Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December 2018 General Discussion & Observations

Zelocita Weather

21 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

Raleigh is going to see at least 5-7”, more if it doesn’t mix.

They’re learning like we do every storm about the advancing mid level warm surge close in. I think someone gets jipped pretty bad in the Raleigh over to Charlotte corridor from a lot of sleet. Of course, if the snow comes in crazy it may not matter and could hold off the warm air for a while. Really tough forecast for the corridor where most in NC live. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

I vividly remember that- I wonder what went wrong?  The prediction of 6-8 inches of snow was being given by Craig Allen right up to when the storm started, as snow, and then there was a flash of lightning and it changed to rain!

The other big bust from that era had occurred the previous winter- 6-8 inches was predicted and we got 6-8 inches of virga in February 1989.  It looked like it was going to snow all day and nothing fell.

It was so frustrating too because this was before internet and weather channel so I had no idea what went wrong just that it was snowing one minute then pouring rain, and I kept hoping it would change back but never did. I believe the low formed closer to the coast and caused the winds to turn to the E/SE instead of from the NE but I also have no idea who got snow and didn't. I do remember visiting family for Christmas down by philly and they had several inches of snow on the ground

• Like 1

does anyone remember the cutters we got in December 2000 and 2010...there were two in 2000...12/14 and 12/17...temps maxed out at 50 and 62 respectively...12/12/2010 got one and temps maxed out at 56...heavy rain both years...cutters sometimes come first.

Yes on 2000. I don’t remember the 2010 one as well, 2000 definitely. I vividly remember Sam Champion or Leigh Goldberg mentioning that they set the stage for the cold and snow of December 30, 2000.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Stormlover74 said:

It was so frustrating too because this was before internet and weather channel so I had no idea what went wrong just that it was snowing one minute then pouring rain, and I kept hoping it would change back but never did. I believe the low formed closer to the coast and caused the winds to turn to the E/SE instead of from the NE but I also have no idea who got snow and didn't. I do remember visiting family for Christmas down by philly and they had several inches of snow on the ground

Millennials have no idea the struggle this hobby was before the internet and all of this easy access to pretty much everything :lol:

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

Millennials have no idea the struggle this hobby was before the internet and all of this easy access to pretty much everything :lol:

We didn't even have access to radar lol. It was basically the local NWS forecast scrolling along the bottom of the cable access channel and then local news/AM radio stations

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

The struggle was real. 

Very true. It was a struggle to get actual snowstorms and weather information. Before the Weather Channel days, it was only NOAA weather radio and TV/radio forecasts. Since the models were so bad before the Euro took off in the 90's, the forecasts often changed at a moments notice. The younger generation today wouldn't have liked the 1970 to 1990 period very much. There were just 12 NYC snowstorms of 6" or more . While there have been 12 in NYC from 2014 to 2018 so far. So missing out on a storm in this era isn't like missing one back then. In those days, the lack of 6" or greater events sometimes extended years.

https://www.weather.gov/media/okx/Climate/CentralPark/sixplussnow.pdf

• Like 3

1 minute ago, bluewave said:

Very true. It was a struggle to get actual snowstorms and weather information. Before the Weather Channel days, it was only NOAA weather radio and TV/radio forecasts. Since the models were so bad before the Euro took off in the 90's, the forecasts often changed at a moments notice. The younger generation today wouldn't have liked the 1970 to 1990 period very much. There were just 12 NYC snowstorms of 6" or more in that period. While there have been 12 in NYC from 2014 to 2018 so far. So missing out on a storm in this era isn't like missing one back then. In those days the lack of 6" or greater events sometimes stretched into years.

that is a remarkable stat regarding 6" snow storms--it affirms what I already suspected

Just now, 495weatherguy said:

that is a remarkable stat regarding 6" snow storms--it affirms what I already suspected

It really is. Just 5 years to get the same number of 6"+ snowstorms as we we got in 21 years. That's why posters shouldn't take missing a snowstorm so hard now. There is always another just around the corner.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Very true. It was a struggle to get actual snowstorms and weather information. Before the Weather Channel days, it was only NOAA weather radio and TV/radio forecasts. Since the models were so bad before the Euro took off in the 90's, the forecasts often changed at a moments notice. The younger generation today wouldn't have liked the 1970 to 1990 period very much. There were just 12 NYC snowstorms of 6" or more . While there have been 12 in NYC from 2014 to 2018 so far. So missing out on a storm in this era isn't like missing one back then. In those days the lack of 6" or greater events sometimes stretched into years.

in January 1962 I awoke to a heavy snow forecast on the radio...I looked out the window and the Sun was shinning...the morning of March 3rd 1960 the forecast was for snow changing to rain with moderating temperatures into the mid 30's...just the opposite happened as snow got heavier and temperatures dropped into the mid 20's...

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Very true. It was a struggle to get actual snowstorms and weather information. Before the Weather Channel days, it was only NOAA weather radio and TV/radio forecasts. Since the models were so bad before the Euro took off in the 90's, the forecasts often changed at a moments notice. The younger generation today wouldn't have liked the 1970 to 1990 period very much. There were just 12 NYC snowstorms of 6" or more . While there have been 12 in NYC from 2014 to 2018 so far. So missing out on a storm in this era isn't like missing one back then. In those days, the lack of 6" or greater events sometimes extended years.

aaannndddd their heads just exploded LOL

• Like 1

Just now, bluewave said:

It really is. Just 5 years to get the same number of 6"+ snowstorms as we we got in 21 years. That's why posters shouldn't take missing a snowstorm so hard now. There is always another just around the corner.

Growing up on LI during this time frame--snow was hard to come--and when it did-- it seemed to fall during school breaks or the weekends.  I also recall being told that's what happens when you live somewhere surrounded by water.  Too many variable for a good snow climate here---my how conditions have changed

6 minutes ago, IntenseBlizzard2014 said:

Millennials were born as early as 1982.

Correct and I should’ve included whatever the next generation is/will be called. For myself I got into the internet weather chats groups in 1997 which was a big step compared to the dark ages. So those early Millennials were 15, I wonder the age of our youngest poster is on here, think it’s younger than 15?  I have no idea. 

• Like 1

the number of winters that had at least four snowstorms 4" or more have gone up...the 1890's and 2010's had five years total...2017-18 had five...from the 1940's to thru 1980's there was only one winter per decade...

number of times by decade...
1890's...5
1900's...3
1910's...2
1920's...1
1930's...2
1940's...1
1950's...1
1960's...1
1970's...1
1980's...1
1990's...2
2000's...3
2010's...5

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, uncle W said:

in January 1962 I awoke to a heavy snow forecast on the radio...I looked out the window and the Sun was shinning...the morning of March 3rd 1960 the forecast was for snow changing to rain with moderating temperatures into the mid 30's...just the opposite happened as snow got heavier and temperatures dropped into the mid 20's...

The only 2 positive busts that I can remember from the 70's and 80's were 1-20-78 and 1-23-87. NOAA weather radio had rain heavy at times for the 78 event and we got a surprise 12-18.  The 87 storm forecast was for snow quickly changing to rain. Instead we picked up nearly 10" of thundersnow in Nassau.

37 minutes ago, 495weatherguy said:

Growing up on LI during this time frame--snow was hard to come--and when it did-- it seemed to fall during school breaks or the weekends.  I also recall being told that's what happens when you live somewhere surrounded by water.  Too many variable for a good snow climate here---my how conditions have changed

To bad the old Suffolk ski runs couldn't hold out until this era.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bluewave said:

Yes but for how long. I can't imagine this continuing for that much longer. 

1 hour ago, rclab said:

I remember having to depend on WE6-1212 for temperature updates and praying that the frozen would stay that way. Of course there was always the street lamp on the pole on 75th st. near 11th Ave. Unc might remember that.

162.55 MHZ lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Dan76 said:

162.55 MHZ lol

Good thing we have the internet.

.EQUIPMENT...
NYC Central Park winds are out of service until further notice.
Loss of data is due to a severed cable. Parts are on order.

NYC NOAA Weather Radio Station KWO35 (162.55 MHz) will remain off
the air for an extended period of time.

&&
  • Like 1

I know it’s banter (forgive me; our weather is quiet) but with Christmas just around the corner, I remember when I was 10 in 1992 (elder millennial... I have kids and own a home and live in the suburbs... so not a stereotypical one) and got the NOAA Weather Radio for Christmas from Radio Shack.

It was awesome. I finally got to supplement the 5-day business planner that I could only catch once a days.

• Like 4