Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2018 General Discussion & Observations

Zelocita Weather

15 minutes ago, TwcMan said:

We need that EURO back..

Honestly, over the last couple of winters, the Euro has lost a lot of its luster. Flip flops and busts a lot more than I can ever remember. The Para GFS has definitely not been the best either, the guys in the NE forum just pointed this out as well

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Tatamy said:

How about Groundhog Day in 1976?  Do you remember that.  That was on a school day.  Woke up to blinding heavy snow, wind gusts estimated to 40 to 60 mph (estimated as my wind instruments were frozen solid) continuous thunder and lightning, and my barometer dropping past 28.60”.  No one ever talks about that one and it was not forecasted either.  Low pressure unexpectedly bombed on an arctic front.  

I only picked up 2” with that storm. But the winds were more memorable. That storm produced the lowest blow out tides on record around the area. It must have looked like the Bay of Fundy at low tide with all the boast resting on the sand.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, uncle W said:

that evening when the snow was falling I was watching Alan Kasper and he was concerned the snow rain line was moving south so he upped his totals to 8" when everyone else was 3" over to rain...it ended up 14" ending as a mix...my best busts are March 3rd 1960 and February 9th 1969...

I would also add the Dec 11-12 1960 storm as a positive bust as the forecast was 3 to 5 inches and the total for CPK was 15.2 and I had about 20 inches in Brooklyn .

Vic V

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Zelocita Weather said:

I hear the EURO is intriguing....from what New England and M/A looks like a 2-4” type deal

12Z Euro shows nada for 12/30 or 1/1, but is showing a general 4-8" snowfall on 1/3, about 8 days away.  Would be nice to see anything close to that verify, although no other models support that right now (at least not the 2 GFS's or the CMC).  

2 minutes ago, NEG NAO said:

good luck having that 1/3 4 -8 showing up again on the 0Z EURO - most models have been very inconsistent past day 3

Much is going on that is leading to enhanced uncertainty:

1. An SSW is in its early stages of developing

2. An exceptionally high-amplitude MJO is progressing through Phase 5. It could move into Phase 6 in coming days.

3. The SOI has just gone negative

A lack of run-to-run continuity and disagreement among the guidance can be especially elevated ahead of significant to major pattern changes.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, RU848789 said:

12Z Euro shows nada for 12/30 or 1/1, but is showing a general 4-8" snowfall on 1/3, about 8 days away.  Would be nice to see anything close to that verify, although no other models support that right now (at least not the 2 GFS's or the CMC).  

It could be that we're only looking at one event during the first week of January. The Euro might simply be keying on the 1/3 low while the GFS is trying to hone in on New Years Eve.

3 minutes ago, NutleyBlizzard said:

It could be that we're only looking at one event during the first week of January. The Euro might simply be keying on the 1/3 low while the GFS is trying to hone in on New Years Eve.

New Year’s Eve looks remote to me at this time.  There isn’t a whole lot of room there to get that thing more amped without also poisoning the air mass in place.  It’s likely that if that comes far enough up its rain anyway 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

FYI, numerous NOAA webpages, including re-analysis pages, are temporarily offline due to the ongoing partial federal government shutdown.

The following webpage comes up when one tries to access a number (but not all) of those pages: https://governmentshutdown.noaa.gov/

Could explain the MJO going nuts....:)

• Confused 1

53 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

New Year’s Eve looks remote to me at this time.  There isn’t a whole lot of room there to get that thing more amped without also poisoning the air mass in place.  It’s likely that if that comes far enough up its rain anyway 

^This. It’s very remote. The 12/30-1/3 time frame is still really bad for snow here. People need to be patient

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 495weatherguy said:

A serious question-if we are going to enter an active, wintry period, say Jan 15-March 1, what are the odds of 40 plus inches of snow during that time frame?

I'd say around 35%. It's more likely that we could get 30" of snowfall during that time period. Although I wouldn't be too sure about that either. At least not yet. We need to see if the high amplitude MJO Phase 7 verifies first. 

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, IntenseBlizzard2014 said:

I'd say around 35%. It's more likely that we could get 30" of snowfall during that time period. Although I wouldn't be too sure about that either. At least not yet. We need to see if the high amplitude MJO Phase 7 verifies first. 

What would the odds be of a total bust?  I’m just asking, I’ve seen it countless times before where we were going to get a huge storm, And we wind up with nothing.   

45 minutes ago, 495weatherguy said:

What would the odds be of a total bust?  I’m just asking, I’ve seen it countless times before where we were going to get a huge storm, And we wind up with nothing.   

Probably 25% with increasing chances every week that goes by with anything on the table. 

The fact that we had zero snowfall in December is a definite red flag, I don't care how good November was. 

2 hours ago, 495weatherguy said:

A serious question-if we are going to enter an active, wintry period, say Jan 15-March 1, what are the odds of 40 plus inches of snow during that time frame?

Over 40 inches of snow in the metro between 1/15-3/1? You’re talking historic. Can a few real big storms and a couple of small events in between get you there? Sure. Would I predict such a pattern? Nope 

10 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

Over 40 inches of snow in the metro between 1/15-3/1? You’re talking historic. Can a few real big storms and a couple small events in between get you there? Sure. Would I predict such a pattern? Nope 

NYC has only seen 40" or more one time in the January 15-March 1 timeframe. During January 15, 2014-March 1, 2014 total snowfall was 42.3".

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

NYC has only seen 40" or more one time in the January 15-March 1 timeframe. During January 15, 2014-March 1, 2014 total snowfall was 42.3".

Thank you Don. I didn’t look up the actual data but I knew such a scenario was not only unlikely but an extremely rare feat. Even if extended 3 more weeks to 3/21, an extreme rarity still I’m sure 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

Thank you Don. I didn’t look up the actual data but I knew such a scenario was not only unlikely but an extremely rare feat. Even if extended 3 more weeks to 3/21, an extreme rarity still I’m sure 

Last winter Suffolk County had 3 legit 12"+ blizzards, and many spots were over 70" of snow. I am not sure how that stacks up in history, but the point is anything can happen. 40" in 6 weeks, i dont see why not. Islip recorded 5" in one hour, and 9"of snow in 2 hours last year. With those numbers, anything is possible.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, psv88 said:

Last winter Suffolk County had 3 legit 12"+ blizzards, and many spots were over 70" of snow. I am not sure how that stacks up in history, but the point is anything can happen. 40" in 6 weeks, i dont see why not. Islip recorded 5" in one hour, and 9"of snow in 2 hours last year. With those numbers, anything is possible.

Agreed. 12-24"+ storms seem commonplace now.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 495weatherguy said:

Thank you for the responses.  I appreciate it.  40 inches in 6 weeks is a lot, I didn’t realize historic.    IMHO, if we reach 30 inches this winter, that would be a feat 

We average about 25” in JFM, so add what fell in November to that and I think it’s still reasonable to think we get to 30”.  And given the extremes of the 2000’s, really anything is still on the table.   We could register 30” in March.  

1 hour ago, psv88 said:

8 minutes ago, Snowshack said:

We average about 25” in JFM, so add what fell in November to that and I think it’s still reasonable to think we get to 30”.  And given the extremes of the 2000’s, really anything is still on the table.   We could register 30” in March.  

Excellent points.   Guess we will find out soon!