• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December 2018 General Discussion

snowlover2

Last year we didn't see a flake until Christmas Eve, so we're already ahead of that although it has still been an awful lot of early cold with little precipitation. Last winter it turned brutally cold on Christmas and stayed that way for most of January with hardly any precipitation. We squeezed out a few minor snow events in early February but got most of our totals in March and April, go figure.

At this point I really don't care what winter does, as long as it finds a way to lead into a considerably more active severe/chase season than the last couple.

10 minutes ago, CheeselandSkies said:

Last year we didn't see a flake until Christmas Eve, so we're already ahead of that although it has still been an awful lot of early cold with little precipitation. Last winter it turned brutally cold on Christmas and stayed that way for most of January with hardly any precipitation. We squeezed out a few minor snow events in early February but got most of our totals in March and April, go figure.

At this point I really don't care what winter does, as long as it finds a way to lead into a considerably more active severe/chase season than the last couple.

The blob says no.

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, hlcater said:

It might just be me, but there seem to be quite a few similarities from where we are now to the winter of 14-15. Especially in the Pacific.

I have heard several people cite that Winter. And so far it certainly is following that trend of a very cold November followed by a Winter-free December and then a harsh rest of Winter. December was absolutely the red headed stepchild of an otherwise harsh Winter in 14-15

48 minutes ago, hlcater said:

It might just be me, but there seem to be quite a few similarities from where we are now to the winter of 14-15. Especially in the Pacific.

Well, that wouldn't be SO bad...2015 had Rochelle (THIS time I'll know to be patient with the N. IL WF, lol) and a moderately busy May for the Plains, although a lot of the events featured rain-wrapped tornadoes or underperformed their ceilings (looking at you, May 16) but at least there was a decent sequence of chase-worthy days, followed by (partial) N. IL redemption for me on June 22nd as I did get on a tornadic supercell, but the tornado was wrapped in rain from my vantage point and was nowhere near as spectacular as what had occurred in that area 10 weeks prior.

I keep getting the winter of '14-'15 confused with that of '15-'16...the only thing that really stands out to me about the former is the very cold February. In '15-'16 I remember we got an early season blast of snow in November (more than what we got this year) followed by a thaw right around Thanksgiving leading into a quite mild December (what James Spann called the "El Nino Blowtorch") with the MS/TX violent tornado events around Christmas.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, hlcater said:

We *might* also be dealing with a Nino that won't die.  Of course 2015 was the extreme example of that as that 2014-15 Nino grew into the super Nino for winter 2015-16.

18 hours ago, hlcater said:

Was literally thinking this exact thought a few days ago. Very cold November, followed by a mild December. Although this December is already off to a much better start than 2014. December 2014 we tied for the least snowiest December with just a T recorded. 

Im just tired of the 1-2” snowfalls. I want a good 6-10” storm, it’s been I believe since the winter of 2013-2014 we had such storm. 

This december has been extremely foggy.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

Clearing never made it in here today. Very heavy overcast all day, and it's been very foggy since mid afternoon. Less than 1/4 mile vis atm.

We have been stuck in the haze/mist/fog for almost a week now. I don't think I have gotten much above 6 miles vis since a week ago. Currently 3 miles and going down.

Something of note for Chicago.  Prior to this year, there were 13 Novembers that produced 6"+ snow.  All 13 had at least 3" of snow in the following December.  As of now, ORD sits at 0.3" for December.  If history is any guide, then at least a few more inches should occur by the end of the month, but we shall see.  

Would note a narrow miss of the 6" criteria occurred in 1955, which had 5.9" in November.  December 1955 had 2.1"

• Like 3

Well, better late than never? I finally got the yard cleared of leaves and mowed one last time. Hit 48 today, which is the warmest it's been in quite awhile. There are still some scattered patches of snow in shady spots which I actually mowed over lol. Also still very large piles around that will prob be there till March. Felt kind of weird to be out there mowing after a blizzard hit a few weeks prior. First time for everything.

• Like 4