• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335

On 12/11/2018 at 9:03 AM, Blue Ridge said:

Incredible. Looks like KTRI bottomed out at 14°, while Abingdon dipped to 9°.

Meanwhile, a PWS in Bristol, VA, recorded a low of 4.3°, while a PWS in Meadowview, VA recorded a low of 2.6°. Obvious cautions about relying on PWS data apply.

I only recorded a low of 16 this morning. Was there an inversion? I can believe the airport and Abingdon could have reached their low's respectively but I am very doubtful of the other two low temps. As for the earthquake, I have nothing to report except catching Z's. I wish I had felt it.

• Like 1

Mt. Leconte kicked my butt today! Special thank you to @Hvward  from the Foothills/ Mountains subforum of the SE for helping me decide what time to start. Glad for that info, since earlier was better. 

The original plan was to go up Alum Cave, but 411 was already closed, so I decided to try Rainbow Falls. When I got to that trailhead I saw a sign that said "high water makes Rainbow Falls trail unpassable" so I decided to try Bullhead trail. Never been on that one before and after trying it out, I bet it has some amazing views. Unfortunately most of those are from the burn scars of 2016. 

Here are my pics:

https://imgur.com/a/zqe33M4

From about 3000-4000 feet it went from heavy snow, to heavy rain, to heavy mix. After 4000 feet, it was all snow. I'd say at least 8-12" at the top. One drift was probably 2 feet.  I made it to about 6100 feet, but that last bit of the trail was on the exposed top of Leconte and I was soaked from rain, snow, and sweat. I had all waterproof outer layers/ boots/ but apparently I needed more base layers because for the first time in doing something like this I was scared of hypothermia. My core started to get cold and I said, time to go back. Maybe I'm just getting older. 

Here is what it was like where I stopped: 

The snow was really fine, but everywhere. It was like being in a sand storm. Here is the best video I could get of the snow type: 

It was wet. Not just from snow melt, but from recent rains. I had to cross 4 creeks that had turned into little waterfalls. It wasn't too big of a deal, but all that water is running off and if you look at the last of my images on imgur, there's already a minor flood situation in Sevier county. There were some roads just outside of Gatlinburg that were about to be covered by streams. 

Waterfall in the snow: 

All in all a fun day, but glad to be home!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3