SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December 2018 General Discussion & Observations

Zelocita Weather

6 minutes ago, Toekneeweather said:

Gfs is way south

canadian also

still time but that confluence is stronger than the storm. Today’s 12z canadian showed how the low could break the confluence and it showed a snowstorm

Uh? CMC is north of 12z and is a coastal hugger.

Just now, Toekneeweather said:

Let me ask you guys something... would you rate the gfs or Canadian higher? 

January 4th snowstorm last year Canadian hunted it before anyone else

4C5275B7-70D6-4AF2-989B-30CE5F6FE1F0.png

2 junk piles. Canadian is a bigger pile of trash but every dog has its day. Northern stream came in out of nowhere o the Canadian.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, donsutherland1 said:

1983 was exceptionally wet. A local maximum might have existed in a small area running from near Central Park into lower Westchester County.

Upon final review, the decision to leave the 1983 record intact could well have been based on a combination of radar (albeit limited compared to today's), local sites, and statistical analysis. The issue with the rain gauge may have been re-examined and found insignificant.

The 1983 figure is 4.3σ above the historic mean annual precipitation (1869-2017) and 0.9σ above the 2011 figure of 72.81". I looked for other sites with similar or greater statistical differences. Currently, Wilmington, NC's 2018 figure of 95.82" is is 4.5σ above the historic mean annual precipitation (1871-2017) and 1.3σ above the second highest figure (83.65", 1877). The most extreme statistical difference that I found (and my search was not all-inclusive) was at Nashua (2 NNW). There, the 2008 record of 82.19" is  4.9σ above the historic mean annual precipitation (1886-2017) and 2.2σ above the second highest figure (60.64", 2011). Therefore, in the larger context of precipitation records, New York City's 1983 amount is not unprecedented when it comes to statistical comparisons.

Nevertheless, it's still plausible that the 1983 figure was somewhat lower than the 80.56" amount that was recorded. However, after having looked for similar or greater statistical outliers, my confidence in the 1983 figure is greater than it was yesterday prior to that examination. Overall, I have confidence in the judgment made by the National Climatic Data Center.

Thanks Don, for the rigorous analysis!  I thought the 80" might have been slightly above what it should have been,but based on nearby reports, I thought the actual number should still have been higher than 70"  So somewhere between the 2011 number and the 80" figure is probably a safe bet.

18 hours ago, bluewave said:

The only weather events that I can remember from 1983 were the Feb snowstorm, spring flash floods, and summer heat. Plenty of basement flooding in Long Beach during that spring deluge. 

Top wettest years at JFK

#1....59.12....1983

#2...57.18.....1975

#3...55.78.....2011

#4...55.73.....1989

#5...53.22.....1984

#6...51.57.....2018

Yes, 1983 held all our 90+ degree heat records before the 90s came along.  I think the extreme heat lasted well into September, I recall it being in the upper 90s into mid September and mid 90s in late September!

Next 8 days averaging 35degs., or about 4 or 5degs. BN.

EPS, last 4 runs 0" Snow.   GEFS running 0" to 3" Snow.    GFS has had four runs w/o any precipitation period!---for the next 10 days.   The CMC probably thinks it is dealing with a tropical system, so it is blowing it up as usual. lol.

Giving the models another 48 hours to straighten up and live right on this potential Dec.9-11 event .