Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
December 2018 General Discussion

snowlover2

30 minutes ago, fluoronium said:

HRRR is picking up on some pretty intense wind gusts here over the next few hours. ILX doesn't even have an advisory out for us.

vind.png.c37f4318b4da32c4a39fbe793ed1a4bd.png

Probably because mixing depth looks very poor.  There are a couple sites in central IL gusting around 45 mph, so advisory could be warranted, but that map may be a bit overdone.

3 minutes ago, Chambana said:

Champaign is currently running 4.1 degrees above normal for December, and will add on that by months end. 

For the entire calendar year Champaign will finish with 18.1” of snowfall. 

The snowiest month of 2018 will be April. 

I'm guessing that is unusual at your latitude.  :lol:

7 minutes ago, Chambana said:

Ha, yes! I mean 4.9” of snow was the snowiest month? Ugh. I’m telling you man, the snow gods have not been on our side the last 4 winters. 

We were whiffed by that blizzard last month too. 

If April is going to be the snowiest month, at least go for something big.  That's just bad. :axe:

• Haha 2

Once again, I am at Cleveland Airport, and I am 0.8-0.9 miles away from the CLE radar. I am so happy to be close to such an important weather radar.  Well, sort of. I don't know how many 3 GHz microwaves I want going through my body. Anyway, it is a mild day here. There should be a few more rain showers soon. Things have been pleasant for my trip to Ohio. No slippery sidewalks, no nasty wind chills. 

3 hours ago, Angrysummons said:

That's just wrong

Our winters In a nutshell since the legendary 2013-2014. We missed out on GHD II completely, we missed the brunt of the big November 2015 storm, and completely whiffed on last months blizzard. 

2 hours ago, Hoosier said:

If April is going to be the snowiest month, at least go for something big.  That's just bad. :axe:

Go for something big? Hoosier that mentality has gone out of the window for central Illinois for the last 4 years. We have been nickle and dimed to death. Try not to complain but damn, it’s been brutal here. 

2 hours ago, Angrysummons said:

The upper ov/lower lakes area is in a large snow slump. It some respects it started in the winter of 2014-15 with the super bowl snowstorm surging north the last 24 hours and 2015-onward has been very disappointing.

Bingo my friend. Here it started December 2014. We only recorded a T the entire month. 

4 hours ago, Angrysummons said:

The upper ov/lower lakes area is in a large snow slump. It some respects it started in the winter of 2014-15 with the super bowl snowstorm surging north the last 24 hours and 2015-onward has been very disappointing.

Definitely not in a long snow slump in southeast Michigan but this December has been brutal.

14 minutes ago, hlcater said:

Models seem to be trending towards a more phased solution with the NYE piece of energy. Thus the trend further NW over the past few runs makes sense because of this. The FV3 even has some 8-10” totals, but it is by far the strongest solution. 

Could have at least a modest ice threat with that system too, but it's not an ideal setup.  First off, no snowcover in the potential ice area to help reinforce low level cold and also, the surface high is not really set up great with not much of an influence extending into the Lakes, which actually results in broad low level southerly flow out ahead.  Could be a nice amount of 33-34 and rain where it's not ice though, lol

2 hours ago, (((Will))) said:

Didn't make it, but ty!

Switch over was at 2pm, but it switched back at around 3:30. Dunno why, been busy with other things and haven't paid close attention to forecasts. Snowing pretty hard right now.

I'm very disappointed. 2.5" of heavy wet snow, then off and on light freezing rain and drizzle since... temp didn't climb above 32.  

North winds and colder air later should favor here for some decent back end snow, but it's not an ideal situation. Probably will get an advisory issued with next package for Baraga and N Marquette County. How much up there?

It will look beautiful tomorrow with the ice and fresh snow

untitled.thumb.png.465f07c9365d72fc502b3d9d60d79610.png

2 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Could have at least a modest ice threat with that system too, but it's not an ideal setup.  First off, no snowcover in the potential ice area to help reinforce low level cold and also, the surface high is not really set up great with not much of an influence extending into the Lakes, which actually results in broad low level southerly flow out ahead.  Could be a nice amount of 33-34 and rain where it's not ice though, lol

:axe:

E4CC20CB-C2A1-4A74-8615-235D4302BC26.png

• Like 1

Just noticed the DVN discussion from this afternoon.  It didn't materialize of course, but pretty cool that tornadoes were reference in today's afd.  Not bad for Dec 27th lol.

This Evening and Tonight

Scattered showers, possibly a few isolated weak thunderstorms, are
expected to work from SW to NE through the forecast mainly after
6 PM. Forecast models and soundings display strong low-level
shear (0-1 km near 30 kts) and surface-based CAPE up to 75 J/kg
in a well mixed boundary, which is pooled along the cold front.

Timing of the convection will be after sunset, and as it arrives,
it should be in a weakening phase. Additionally, it doesn`t
appear surface winds will be backed ahead of the front. Bottom
line is it doesn`t look like the ingredients are all there for
brief spin up tornadoes. Still something to monitor if anything
changes, but the Storm Prediction Center has continued with a
General Thunder outlook for the aforementioned reasons.
  • Like 1

Just noticed the DVN discussion from this afternoon.  It didn't materialize of course, but pretty cool that tornadoes were reference in today's afd.  Not bad for Dec 27th lol.
This Evening and TonightScattered showers, possibly a few isolated weak thunderstorms, areexpected to work from SW to NE through the forecast mainly after6 PM. Forecast models and soundings display strong low-levelshear (0-1 km near 30 kts) and surface-based CAPE up to 75 J/kgin a well mixed boundary, which is pooled along the cold front.Timing of the convection will be after sunset, and as it arrives,it should be in a weakening phase. Additionally, it doesn`tappear surface winds will be backed ahead of the front. Bottomline is it doesn`t look like the ingredients are all there forbrief spin up tornadoes. Still something to monitor if anythingchanges, but the Storm Prediction Center has continued with aGeneral Thunder outlook for the aforementioned reasons.

The lack of any lightning this evening in IL was likely caused by a strong inversion around/just above H7. Freezing levels were low as you'd expect in late December on DVN and ILX soundings at around 6kft but with that inversion, very small MUCAPE and only about 3kft from freezing level to the cap.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Nice little surprise! It was in the mid 50s here in the QC when I went to bed last night around 10:30pm, and I just woke up to some freezing drizzle and a nice dusting of snow on the grass and car tops at 5:30am with WWA in place for today. Looks like maybe a little better chance of some snow showers late morning into early afternoon as a new disturbance arrives from the west. 

love the snow piles in those pics. Nothing more fun than piling snow with a wheel loader to the sky. Best part of winter....

Still to have a true cold snap in our part or snow in the air that can accumulate on asphalt. I thinking someone warmer by the lake took a road trip and unplugged DTX's  snow magnet.

8 minutes ago, Chambana said:

Digging through Champaign’s December total snowfall numbers since 2014 and the results are just downright depressing. 

2014- T

2015- T

2016- 3”

2017- 5.8”

2018- 1.6” 

that is a whopping 10.4” COMBINED over the last FIVE December’s. That is just wrong. 

its been like that here in indy as well. Terrible stretch for sure. Were the cursed area