Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December 2018 General Discussion & Observations

Zelocita Weather

3 minutes ago, NEG NAO said:

No - ignore the GFS - its Para run is going south and east of us - so does the GEM - waiting for the Euro o finish running - apparently early next year the GFS Para is taking over for the old GFS for obvious reasons...…..

The GFS is the worst model in my opinion. It had rain the whole entire time for November 15th snowstorm. Gfs para was much better and I think that’s going to be the official gfs starting January.

25 minutes ago, bluewave said:

It would be pretty wild if we could get our first season with a 6 inch storm in Nov, Dec, Jan, Feb, and Mar for NYC. Posters won't be happy if we get an under-measured storm  in one of those months around 5.8" or 5.9".;)

So true, even though it would be interesting to see the Folks that measure in the park walking around funny because of where their rulers ended up.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, CIK62 said:

EPS very consistent with the Dec. 09-10 potential.........3",10",1",0".........cough, cough, cough.       At least the GEFS has been stuck at 2" or 3" every run.     Without a phase----they are all in a daze.

meteorologists don't look at ensemble average snowfall a week+ in advance to predict whether or not there may be a storm.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, bluewave said:

It would be pretty wild if we could get our first season with a 6 inch storm in Nov, Dec, Jan, Feb, and Mar for NYC. Posters won't be happy if we get an under-measured storm  in one of those months around 5.8" or 5.9".;)

Thats not enough I want April too ;-)

1896- was that the year with the very cold January blizzard?

Gfs is definitely more amplified than its previous runs.

top image: latest run 0z run

bottom image: early evening 18z run

B84211A2-808E-4FF2-919B-47DDF1D97692.png

0FEBFDB5-AEF3-47ED-B146-D36AB395E8E4.png

0z run

B01322C4-2550-446E-9358-3F789EE9BF73.png

18z run

A42DC08C-0696-448A-A8C7-8B36EE09A37F.png

Images courtesy

www.tropicaltidbits.com

Big hit incoming! In my opinion.

Edit:

0z run

81CA0FB7-829E-46D7-A267-07AD5E432F92.png

18z run

9F8ACABE-B7B4-4C23-851B-93F61AD29E24.png

Big hit happening next Sunday 7am! 

8B9E822C-88E3-4DFE-A1DB-AF1CBE9F3D07.png

It has the look of January 23rd 2016 nam caught that perfect cause every model was suppressing it at the end everyone followed nam pulling up the coast and dumping 26 and change of snow in Central Park breaking the all time high for a 24 hrs snowstorm.

Edit: GFS finishes a bit suppressed but it does snow decent here anyway. Philly is the bullseye. Last run was mostly rain but this could be a trend towards a more  suppressed solution like the euro and cmc.

8208A2C9-2B32-4DF5-BFE2-2BC401333A84.png

• Like 2

It should be -50 in Yakutsk Siberia  Monday morning their time just before sunrise around 9:17am 

ive been paying attention to this city’s temperatures for a long time probably ten years and I don’t ever remember it this cold & this early. Another 20 days really of having less sun and it than it finally starts retreating back. Of course for us we gain day light but some of these cities don’t have sun weeks and possibly months after winter solstice. 

657255CC-28B5-451E-A8E8-A936A663F86D.png

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Toekneeweather said:

It should be -50 in Yakutsk Siberia  Monday morning their time just before sunrise around 9:17am 

ive been paying attention to this city’s temperatures for a long time probably ten years and I don’t ever remember it this cold & this early. Another 20 days really of having less sun and it than it finally starts retreating back. Of course for us we gain day light but some of these cities don’t have sun weeks and possibly months after winter solstice. 

657255CC-28B5-451E-A8E8-A936A663F86D.png

Thats a famous city- the one with the record for being the coldest city in the world and the one with the largest temperature variations.

Two others that are close by, but are considered towns and not cities and are even colder, are Omyakon and Verkhoyansk.  Look at their temps too.

46 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

Thats a famous city- the one with the record for being the coldest city in the world and the one with the largest temperature variations.

Two others that are close by, but are considered towns and not cities and are even colder, are Omyakon and Verkhoyansk.  Look at their temps too.

It’s Oymyakon and I think most times Yakutsk has the coldest temperature before the rest of these smallercities or towns. It tells me it’s  going to get really cold soon. Yakutsk must be a beautiful city during the summer. Crystal clear blue skies with a nice breeze with many days reaching into the 80’s

2 minutes ago, Toekneeweather said:

It’s Oymyakon and I think most times Yakutsk has the coldest temperature before the rest of these smallercities or towns. It tells me thats going to get really cold soon. Yakutsk must be a beautiful city during the summer. Crystal clear blue skies with a nice breeze with many days reaching into the 80’s

Yaktusk can get to 100 or higher in the summer and down to about -80 in the winter.  The spelling of the other cities depends upon the translation, they use J and Y interchangeably, I've seen it spelled with a J too.  That city gets to 90 in the summer and the lowest I have them listed for is -98 in the winter.  Verkhoyansk has gotten close to 100 in the summer and -90 in the winter.

T

14 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

Yaktusk can get to 100 or higher in the summer and down to about -80 in the winter.  The spelling of the other cities depends upon the translation, they use J and Y interchangeably, I've seen it spelled with a J too.  That city gets to 90 in the summer and the lowest I have them listed for is -98 in the winter.  Verkhoyansk has gotten close to 100 in the summer and -90 in the winter.

I haven’t seen Yakutsk ever at -80 but I’m sure they’ve hit. Yakutsk did hit 101 in 2011 all time high. But it doesn’t hit every year. It does seem to have 90’s every year. I would love to visit that city during the summer though for some reason. The two small cities you just mentioned hold for two of the coldest temperatures in the northern hemisphere 

coldest:

Oymyakon reached −67.7 °C (−89.9 °F)

2nd coldest:

Verkhoyansk −67.6 °C (−89.7 °F)

by the way para gfs was suppressed for next week.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Toekneeweather said:

T

I haven’t seen Yakutsk ever at -80 but I’m sure they’ve hit. Yakutsk did hit 101 in 2011 all time high. But it doesn’t hit every year. It does seem to have 90’s every year. I would love to visit that city during the summer though for some reason. The two small cities you just mentioned hold for two of the coldest temperatures in the northern hemisphere 

coldest:

2nd coldest:

I know they have permafrost in the winter, I just dont know how much it snows there.  I've always wanted to see them too, and been envious of their temperature extremes.  Sometimes I wish we didn't have a huge ocean like the Pacific to the west of us and North America was much larger, then maybe we'd have temperature extremes like that too.

Other places to check out and keep track of are cities like Sapporo, in Japan, they have noreasters just like we do, but in the same way the West Pac sees much larger and more frequent typhoons, cities like Sapporo get much larger noreasters too.  I remember seeing pictures of snow that were tens of feet high (not drifts!)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Toekneeweather said:

T

coldest:

2nd coldest:

yakutsk does not get as cold as it use to be due to climate change...

Next 8 days averaging 42degs., or about 2degs. AN.

EPS back to 9" for next weekend.   GEFS just stuck at 2"-3" for days already.

Update from yesterday:

EPS very consistent with the Dec. 09-10 potential.........3",10",1",0",9",0".........cough, cough, cough.       At least the GEFS has been stuck at 2" or 3" every run.     Without a phase----they are all in a daze.    GEFS down to 1"-2".      

4 hours ago, Ericjcrash said:

Euro is a very very narrow crush job.

Screenshot_20181202-022928_Samsung Internet.jpg

Drag that yellow East 10 miles and I'm golden. Still hard to get loaded with snow this close to the ocean. Last temperature I saw was 51°. The river, however was partially frozen from that Arctic blast we had on Thanksgiving