Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
December Discussion

NorEastermass128

4 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Whats that got to do with punting the next 3 weeks? 

You seem overly confident on significant snows that last week of December.....the pattern is more favorable then, but its not that difficult to envision the rest of December being lackluster should that final week fail to produce like the first week to 10 days.

2 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

You seem overly confident on significant snows that last week of December.....the pattern is more favorable then, but its not that difficult to envision the rest of December being lackluster should that final week fail to produce like the first week.

I mean of course, you could say that about any given week time period ever. That could happen in your outlook as well.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ginx snewx said:

I mean of course, you could say that about any given week time period ever. That could happen in your outlook as well.

Of course...it already has..I thought we'd score some modest snows in early December.

All I'm saying is we really only have a week to play with in December because the next two weeks of December are unlikely to produce much.

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

There’s been calls of 7 days or more of 50 or higher . I don’t see how that is remotely possible 

Even if there were, it's not like most of us have a pack to protect. It's a nuisance at best and, as Ray has repeatedly pointed out, we start to score heading toward the new year.

2 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Of course...it already has..I thought we'd score some modest snows in early December.

All I'm saying is we really only have a week to play with in December because the next two weeks of December are unlikely to produce much.

I don't trust op ens modeling post day 5 during a pattern reshuffle for specifics. Day to day situation. Warmer pattern but serviceable with the right timing and SWs. Very meh in the historical record of warm ups then we reset.

1 minute ago, Ginx snewx said:

I don't trust op ens modeling post day 5 during a pattern reshuffle for specifics. Day to day situation. Warmer pattern but serviceable with the right timing and SWs. Very meh in the historical record of warm ups then we reset.

We're on the same page with respect to the big picture....December could have very easily had like 15-20" of snow already...tough break.

2 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Compared to some pre-Xmas torches we've had recently, this one is tame. There was one year recently where it was almost 70 Christmas day and we were out on the deck drinking bloodies without so much as a shawl. 

11 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

See what just happened this past weekend for gradient south 

That isn't what they mean by "gradient", though....they are using it to imply that mid level warmth will be nearby to the south, so the thermal gradient will be compressed....aka SWFE.

Gradient this year seems to be farther north, more like Concord/lakes region and nothing I see in the future changes that. Next weekends system is a vast improvement compared to what it was showing last week. GFS secondary now showing it finishing as some frozen, and ECMWF suppresses nearly the entire event. Baby steps.

Warmup is pretty much gone on most NWP. A couple days mild associated with the cutter next weekend but then back to a cooler flow and average temps before one shorter cold shot comes through with the chance of frozen setting the stage for what looks like a big PNA+ pattern for the holidays. Some of the holiday week data is downright heading into the freezer.

1 minute ago, MarkO said:

Gradient this year seems to be farther north, more like Concord/lakes region and nothing I see in the future changes that. Next weekends system is a vast improvement compared to what it was showing last week. GFS secondary now showing it finishing as some frozen, and ECMWF suppresses nearly the entire event. Baby steps.

The mean baroclinic zone in a weak el nino season will change that. Anyway, I don't think it will be a "gradient" pattern for too long....as we move into January I think it will be more about just getting the storms.

• Like 1

First I hear "Concord, NH North" gradient and then "South to North Carolina" gradient.  This tells me right away that since mid to late November "NO" true storm track or gradient pattern has been established yet.  Need to see a few more storms before that kind of talk can have merit.

2 minutes ago, Greg said:

First I hear "Concord, NH North" gradient and then "South to North Carolina" gradient.  This tells me right away that since mid to late November "NO" true storm track or gradient pattern has been established yet.  Need to see a few more storms before that kind of talk can have merit.

It wouldn't matter anyway because the pattern going forward isn't necessarily the same. Wavelengths in November and early December will be different than later on. 

We're in El Niño so we're unlikely to see any sustained La Niña type gradient. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

It wouldn't matter anyway because the pattern going forward isn't necessarily the same. Wavelengths in November and early December will be different than later on. 

We're in El Niño so we're unlikely to see any sustained La Niña type gradient. 

I'm on your side with this. I never anticipated a "LA Nina" type pattern/gradient.  I'm generally saying that in this weak "El Nino" pattern/gradient, none have realy been established yet or at least a majority of them.  Again, we need more storms to track to get a nice round number on that.

Wasn't there some correlation between weak El Nino modoki and a more northern gradient?

NNE has far overperformed climo than southern and regardless of what happens here on out, past snowfall influences final tallies. Another important factor is how much elevation has affected snowfall totals. With a mild mid-December, I believe it increases that gradient. By end December, we're ~1/3 into the snowfall season.

Will, are you saying a La Nina pattern is more predictable? 

7 minutes ago, MarkO said:

Wasn't there some correlation between weak El Nino modoki and a more northern gradient?

NNE has far overperformed climo than southern and regardless of what happens here on out, past snowfall influences final tallies. Another important factor is how much elevation has affected snowfall totals. With a mild mid-December, I believe it increases that gradient. By end December, we're ~1/3 into the snowfall season.

Will, are you saying a La Nina pattern is more predictable? 

I don't count "Mesoscale" features such as elevation.  It has too small of an area coverage.  What most are looking for/at is "Synopticscale" features.  The "Mean Storm Track" That is where the money will really be that delivers the goods wide spread. Again, as I had stated earlier, more storm tracks will help decide this.  Things like the baroclinicic zone set-up or where the north and south jet streams tend to interact, Miller A and Miller B storm tracks are paramount.