Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December Medium/Long Range Discussion

WxUSAF

10 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

Correct.  That's why that storm will happen as is.  It's a lock and there will be no changes.  I'm not even joking.   Imagine if we loved rain.   This hobby would be 90% less stressful.  

the last time a modeled cutter didnt pan out.....we were eating crabs at Marcus

1 minute ago, WxUSAF said:

GFS setting up the Xmas torch nicely at 384 lol

Well the day 16 on an op aside...I actually like some of what I am seeing the last few runs in the period after the big bomb cutter... plenty of energy diving into that trough with ridging in a good spot up top.  Its an "interesting" period.  

4 minutes ago, AfewUniversesBelowNormal said:

Expect the longer term weekly models to start losing the +PNA configuration

I love reading all of the in-depth analysis here on this site.  It is so wonderful to have so many posters with such a vast knowledge of the weather!!

• Haha 2

GEFS and EPS are picking up on a possible decent track between the 19th-22nd. It's an ok long wave pattern for something to track underneath but temps will remain suspect due to pacific airmasses even with a perfect track. 12z gefs actually looks half decent. Active southern stream undercutting the canadian ridge could produce an overrunning event or even a coastal track. 

It's a longshot and way too far away to have a lick of confidence but it's not a shutout pattern leading into the holiday week at least.  

Vcdotp9.jpg

• Like 2

5 hours ago, AfewUniversesBelowNormal said:

Why has every model been -NAO for the Winter, it's been 5 straight Winter's of +NAO. They've had a really hard time developing, -NAO waves. It's not going to happen without Stratospheric warming. 

Not sure every model is actually advertising that, but there is a pretty strong correlation between a CP/ EP based El Nino, and development of a -NAO, especially during the latter half of winter. I suspect we will see some legit NA blocking periods this winter. 

1 hour ago, psuhoffman said:

We missed you

Lol. Some people should be required to get a license before operating a keyboard. 

In weather news... gefs and eps are agreeing on the -epo and aleutian low setting up before Christmas. Based on the h5 progression, the first legit cold airmass would be centered in the west first and then shift eastward.

Seeing close ens agreement and prominent anomaly locations this far out in time is very encouraging. I have a strong hunch we'll be tracking a legit east coast threat during the holiday week. If the weeklies are more right then wrong it would be the beginning of an extended wintry period in the east half of the conus. 

We can still score before that bit it's a long shot pattern. I'm getting kind of excited. The -epo has shown up a lot since 2013 but not during a nino. Aleutian low, -epo, and split flow could get really interesting...

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Lol. Some people should be required to get a license before operating a keyboard. 

In weather news... gefs and eps are agreeing on the -epo and aleutian low setting up before Christmas. Based on the h5 progression, the first legit cold airmass would be centered in the west first and then shift eastward.

Seeing close ens agreement and prominent anomaly locations this far out in time is very encouraging. I have a strong hunch we'll be tracking a legit east coast threat during the holiday week. If the weeklies are more right then wrong it would be the beginning of an extended wintry period in the east half of the conus. 

We can still score before that bit it's a long shot pattern. I'm getting kind of excited. The -epo has shown up a lot since 2013 but not during a nino. Aleutian low, -epo, and split flow could get really interesting...

Feb/Early March 2015 was -epo/+pna driven, wasn't it?

28 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

It's getting hard to find new ways to say "everything is looking good" in terms of the winter pattern evolving everyday. I'm confident we will have ample legit threats to track and barring epic, Greek mythology worthy, only exists in Ji's nightmares kind of bad luck we should end up happy by spring. Well most of us. Ji will still be fretting about the ones that got away. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

It's getting hard to find new ways to say "everything is looking good" in terms of the winter pattern evolving everyday. I'm confident we will have ample legit threats to track and barring epic, Greek mythology worthy, only exists in Ji's nightmares kind of bad luck we should end up happy by spring. Well most of us. Ji will still be fretting about the ones that got away. 

Add my nightmares to that...lol You got me a little freaked out by 1980 now...but yes, if 1980 DOESN'T happen, we oughta be good!!

5 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Add my nightmares to that...lol You got me a little freaked out by 1980 now...but yes, if 1980 DOESN'T happen, we oughta be good!!

Even in 1980 DC ended up above normal snowfall. But some epic bad luck prevented it from being a blockbuster year as several BIG storms got mostly suppressed just south of D.C. It was an epic winter for central VA to NC. But seriously it's not worth worrying about it. Could that happen. Sure...but odds are against it and we can't change it by worrying so why bother?  

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic