• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335

Absolutely beautiful outside right now. A snow squall is passing over with bursts of 2-3 in. an hour rates. Some of the snow is coming down over an inch in diameter. I finally got my share haha. Since it's arrival the temperature has dropped a whole 5 degrees from 32 to 27! UPDATE 1: Temperatures have risen back to 29 but it is still snowing at a light to moderate rate. Soon, I will take a measurement once this period of snow ends. UPDATE 2: Another smaller snow squall is currently (1:14 ) passing over with more heavy rates. UPDATE 3: A good 1.3 inches of snow IMBY fell in the last hour and a half. A few snow showers may follow after but this looks to be the end of the snow squalls.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, BlunderStorm said:

Absolutely beautiful outside right now. A snow squall is passing over with bursts of 2-3 in. an hour rates. Some of the snow is coming down over an inch in diameter. I finally got my share haha. Since it's arrival the temperature has dropped a whole 5 degrees from 32 to 27! UPDATE 1: Temperatures have risen back to 29 but it is still snowing at a light to moderate rate. Soon, I will take a measurement once this period of snow ends. UPDATE 2: Another smaller snow squall is currently (1:14 ) passing over with more heavy rates. UPDATE 3: A good 1.3 inches of snow IMBY fell in the last hour and a half. A few snow showers may follow after but this looks to be the end of the snow squalls.

That’s awesome man,  sounds like a fun day!!

• Like 2

1092332148_img_11031.thumb.jpg.bb649fa241265c2e0079a77bedd0a82f.jpg623634823_img_11051.thumb.jpg.688f7dad8861290b8e2a9db5fc0b16ed.jpg1766268515_img_11091.thumb.jpg.557d5b404526b510b4a9019643902d7f.jpg

3 hours ago, AMZ8990 said:

That’s awesome man,  sounds like a fun day!!

Thanks, looks like I can call today's snow accumulation early. In total 1.5 inches fell with some flurries/light snowfall both before and after the snow squalls. This brings the seasonal total just under 3 inches. Note: I'll post some images later when I get the time to. At some point I'll start an album and just send a link to it.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, BlunderStorm said:

Thanks, looks like I can call today's snow accumulation early. In total 1.5 inches fell with some flurries/light snowfall both before and after the snow squalls. This brings the seasonal total just under 3 inches.

3 inches isn’t to shabby seeing as it’s only early December.  You might triple that Total by this time next week!!! Lol

On 12/1/2018 at 5:38 PM, Holston_River_Rambler said:

Alright @Carvers Gap thunder in Knoxville and its heading up that way. Here we go! 

Amazing to go from as cold as it has been to a nice thunderstorm!

I am continually amazed by this rule..."If it thunders in the mountains it will snow within _______."    Some say that blank is filled with seven, ten, or fourteen days.  It just depends on how that rule gets passed-down within families.  I have always used ten days.  Some might explain it away by saying that it is going to snow anyway during winter every so often, so it has a decent chance of verifying.  In other words, some might say you could pick a random day during winter, and it will snow within ten days.  Still, I have jogged in the snow twice this week.  I have also seen winters where we go several weeks with no snow whatsoever.  Like any rule, there are exceptions.  But it is just uncanny how many times it works!

• Like 1

If any science is behind it, I submit the amplified weather pattern in general. Also could get the warm sector storms followed by cold sector snow. If separated by a week. probably two separate troughs in an amped up pattern. Makes some sense. Plains versions is tornadoes and snow, lol!

• Like 2

Agree there is likely some science behind it.....We did the tornadoes and snow version as well.  The great superstorm of 1993 was preceded by a tornado outbreak on February 22nd.   One hit downtown Lenoir City.   Then on March 12th(18 days later...spirit of the rule and not to the letter), nearly two feet of snow fell.  Amplified patterns  are wild.

• Like 2

Been a while since I’ve checked in over here. It’s been wet. Extremely wet. To the point that I am very concerned about the development of freezing fog overnight. I am now over 60” of rain IMBY for the year. Had close to 4” of wasted 38 degree qpf from the big system this weekend and today. 

https://imgur.com/a/VYVrCG3 

This AMs fog on GOES 16. It is COLD in areas that got snow in NE TN and SW VA. 

Some interesting observations on the NT microphysics setting:

1. Looks almost like the fog is blowing off South Holston lake. I've seen that happen on other area lakes when it is really cold and get lake effect snow. Dendrite growth zone has to be super low for it though. 

2. At a couple of points there are some fun swirls that come of the SW edge just south of Knoxville

3. At around Knoxville, Muscle Shoals, and Jackson, TN among others there are little dots that pulse that the satellite picks up on. Normally I'd think it was the city, but then where are they for Nashville/ Chattanooga/ Memphis?

• Thanks 1

Pretty amazing what deep snow pack can do.........  We have a dying air mass and areas with deep snow pack seemed to manage to get down into the low single digits to the mid teens in northeast Tennessee and southwest Virginia.   I am always amazed what snow on the ground can do to temps!

Incredible. Looks like KTRI bottomed out at 14°, while Abingdon dipped to 9°.

Meanwhile, a PWS in Bristol, VA, recorded a low of 4.3°, while a PWS in Meadowview, VA recorded a low of 2.6°. Obvious cautions about relying on PWS data apply.
  • Like 2