• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335

1 hour ago, John1122 said:

I'm going to have to go to Camp Creek during one of these events. It's probably the strongest low elevation winds you can experience without being in a tornado/storm/hurricane.

Yeah, I need to get over there.  Just about an hour from my house.  Has to be impressive.  

On a side note unrelated, the mountains have a decent amount of snow on them and rain falling tonight.  I suspect that some of these mountain streams will get out of their banks.  Places like the Doe River worry me the most.  LeConte had 16" of snow last Friday...so that is going somewhere as well.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, John1122 said:

I'm going to have to go to Camp Creek during one of these events. It's probably the strongest low elevation winds you can experience without being in a tornado/storm/hurricane.

It would be worth the trip. I was out there a few years ago when there was a 92mph gust. I wish the wind tower was there for the 2004 event, it was crazy. It had to be close to 100mph.

• Like 1

Water is rolling down the Nolichucky in Erwin as well as its tributaries.  I didn't get as far as the French Broad, but my route along I-26 definitely revealed full mountains streams.  If we get any prolonged stretch of cold, I would be somewhat concerned that all of that water freezes within those rocks and we get a slide once it thaws.  What is pretty amazing is that there is still snow up high in sheltered valleys and long north facing slopes, not a lot but impressive given the amount of rain.

On 12/27/2018 at 9:28 PM, Carvers Gap said:

Yeah, I need to get over there.  Just about an hour from my house.  Has to be impressive.  

On a side note unrelated, the mountains have a decent amount of snow on them and rain falling tonight.  I suspect that some of these mountain streams will get out of their banks.  Places like the Doe River worry me the most.  LeConte had 16" of snow last Friday...so that is going somewhere as well.

It's 15-20 minutes from my front door. We'll set up an AmWx TN Valley meet-up! :D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Carvers Gap said:

Looks like the record at TYS is also 74.  They are at 73 right now.  Want to take a guess when that record was set?  December 31, 1984....take a minute and think about that winter.  

84-85 was the 4th snowiest winter of all time in Memphis, looks like TYS broke the record low in January 85 at -24.

• Like 1

As you said, beautiful in Knoxville today!!

Some fun clouds too

Overall the winds were making for all kinds of weird clouds at different levels across the Eastern Valley and mountains on the satellite.

Look what else happened in February then the very end of Dec of 1984. We've seen that it happened in Dec. but didn't know it happened in Feb that year too.

knox 12-31.png

SSW table.png

• Like 1

As the upper level jet forcing races the high clouds out of the way, you can really get a sense of how potent this upper low is. It almost looks annular:

giphy.gif

Closer up, really fun to watch these storms develop as the upper low heads east:

giphy.gif 

If there was any cold air north I feel like someone near Louisville would be getting hammered! 

• Like 2

Looks like the snow level fell to around 3000 or so feet before it all ended based on radar. Saw a pic on the news of Newfound Gap with a nice inch or two. Some areas at elevation in e. KY and High Knob may have had 8 hour verification of the thunder in winter = snow coming. Meanwhile, the back edge of the clouds isn't quite to TRI yet, but here in Knoxville it is a glorious, clear morning. I can't remember the last time I woke up to a crystal clear sky. Beautiful day on tap!

46 minutes ago, Holston_River_Rambler said:

Looks like the snow level fell to around 3000 or so feet before it all ended based on radar. Saw a pic on the news of Newfound Gap with a nice inch or two. Some areas at elevation in e. KY and High Knob may have had 8 hour verification of the thunder in winter = snow coming. Meanwhile, the back edge of the clouds isn't quite to TRI yet, but here in Knoxville it is a glorious, clear morning. I can't remember the last time I woke up to a crystal clear sky. Beautiful day on tap!

Same here buddy, it’s been a while since I could actually see the sunrise.  This morning that was no problem, beautiful sunrise and looks like a beautiful day.

• Like 1