Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December Discussion

NorEastermass128

2 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Does anyone give a holler if I start a new thread, "December Discussion II" ...  I have some new information re the status of things/winter but ...heh, putting a bulletin into 150 pages of obscuring froth isn't really  worth it.

Why 

do you really believe people scroll back 20 pages but not 90

#Wedontscroll 

that said December discussion II will be another disaster with no snow falling from sky 

1 hour ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

He's given you plenty of opportunity for you to counter his points but you have failed to do so. 

Lol, the guy is comparing this Niño to 97-98. There is NOTHING remotely similar and he fails to see that. And did you see his call last winter? If you reverse his map he nailed it. For some strange reason his forecast for New England is the same as last year, mild and dry. He really isn’t worth engaging 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Zach’s Pop said:

Lol, the guy is comparing this Niño to 97-98. There is NOTHING remotely similar and he fails to see that. And did you see his call last winter? If you reverse his map he nailed it. For some strange reason his forecast for New England is the same as last year, mild and dry. He really isn’t worth engaging 

Exactly!!  

17 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Why 

do you really believe people scroll back 20 pages but not 90

#Wedontscroll 

that said December discussion II will be another disaster with no snow falling from sky 

Nah, people don't 'take things as seriously' in a 150 pages where the ballast of content ranges from tedious adversary nit picking to generally vapid twaddle.

24 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Does anyone give a holler if I start a new thread, "December Discussion II" ...  I have some new information re the status of things/winter but ...heh, putting a bulletin into 150 pages of obscuring froth isn't really  worth it.

Remember to put "No Whining, Discussion Only" in the sub-title.

23 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Looks like BN to N temps EPS which by late Dec / early Jan should yield winter storm threats anywhere north of NYC . This is a decent look

uugjejR.jpg

Though I mostly don’t know what I’m talking about, would that map imply a gradient that would be good for a lot of us also with the possibility of re-development and storms slowing down due to the confluence to the north and northeast of us with high pressure over Greenland and a low out in the 50-50 position? Also a cold supply from high-pressure over North West Canada and a split flow from the trough in the west

idk if I'd call it "decent". I don't think I'd look at that and say "sign me up". I mean, it can obviously work out even with +2C, but the key is how we get there. We've reiterated the nina gradient look for days now, but that can work out snowy or it can work out mostly wet. The key will be where the mean confluence and thermal gradient set up. We can analyze it to death all we want, but it's near impossible to pin that down 2 weeks out.

18 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

I’m just sort of talking out loud here, but sure it’s possible it could act like one. However I don’t think we are seeing that here. I think enough anomalies exist to have an effect. It’s just been temporarily interfered with by the MJO.

There are other things at play too Scotty and Jer.  For example, in our new background state, precip amounts are about double what they used to be.  So let's say we use 1968-69 as an analog, which comes from a much drier era, if we had that same pattern in place (and it's an analog for this year) we can expect snowfall (and rainfall) amounts to possibly be 50-100% higher because of our new background state.  Caution must be applied when using older analogs to adjust for the new climate in terms of storms being much juicier than they used to be and bombing out much more quickly.

20 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

There are other things at play too Scotty and Jer.  For example, in our new background state, precip amounts are about double what they used to be.  So let's say we use 1968-69 as an analog, which comes from a much drier era, if we had that same pattern in place (and it's an analog for this year) we can expect snowfall (and rainfall) amounts to possibly be 50-100% higher because of our new background state.  Caution must be applied when using older analogs to adjust for the new climate in terms of storms being much juicier than they used to be and bombing out much more quickly.

I think you are overdoing that. We have been averaging the same amount of precip give or take a few inches for the last 100 years. 

10 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I think you are overdoing that. We have been averaging the same amount of precip give or take a few inches for the last 100 years. 

I think it's quite a bit more the further south you go.  Down here we were in the lower 40s range between the 40s-70s and now its closer to 50 inches of rain per year (80s-00s or 90s-10s so far.)

5 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

I think it's quite a bit more the further south you go.  Down here we were in the lower 40s range between the 40s-70s and now its closer to 50 inches of rain per year (80s-00s or 90s-10s so far.)

You also need to look at decadal cycles. We have had wet and dry 20-30 yr stretches. This year the pattern has features a lot of troughs in the east, and a wet pattern. A warmer atmosphere can hold more water, but even a 1C increase is only a 7% increase in water vapor.

4 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

You also need to look at decadal cycles. We have had wet and dry 20-30 yr stretches. This year the pattern has features a lot of troughs in the east, and a wet pattern. A warmer atmosphere can hold more water, but even a 1C increase is only a 7% increase in water vapor.

This year was so much more humid than anything that has happened here previously, it was almost unbearable and I was considering a move to Caribou Maine lol.  I heard you dont get allergies up there.  When it's very humid I can barely breathe even with the a/c running.  Constant allergies.

JFK this year had an astounding 42 75+ dew point days, their previous record was 24 from 1983.  Prior to the 1980s the highest number of 75+ dew point days was 19, since then it has gotten into the lower 20s a few times, but never anything like the 42 we had this year.  Almost double the previous record :(

6 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Obviously some localized variance, but say average WV is about 10 kg/m^2, that 7% increase is about 1 kg/m^2. Studies have shown around a 20% increase in precip for each 1 kg/m^2 additional WV. 

I know that was in the vicinity of the Harvey attribution study.