Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
December 2018 General Discussion & Observations

Zelocita Weather

2 hours ago, CIK62 said:

Next 8 days averaging 37degs., or about 1deg. BN.

Just a 35% chance of at least 2" of Snow during the next 15 days----GEFS.    EPS has had empty 10-day periods for 3 days now.

Something should pop up by the 24th or so. The transition to more El Niño weather will create some interesting weather for the East Coast.

10 minutes ago, redbanknjandbigbasslakepa said:

So much for any December warmup. Aside from any short lived warm punches ahead of a cutter it looks like we generally stay below normal with at least the chance of something frozen from now through the holiday week.  

The lack of precipitation reminds me of the winters of my elementary school years, which were 1987-1993. Good times for winter. (I lied)

I remember being over the moon getting an entire foot of snow in March 1993 towards the end of fifth grade. It was our first snow day in years. Now my kids have already had one this year. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

9 minutes ago, North and West said:

The lack of precipitation reminds me of the winters of my elementary school years, which were 1987-1993. Good times for winter. (I lied)

I remember being over the moon getting an entire foot of snow in March 1993 towards the end of fifth grade. It was our first snow day in years. Now my kids have already had one this year. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I am a bit older than you, and I don’t think I had more than 2 snow days on LI while going to school.   We did have some storms of greater than one foot, but they seemingly always occurred on a vacation.  My kids think snow days are a given due to the propensity for big storms now

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, 495weatherguy said:

I am a bit older than you, and I don’t think I had more than 2 snow days on LI while going to school.   We did have some storms of greater than one foot, but they seemingly always occurred on a vacation.  My kids think snow days are a given due to the propensity for big storms now

Bingo. My older son kinda "mehs" at what I consider a moderate storm, such as this past November 15th. He asks when we can expect another January 2016 or March 2018 event, as if they're a dime a dozen.

• Like 1

Just now, North and West said:

Bingo. My older son kinda "mehs" at what I consider a moderate storm, such as this past November 15th. He asks when we can expect another January 2016 or March 2018 event, as if they're a dime a dozen.

As a kid listening to 1010 wins for the best weather info(pre cable)I was taught that storms were ALWAYS better(more snow)north and west of LI.  Tappan Zee bridge or 287 was always the dividing line. 

4 inches was a significant amount of snow back then, 8 inches paralyzing

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, doncat said:

Some mention Dec 1989...That month was amazingly  cold, dry and relatively snowless...My station had a 24.8° mean temp with only 1.2" of snow and 0.89" of precip.

I don't have the stats to back this up, but I recall the cold weather beginning in October of that year and continuing through December, but relatively snowless

52 minutes ago, doncat said:

Some mention Dec 1989...That month was amazingly  cold, dry and relatively snowless...My station had a 24.8° mean temp with only 1.2" of snow and 0.89" of precip.

That's probably one analog that we won't have to worry about anytime soon. No December since then has come close to a -10.3 departure in NYC. The coldest NYC has been able to do during the 2010's has been a -4.7 in 2010. Even with the very cold ending to last December, NYC still  finished at only -2.5.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jfklganyc said:

1989...early November snow...meh rest of winter. 

Like every winter that had an early November major snowfall. A couple had 1 big storm...but most were below normal in snowfall.

Fighting history this year. 

In winters where NYC gets 3" or more in November NYC goes on to average something like 36".

48 minutes ago, bluewave said:

That's probably one analog that we won't have to worry about anytime soon. No December since then has come close to a -10.3 departure in NYC. The coldest NYC has been able to do during the 2010's has been a -4.7 in 2010. Even with the very cold ending to last December, NYC still  finished at only -2.5.

This December may actually end up at or AN so I'm not sure where people are pulling the 89 analog from. 

This month won't be remotely similar.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, 495weatherguy said:

I don't have the stats to back this up, but I recall the cold weather beginning in October of that year and continuing through December, but relatively snowless

Yeah Nov was below normal also, with only that Thanksgiving snowstorm for the period. Also this day 1998 was 76 degrees here, my highest Dec temp.

• Like 1

Not when snow occurs early in November.

There is a historic sharp line in the third week.

If major snow falls before that, the winter after has been relatively light on snow. There are a couple of exceptions...and they all involve one big storm. 

Again, there is no science behind it. Just historical precedent. 

Someone mentioned a lack of 6 inch plus November and Decembers...it goes beyond that.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jfklganyc said:

If major snow falls before that, the winter after has been relatively light on snow. There are a couple of exceptions...and they all involve one big storm. 

Someone mentioned a lack of 6 inch plus November and Decembers...it goes beyond that.

Along the same lines, winters have been so snowy for the last 20 years, at some point a return to the mean is due 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, jfklganyc said:

Eh, not that I have any science behind it (I don't), but we do tend to search for the negative reinforcements. I was just mentioning the other day, we'd be fretting if this was like 2015, with lots of warmth, and scant indication of a big January storm.

anyway, history can rhyme, but it doesn't always repeat itself.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, jfklganyc said:

This was the first time on record that NYC had a 6"or greater snowstorm by November 15th. Other locations around the NY Metro had one after Sandy in 2012. So 2 events are just too small a sample to draw any conclusions one way or another.  The best we can say right now is that the November record storm was a reflection of the pattern at the time. 

Much of what has been happening during the 2010's is without historical precedent. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

The big cut off low modeled for the end of next week is exciting.

What's not to love about PWAT's that are 3-4 STD above normal in mid December?

As modeled this would be a ton of rain and wind, similar to what we saw in March 2010 if the ULL deepens enough.

fv3p_mslp_pwata_us_31.png

Yeah um that’s going to destroy an epic start to the ski season

• Like 2
  • Sad 1