Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
December 2018 General Discussion & Observations

Zelocita Weather

21 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

It was 15 inches here but the main problem I had with it was that it occurred mostly late at night, the previous day we were waiting for the snow to get here and it was delayed and started late at night and by the time I woke up it was already gone.  Parts of Suffolk County got close to 30 inches so about double what we got, then again the City got about 8 inches, which was half of what we got lol.

Had 18" here.  Awesome rates for a few hours in the evening.  Then one mega band over central Suffolk overnight.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, 495weatherguy said:

As a kid listening to 1010 wins for the best weather info(pre cable)I was taught that storms were ALWAYS better(more snow)north and west of LI.  Tappan Zee bridge or 287 was always the dividing line. 

4 inches was a significant amount of snow back then, 8 inches paralyzing

Agree. Growing up in the 80s in Rego Park, Queens, usually our biggest snowfall for the entire winter was a 6 incher. It would be an above average year to get an 8 inch snowstorm. I moved to Long Island in 2001, and since the move, I’m amazed at how many 12+ snowfalls we get. I’m saying to myself where was all this snow when I was a kid, lol. 

I have never had even 1 snow day while attending NYC public schools. I was too young for the Blizzard of ‘78, and the blizzard of ‘83 started on a Friday afternoon; by the time Monday rolled around, NYC schools were open. 

Nowadays, I expect and least 1, 12 inch or more storm per year.  It’s like revenge of the weenies these days. 

Jason

• Like 1

20 hours ago, ForestHillWx said:

There's something special about our southern friends getting multiple years worth of snow in one shot, that I find impressive. 

Sadly, they are ill prepared for 1/10th of what is projected to fall. Hopefully it warms up quickly for them. 

Most of the snow is going to occur in the mountains though, those regions are well-acquainted with snow (like Boone and Asheville).  Coastal regions will get nothing.

20 hours ago, bluewave said:

This MJO 3-5 passage looks like it will be impressive for all of North America. It's the strongest +EPO pattern since at least last summer and will  produce with our mid-December thaw pattern here. 

ecmwf-ens_T850aMean_namer_6.thumb.png.1eadcc69dfefeab7659d651aafb28b5c.png

IMG_0368.PNG.188bbe39098173e2905432d4199fd2e5.PNG

IMG_0369.PNG.442c9b6e79c947dc6d87a2ffeb61acd9.PNG

Question is how long will the thaw last before we get back to a cold and stormy (rather than dry) pattern.

16 hours ago, Stormlover74 said:

The 12/15/89 storm screwed us as well. Temps in the 20s and 4 -8" expected and turned into a driving rainstorm at the coast followed by bitter arctic air for 2 weeks but just occasional snow showers to briefly whiten the ground

I vividly remember that- I wonder what went wrong?  The prediction of 6-8 inches of snow was being given by Craig Allen right up to when the storm started, as snow, and then there was a flash of lightning and it changed to rain!

The other big bust from that era had occurred the previous winter- 6-8 inches was predicted and we got 6-8 inches of virga in February 1989.  It looked like it was going to snow all day and nothing fell.

14 hours ago, mikem81 said:

Looks like a typical dry and cold and then wet and warm followed by dry and cold pattern...

This happened almost every year in the 80s outside of the extreme outliers like April 1982 or February 1983.

I remember TV Mets at the time explained it as the NYC metro being in an unfavorable area for snowfall.  We're too tucked in to benefit from Miller B's, too far north to benefit from when Arctic air comes down and suppresses the storm track and too far south for clippers lol.  So basically at the time they said NYC was in between the predominant storm tracks and that was why back then both DC and Boston were getting more snow than us lol.

14 hours ago, North and West said:

Eh, not that I have any science behind it (I don't), but we do tend to search for the negative reinforcements. I was just mentioning the other day, we'd be fretting if this was like 2015, with lots of warmth, and scant indication of a big January storm.

anyway, history can rhyme, but it doesn't always repeat itself.

Only real thing to fret about right now is all the money being spent on heating fuel and not getting the benefit of snow to ease the pain lol.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Gravity Wave said:

December has been a dead month for big storms for a while. As long as the El Nino pattern sets up by the end of the month we'll have our chances.

Even our big winters with a couple of exceptions like 1995-96 and 2002-03 seem to be mostly concentrated in January-February.

4 hours ago, Rjay said:

Had 18" here.  Awesome rates for a few hours in the evening.  Then one mega band over central Suffolk overnight.

It was a great start to the season, and probably the second best December snowstorm we've had (#1 was Boxing Day of course.)  I just really love day time snowstorms lol.

1 hour ago, Jason215 said:

Agree. Growing up in the 80s in Rego Park, Queens, usually our biggest snowfall for the entire winter was a 6 incher. It would be an above average year to get an 8 inch snowstorm. I moved to Long Island in 2001, and since the move, I’m amazed at how many 12+ snowfalls we get. I’m saying to myself where was all this snow when I was a kid, lol. 

I have never had even 1 snow day while attending NYC public schools. I was too young for the Blizzard of ‘78, and the blizzard of ‘83 started on a Friday afternoon; by the time Monday rolled around, NYC schools were open. 

Nowadays, I expect and least 1, 12 inch or more storm per year.  It’s like revenge of the weenies these days. 

Jason

Yes.  Very true. Revenge winters

1 minute ago, bluewave said:

Today will be the first time NYC went 6 days without a T of precip since the end of August. So enjoy the dry weather for your holiday shopping.

Pretty incredible.  We've had a very wet Fall this year.  This dry stretch is definitely welcomed by me.

33 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

Go on, complain that it's not raining :facepalm:

Cold and dry are great hiking conditions. Love to take a walk in the woods and not get mud all over. Gotta try to enjoy the weather we have. It's also great weather for fishing, salt or fresh. I don't hunt, but I'm told it's good for that too. Of course I enjoy the big snows as well.

• Like 2