Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December 2018 General Discussion & Observations

Zelocita Weather

2 minutes ago, Snow88 said:

I disagree

There are a few members who are more northwest than the op and the mean had a nw lean to it.

Now we are back to a week to follow this storm. We are no where done here.

I added the caveat that there is still latitude for changes. But, at least from the 500 mb pattern, the window is beginning to shrink. The GGEM's move toward the broader model consensus at 500 mb may be a signal of that shrinking opportunity. We'll see what the 0z runs show.

2 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

For whatever reason during El Niño winters there tends to be less variation in model solutions inside 7 days.  I’ve never completely understood why 

Very interesting.  I'll have to remember this for future tracking this winter.

For whatever reason it seems that in recent memory there have been numerous occasions where longer range modeling has a low escaping south and east, starts to show a second double barrel type situation with a second low closer the coast and slowly evolves as the event moves closer to one more consolidated low closer into the coast. We’ve seen the modeled southern slider, we are now seeing some guidance show the second double  barrel scraping the coast on the tail end, will we move to one consolidated low further NW in the coming days? May not seem likely, but how many times have we said that and that the S and E guidance was very consistent 5 or 6 days out only to eventually tuck it in closer within 72 hours? 

4 hours ago, mikem81 said:

GFS para is a coastal scraper. Wonder if models are chasing convection and taking the SLP too far east. It has happened in the past with storms that surprised in the last few days and came well NW of initial modeling

You're not getting height rises out ahead of the system with the NW flow over New England.   This is not a chasing the convection type of situation.  Our best hope is that the models are overdoing the confluence.

• Like 1

This one is cooked. Have stayed away from the models the last few days to see if anything has changed rather than analyzing each run to run difference but the reality is that not much has changed. The Northern stream continues to squash heights off the East coast and you end up with a positively tilted trough with a system that heads offshore well South of the area. 

If models were somehow too strong with that Northern piece or if that really sped up somehow then heights might have time to trend higher over the next few days (not impossible, but unlikely). Of course with the more amplified system and lack of blocking you're going to get flooded with warm air on the Southwest flow. 

gfs_z500_vort_eus_24.png

8 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

This one is cooked. Have stayed away from the models the last few days to see if anything has changed rather than analyzing each run to run difference but the reality is that not much has changed. The Northern stream continues to squash heights off the East coast and you end up with a positively tilted trough with a system that heads offshore well South of the area. 

If models were somehow too strong with that Northern piece or if that really sped up somehow then heights might have time to trend higher over the next few days (not impossible, but unlikely). Of course with the more amplified system and lack of blocking you're going to get flooded with warm air on the Southwest flow. 

gfs_z500_vort_eus_24.png

Agreed. This isn't coming north. 

Not to jump on this even more, but unless the confluence over New England and dry flow from the northern stream eases, I'm not interested in this north of the M/D line and maybe not even DC. That push of confluence in the northern stream when the storm is developing is horribly timed for an impact up here. It'll just string the storm out and force it east.

A wise man once said the models are " tools" and what they showed yesterday or today especially with 6 or 7 days to go means zilch especially when the " tools " are not consistent. If the models are showing the same setup as they are right now come Saturday or Sunday I would lean on them more. With a week to go this is far from dead in the water lets see how it plays out. I mean what if the timing is off or the trough digs deeper ? Lots of what ifs left = There is much of this science that I still do not understand but I do understand with a week to go this is far from a done deal as I am positive that what the models are showing right now is NOT what is going to take place next Monday.

1 hour ago, NycStormChaser said:

Agreed. This isn't coming north. 

2 hours ago, NJwx85 said:

gfs_z500_vort_eus_24.png

People seriously giving up a week out?

Jeez

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, uncle W said:

I met my wife in 1983 and our first date was in late August...There was a thunder storm that set a record rainfall for the date...In July Diana Ross got drenched in Central Park during a heavy thunder storm...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXWDwVY-270

that was one of our hottest summers on record also, crazy to have it that hot and that wet

8 hours ago, bluewave said:

The highest total that I could find for the 5 boroughs Of NYC in 1983 was 65.00 at AVE V in Brooklyn.

https://xmacis.rcc-acis.org/

Time Series Summary for NEW YORK AVE V BROOKLYN, NY - Jan through Dec

1 1983 65.00 0

With rainfall we always seem to have a lot of variability.  I think Westchester was up in the mid 70s range, where was Newark at?  

JFK has never had a year with more than 60" of rain.

9 hours ago, donsutherland1 said:

I was thinking mid-70s. The NCDC has access to a lot of additional data and the ability to examine the suspect rain gauge. In the end, it appears that the final 1983 figure was retained.

Don, I think also psychologically, 80" just seems like a much larger figure than 72" even though there's only a 10% difference.

Either way, I would be willing to bet that in our new climate regime we will surpass 80" of annual rainfall sometime within the next 20-30 years or so.  I'd give it to 2050 at the latest.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

With rainfall we always seem to have a lot of variability.  I think Westchester was up in the mid 70s range, where was Newark at?  

JFK has never had a year with more than 60" of rain.

It looks like the 59-65" range was typical around NYC in 1983.

EWR...65.50"

LGA....60.84"

JFK.....59.12"

3 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

Based on that 2011 should be slightly more, thanks Chris, what were the numbers for the surrounding stations in 2011?

2011 was #1 at LGA and EWR. It could also be the actual wettest in  NYC with the 1983 number in doubt.

EWR...#1...69.91

LGA....#1...65.34

NYC...........72.81

28 minutes ago, bluewave said:

2011 was #1 at LGA and EWR. It could also be the actual wettest in  NYC with the 1983 number in doubt.

EWR...#1...69.91

LGA....#1...65.34

NYC...........72.81

I had 73.55" in 2011...In one 30 day period from approx 8/5- 9/5 , I measured over 25". Don't think I'll ever see so much rain in that period of time again.