything seriously on one run of anything. What do you think we should use to discuss long range pattern trends?  Chicken bones and tarot cards?  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bob Chill said:

No prob. There's 2 volumes. I've only read volume 1. The greatest resource out there for understanding upper air and mid level patterns for our good storms (or any east coast storm). Worth every penny. Check ebay and see if you can get a used copy. 

https://www.amazon.com/Northeast-Snowstorms-1-2-Set/dp/1878220640

Thank you very much!

19 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

We are not going to have another debate about whether we should talk about long range guidance in the LONG RANGE thread. We all know any one run of any guidance at day 15 is low skill. But no one here is basing anything seriously on one run of anything. What do you think we should use to discuss long range pattern trends?  Chicken bones and tarot cards?  

The nice thing is the current global drivers, El Nino profile, the seasonals, snow cover , the strat, sensible weather tendencies so far, etc,.  all support the pattern forecasted in the long range. Few years have as much good concensus coming up as we currently have now. It makes it easier for me to accept the longer range modeling. 

Another cool thing is that since early November cold seems to be winning out and storms have been happening frequently.  

• Like 1

EPS kicking up the -EPO bigly and quicker than the 0z run. Totally different look d13+ in our parts compared to 2+ runs ago. GEFS may win another model war. 

I'm worried though because it now looks like a stout -EPO so storms will miss south or it will be cold and dry. 

ETA: we now have agreement with the GEFS/EPS/GEPS with cold making it here before Christmas. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I watch the sloshing in Joe Bastardi's bathtub.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

EPS kicking up the -EPO bigly and quicker than the 0z run. Totally different look d13+ in our parts compared to 2+ runs ago. GEFS may win another model war. 

I'm worried though because it now looks like a stout -EPO so storms will miss south or it will be cold and dry. 

ETA: we now have agreement with the GEFS/EPS/GEPS with cold making it here before Christmas. 

That's our Christmas Day snowstorm ejecting out of the Rockies... I can definitely envision a wave along the arctic boundary in that setup. Just enough SE ridge to get some return flow and WAA across the thermal boundary.  Just need a little energy to time up...IMG_7949.thumb.PNG.15ac71e113af71eeedd08882e1b5f4ea.PNG

• Like 4

Just now, psuhoffman said:

You're trying hard to send maestro into a panic attack aren't you?

I can't find anymore bunnies... What can you do?

Sure looks like a cold north america pattern is on tap. Every clue we can glean from the long range implies the pattern will have legs. We'll know in 2 weeks if it's the real deal. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Wait...so we DON'T want a -epo? (Or just not TOO negative?)

I can't find anymore bunnies... What can you do?

Sure looks like a cold north america pattern is on tap. Every clue we can glean from the long range implies the pattern will have legs. We'll know in 2 weeks if it's the real deal. 

Starting to wonder if seeing cold is enough to be optimistic...I'd much rather gamble with temps than too much cold and suppression--because obviously north trends aren't in the cards these days.

36 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Starting to wonder if seeing cold is enough to be optimistic...I'd much rather gamble with temps than too much cold and suppression--because obviously north trends aren't in the cards these days.

You worry too much. The pattern showing up strongly favors the mid-Atlantic getting action. Sometimes it will favor southern portions, sometimes north, sometimes all. Northern missed out this time that is all. And with how active both streams have been we will get plenty of chances this year if the pattern showing up is legit.

• Like 6

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic