• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December 2018 General Discussion & Observations

Zelocita Weather

I wonder if there was some type of error at the NYC rain gauge in 1983. It was the only station in the area to reach 80 inches of precipitation that year. In any event, several stations are in the top 10 for 2018 updated through yesterday.

Westtest years around the area

EWR

#1........69.91....2011

#2........65.50....1983

#12......52.38....2018

NYC

#1.......80.56.....1983

#2.......72.81.....2011

#9.......59.09.....2018

LGA

#1......65.34.....2011

#2......60.84.....1983

#9......51.94.....2018

JFK

#1.....59.12......1983

#3....55.78.......2011

#6....51.57.......2018

HPN

#1....74.15.......1983

#2....73.29.......2011

#20...53.15......2018

ISP

#1....65.32......1989

#5....57.67......2018

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, bluewave said:

I wonder if there was some type of error at the NYC rain gauge in 1983. It was the only station in the area to reach 80 inches of precipitation that year. In any event, several stations are in the top 10 for 2018 updated through yesterday.

Westtest years around the area

EWR

#1........69.91....2011

#2........65.50....1983

#12......52.38....2018

NYC

#1.......80.56.....1983

#2.......72.81.....2011

#9.......59.09.....2018

LGA

#1......65.34.....2011

#2......60.84.....1983

#9......51.94.....2018

JFK

#1.....59.12......1983

#2....60.84.......1983

#9....50.64.......2018

HPN

#1....74.15.......1983

#2....73.29.......2011

#20...53.15......2018

ISP

#1....65.32......1989

#5....57.67......2018

For a while the weather bureau did not count it saying there might be a problem with the gauge...then they restored it...Even this year central park is at least 15% higher than JFK or lga...

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, uncle W said:

For a while the weather bureau did not count it saying there might be a problem with the gauge...then they restored it...Even this year central park is at least 15% higher than JFK or lga...

Joe as far as I know it's bogus...I can remember the explanation of a faulty weld causing leakage into the gage...That total was 17" higher than my station even. Those totals were said to be thrown out but somehow it seems to have been forgot about. If you do a Google search you can find some further  info.

40 minutes ago, uncle W said:

5 minutes ago, doncat said:

Joe as far as I know it's bogus...I can remember the explanation of a faulty weld causing leakage into the gage...That total was 17" higher than my station even. Those totals were said to be thrown out but somehow it seems to have been forgot about. If you do a Google search you can find some further  info.

Thanks, I missed this article which was posted in 2011.

https://thestarryeye.typepad.com/weather/2011/12/2011-not-1983-is-new-yorks-wettest-year.html

For some reason they've chosen to ignore the fact that 1983's total of 80.56" was invalidated after it was discovered that, beginning in May, Central Park's rain gauge was broken.  According to Alan Rezek, chief of the Eastern Division's office back then, a faulty weld had been allowing extra water to seep in to be measured in addition to rain entering the gauge's calibrated opening.  Although he said New York's rainfall would be adjusted I've never come across a revised figure.  (TheLocal Climatological Data Reports for New York City leave the months of 1983 blank for precipitation and indicates the reason for the omission.)     

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Thanks, I missed this article which was posted in 2011.

https://thestarryeye.typepad.com/weather/2011/12/2011-not-1983-is-new-yorks-wettest-year.html

For some reason they've chosen to ignore the fact that 1983's total of 80.56" was invalidated after it was discovered that, beginning in May, Central Park's rain gauge was broken.  According to Alan Rezek, chief of the Eastern Division's office back then, a faulty weld had been allowing extra water to seep in to be measured in addition to rain entering the gauge's calibrated opening.  Although he said New York's rainfall would be adjusted I've never come across a revised figure.  (TheLocal Climatological Data Reports for New York City leave the months of 1983 blank for precipitation and indicates the reason for the omission.)     

Interesting question. Is it possible that the original diagnosis of the faulty weld was incorrect? If not, the records should be revised as appropriate. Accuracy matters.

Personally, I believe 2011 may hold the record or be slightly behind. Statistically, the 1983 figure is so extreme, the faulty gauge seems like a reasonable explanation. However, White Plains recorded 74.15" that year, so a mid-70s figure might be plausible.

• Like 4

Gfs para is suppressed again. I would think that high in the Atlantic would actually help bring the low more north. We’ll have to keep an eye on that squished high pressure if it has enough pressure to make our low pressure run up the coast instead of going out to sea like the GFS para is showing. The gfs and cmc had that idea a bit more than the gfs para.

C3556405-C0A0-4B3C-9E9E-DB4494E2C83A.png

F4AB1DBB-0AB1-4B21-A914-41961F45DC16.png

48 minutes ago, Ericjcrash said:

It pretty much goes over the BM but obviously far out and it keeps getting pushed back. Not much cold air around either on the GFS.

Cold air is marginal but would probably be enough to give us snow if the track and subsequently heavier precip were to align. 

It's still so far out there that it's not worth checking yet. Get it under 5 days and then we'll talk. 

6 minutes ago, ForestHillWx said:

I'd like to see some semblance of high pressure in Quebec. Without it, I'd worry whatever cranks in the southern stream will cut. Apps runner or sorts. 

There is too much confluence up north for this to be a cutter or an apps runner.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, ForestHillWx said:

I'd like to see some semblance of high pressure in Quebec. Without it, I'd worry whatever cranks in the southern stream will cut. Apps runner or sorts. 

Yeah this isn’t cutting, the confluence will keep pushing this down south. Exactly what’s happening with the euro run. Suppressed to the max

31 minutes ago, Toekneeweather said:

Yeah this isn’t cutting, the confluence will keep pushing this down south. Exactly what’s happening with the euro run. Suppressed to the max

We have been through this many times

Models overdo the confluence until it gets closer.

I don't see how there will be a lot of confluence to squash this.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Snow88 said:

Luckily we’re so far away that there’s plenty of time for this to change! By Tuesday I would really look elsewhere if were still looking at suppression

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Toekneeweather said:

Luckily we’re so far away that there’s plenty of time for this to change! By Tuesday I would really look elsewhere if were still looking at suppression

just ask yourself - how many systems were suppressed this season so far ? The answer is obvious.....

52 minutes ago, Snow88 said:

It’s never ending up as far south as the 12Z Euro solely based on climo.  SC and GA don’t see these sort of snow events this early in the season.  I doubt it verifies that far down but it sure may end up as a miss still where DCA is hit and nobody north of there 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

It’s never ending up as far south as the 12Z Euro solely based on climo.  SC and GA don’t see these sort of snow events this early in the season.  I doubt it verifies that far down but it sure may end up as a miss still where DCA is hit and nobody north of there 

See them like the euro depicts maybe every decade at best. 2-3' for Greenville/Spartanburg. Imagine if that verified lol.