Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December Medium/Long Range Discussion

WxUSAF

Just now, nw baltimore wx said:

We wouldn't need storm mode if people could control themselves and not post every inane thought that goes through their head.

I’ve been reading/posting for about 5 years. IMO this thread has stayed pretty on-topic 

wouldnt day I’ve seen a whole lot of “insane” posts. But to each their own I guess.

On topic:

the one big feature I’ll be watching (trend wise) next 48-72 hours is the ridge axis out west. It was touched on this morning and I definitely agree that our more successful outcomes tend to happen when the heights are ramped up and the line centers through Idaho. Key feature imo 

• Like 1

Just don’t know how anyone can assess that “it’s over” based on one 6 hour run that shows Zero when the previous showed 6” and the next Zero, then 6 again.
Exactly. It's still ways to go until final day. But ch4 Doug Kammerer said it's south and not to expect anything

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

16 minutes ago, luckyamaha said:

Exactly. It's still ways to go until final day. But ch4 Doug Kammerer said it's south and not to expect anything

That’s a bold call on his part 4 days out and considering the size of their viewing area.  One tick and EZF gets WWA criteria snow.  2 ticks and close to DC metro gets something.  Not usually one for optimism but I don’t think this is dead and buried as far as getting some snow for some.  

• Like 2

That’s a bold call on his part 4 days out and considering the size of their viewing area.  One tick and EZF gets WWA criteria snow.  2 ticks and close to DC metro gets something.  Not usually one for optimism but I don’t think this is dead and buried as far as getting some snow for some.  
I Agree still plenty of time and tomorrow will tell another story. I'm in NW Stafford so got at least a chance of 15%.

1 minute ago, losetoa6 said:

It is good seeing storm after storm showing up in guidance...sooner or later we'll get ours  . Gfs showing a real strong low day day 9 giving Garrett co snow . 

Glancing over the GFS and that may be worth keeping an eye on. A little work needs to be done though. Something to at least keep us occupied until we get our Christmas Eve snowstorm. 

gefsday16.gif.321b6ab0854a668292ef639c47a5c14e.gif

We will have to recover from a Pacific airmass due to a piece of the PV setting up near Alaska for a few days.  But it's not a shutout no hope pattern. The stj is undercutting and its possible to get a just cold enough storm. Best odds would be a trailing wave type thing. But once towards Xmas if the whole pattern continues to retrograde things will become very favorable again soon. 

1 hour ago, psuhoffman said:

We will have to recover from a Pacific airmass due to a piece of the PV setting up near Alaska for a few days.  But it's not a shutout no hope pattern. The stj is undercutting and its possible to get a just cold enough storm. Best odds would be a trailing wave type thing. But once towards Xmas if the whole pattern continues to retrograde things will become very favorable again soon. 

JMA weeklies show the potential for busy weather underneath in this set up, which in time I hope improves further to an even colder and snowier pattern.   

24 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

GFS with the old 1000mi run to run shift in the storm location for our next precip maker around the 15th.

GFS with a couple of fantasy land "threats" the week before Christmas.  It won't be a cold week...probably seasonable to slightly above normal temps...but given the h5 look on the ensembles I could see a way that something undercutting the ridge in Canada could work.  Not high probability but a chance.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

GFS with a couple of fantasy land "threats" the week before Christmas.  It won't be a cold week...probably seasonable to slightly above normal temps...but given the h5 look on the ensembles I could see a way that something undercutting the ridge in Canada could work.  Not high probability but a chance.  

Yup. I don’t see a big torch anytime. A few days AN with cutters and then seasonable or just BN afterwards. I think there could be a few chances before XMas, but I bet we get busy right around XMas.

• Like 2

Today’s GEFS continues the pattern of the last few showing a SE trough near the end of the run. Not much cold air around, but looks like storm chances. Need the Canadian ridging to move west a bit and up over the pole to get some cold air back around.

13 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Getting closer...

IMG_7909.thumb.PNG.67f0d3e247768dea40e21a587b48f156.PNG

Hey psu you think near and beyond this time frame we start to see an improved Pacific ?

I see we are going to go through MJO 3 to 5 so warmer,  ( 50 maybe mid month )  and then hopefully back to colder and stormier later. repeat the progression again.   

It seems we never really lose the Atlantic side, but it would be better if the Pac improved further. 

If any indication from previous years like this one,  once we lock into a better Pac hopefully that  stays for a while.

Thinking we are not fully seeing the changes taking place now, and in the next 15 days,  at the top from the SPV displacement. blocking might go a bit crazy but my fear is I hope not cold and dry. 

Seasonals say don't worry about moisture though. 

And tonight we will see if the weeklies remain robust for cold and precip like they did this past Monday for late month and Jan  

• WxUSAF pinned this topic
  • WxUSAF unpinned this topic