Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2018 General Discussion & Observations

Zelocita Weather

4 hours ago, Cfa said:

NYC has only had a single white Christmas in my lifetime (90’s baby), it simply isn’t a reasonable expectation, in my humble opinion. Snow before the New Year should be viewed as an appetizer, January-March is the meal.

that is not accurate at all what about the  2010 day after christmas blizzard or the dec 1947 blizzard.. there has been plenty of big snows in nyc in the month of december....

Next 8 days averaging 41degs., or 6degs. AN.

Month to date is. +0.8[39.6].    Should be  +2.2[39.9] by the 31st.

EURO is 5" of Snow for the next 10 days.   This seems odd since the EPS has AN 850mb T's all the way.   GEFS is 50/50 on at least 5" of Snow by Jan.09.

3 hours ago, nycwinter said:

that is not accurate at all what about the  2010 day after christmas blizzard or the dec 1947 blizzard.. there has been plenty of big snows in nyc in the month of december....

Those are rare exceptions though.  In our area, any significant snow in December should not be expected.

8 hours ago, Cfa said:

NYC has only had a single white Christmas in my lifetime (90’s baby), it simply isn’t a reasonable expectation, in my humble opinion. Snow before the New Year should be viewed as an appetizer, January-March is the meal. 

well in nyc since 1990 their have been 6 times of 6 or more inch snowfall in december...long island use to be not as snowy as the city back then but the last 10 years it is more snowy...now...checking long island in general their have been more than just 1 big snows in december since 2000

Pretty sure Dec 95 was had a white xmas

in NYC.

Had 8 inches or snow on around the 22nd.

Sometime around 2000 we had a rain to snow event that clobbered NYC on xmas day.

Last xmas, many of us a few miles north of city had a white xmas.

Just throwing that out there.

What has disappeared is the cold air around xmas week. But that is more recent then the 90s

5 minutes ago, Snow88 said:

Inland areas have a shot of a dusting to an inch tonight.

The city should see a mix of rain and snow showers but no accumulations.

Any snow on Xmas Eve , even if it is just flurries is great . If we manage to get anything turn white or accumulate thats a walkoff homerun ---> Merry Christmas all

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NEG NAO said:

Doesn't get into phase 8 till second week of January - Euro still warm at 240 with 850's widespread above normal

ecmwf_T850a_nhem_11.png

Which would line up with the Weeklies (following its own MJO pattern of course)

With Don and Isotherm sticking to their guns, I have confidence that some point in January we will get into a good pattern and the sub forum will end up with above average snowfall.

Thanks to the Nov. Event we had a head start to cover the ground we lost in December in the snowfall department.

27 minutes ago, EastonSN+ said:

Which would line up with the Weeklies (following its own MJO pattern of course)

With Don and Isotherm sticking to their guns, I have confidence that some point in January we will get into a good pattern and the sub forum will end up with above average snowfall.

Thanks to the Nov. Event we had a head start to cover the ground we lost in December in the snowfall department.

2 things:

1. The EPS at 216 and 240 has a much better look than the OP Euro. After an average week and a one day warm storm, the pattern looks ripe for improvement as we head into January with the +PNA/-NAO and improving MJO.

2. Last winter we had to wait until March for a good pattern (excluding the first 2 weeks of January). I think everyone in hear living near NYC would take a crap pattern in December while the ocean is slowly cooling and a better Jan/Feb pattern where the ocean will screw you much less.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nycwinter said:

well in nyc since 1990 their have been 6 times of 6 or more inch snowfall in december...long island use to be not as snowy as the city back then but the last 10 years it is more snowy...now...checking long island in general their have been more than just 1 big snows in december since 2000

6 inches can fall on December 1st and be gone by December 2nd, that doesn’t count as a white Christmas, although I realize that expecting snow to fall on particular calendar days is ridiculous, it doesn’t negate the fact that December generally isn’t as friendly to snow lovers as January, February, and even March.

My comment had more to do with some members getting antsy about the absence of snow + the post card version of NYC around the holidays that suggest it’s *supposed* to be snowy, when in reality 50+ degrees is significantly more likely than snow on 12/24 & 12/25. The 2010’s have been the gift that keeps on giving (weather-wise), so I fully expect this winter to drag on for eons like almost all of the others in this era (I hope I’m wrong).

5 minutes ago, mikem81 said:

2 things:

1. The EPS at 216 and 240 has a much better look than the OP Euro. After an average week and a one day warm storm, the pattern looks ripe for improvement as we head into January with the +PNA/-NAO and improving MJO.

2. Last winter we had to wait until March for a good pattern (excluding the first 2 weeks of January). I think everyone in hear living near NYC would take a crap pattern in December while the ocean is slowly cooling and a better Jan/Feb pattern where the ocean will screw you much less.

Agreed,

Last December had above average snowfall for most as well. Usually we have either March or December, last year we had both but sacrificed February. 

25 minutes ago, North and West said:

I wish there was an option to love this comment. I was thinking yesterday with the solstice observed, when can we begin weaving in sun angle mentions?

Well the sun angle was relevant when we got all those storms in March, but that's because a higher sun angle yields rising averages. 

It has little effect in February though. 

36 minutes ago, ny10019 said:

from what I'm reading, we can knock the NYE snowstorm off the table?

the 12Z models that have run so far are not showing it - we will remain in this pattern until further notice - Strat warming event will peak mid week takes about 2 - 3 weeks to see the results at the surface and the MJO is still in 5 and won't be in a favorable phase 8 -3 until second week of January at least

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, NEG NAO said:

the 12Z models that have run so far are not showing it - we will remain in this pattern until further notice - Strat warming event will peak mid week takes about 2 - 3 weeks to see the results at the surface and the MJO is still in 5 and won't be in a favorable phase 8 -3 until second week of January at least

we'll get there but it will be a slow slog through the mud...December will end up being a warm month, +1 to +2 with little to possibly no snow....

I am not sure how anyone can definitively say what will happen with over a week to go ?  I am not saying we WILL have snow but IF this is remotely accurate and as close as the GFS shows I would not dismiss the possibility / YET----but thats me .    https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/?model=gfs&region=us&pkg=mslp_pcpn_frzn&runtime=2018122312&fh=192  

32 minutes ago, IntenseBlizzard2014 said:

The fact that December is ending above average already proves that the La Niña-esque weather pattern is coming to an end. So yeah, bring on the mild end of December.

We are getting the classic mild December El Niño ridge over North America. But the continuing +SOI is associated with an extension of  the La Niña ridge north of Hawaii. So the jet configuration is different across the North Pacific than is typically the case in an El Niño December. Stronger jet max further to the north.

• Like 1